Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another Government Train Wreck
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Government Train Wreck (Read 238 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Another Government Train Wreck
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 12:54pm:
This is an opportunity for libertarians to practice what they preach. Do they believe what they preach about bad government and consequences such as this train wreck, or are they just Republicans at heart?

You get to go first Chief!

Ok, I'll go first.   I absolutely believe that when government gets involved in things they know little or nothing about, BAD THINGS HAPPEN AND PEOPLE SOMETIMES DIE.

Even the government knows this!  The government will sometimes contract private-sector engineers to double-check computations made by gov't engineers.  My father was one these private-sector engineers.  I remember the horror stories he told us about government totally screwing things up.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 2:34pm:
Ok, I'll go first.   I absolutely believe that when government gets involved in things they know little or nothing about, BAD THINGS HAPPEN AND PEOPLE SOMETIMES DIE.

Even the government knows this!  The government will sometimes contract private-sector engineers to double-check computations made by gov't engineers.  My father was one these private-sector engineers.  I remember the horror stories he told us about government totally screwing things up.

And much more often government will have to enact legal regulations in order to stop private businesses from wreaking havoc on a country.

Nobody knows this better than an engineer who is licensed to make decisions that can impact on people's lives and even cost lives.

As Trump deregulates, roads will become unsafe, bridges will fall down, more people will be killed in car accidents when he deregulates the mandatory wearing of seatbelts, air bags will become optional in cars. And on and on it will go until the public start asking for the regulations back.

That's the equivalent of asking for socially responsible government.

There's a very good reason why only about 5% are pseudo-libertarian wingnuts! In another country it could have likely ever been no more than 2%.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:00pm:
...And on and on it will go until the public start asking for the regulations back.

I doubt the public will want the regulations back. Why would anyone want less freedoms?

There's a very good reason why only about 5% are pseudo-libertarian wingnuts! In another country it could have likely ever been no more than 2%.

5%???  LOL.  It seems you've been misinformed.     Here's a little reality check for ya:

The Gallup Poll has a new estimate of the number of libertarians in the American electorate. In their 2015 Governance survey they find that 27% of respondents can be characterized as libertarians, the highest number it has ever found.

https://www.cato.org/blog/gallup-finds-more-libertarians-electorate

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
there are similarities with dismantling OSHA. A safety device could have prevented this accident. The Trump government mentality would be for saving the money it would have cost to have those deviced installed on this train.
OSHA is not dismantled and this still happened.

Quote:
Nobody knows this better than an engineer who is licensed to make decisions that can impact on people's lives and even cost lives.
Right.  Praise Allah that the engineer on that train had an official government license.  Someone could have gotten hurt!

Quote:
As Trump deregulates, roads will become unsafe, bridges will fall down, more people will be killed in car accidents when he deregulates the mandatory wearing of seatbelts, air bags will become optional in cars. And on and on it will go until the public start asking for the regulations back.
You left out the plagues of locusts and the hungry wolves coming down out of the mountains.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
This was a brand new train on it's inaugural run.

If safety devices are available that prevent yahoo engineers from speeding through slow corners, and they weren't installed and working, someone is liable.

If an engineer was allowed to be alone in the control cab  and he was high on cocaine and texting his girlfriend, he is liable. But so is the person who was being paid to be helping him and obviously wasn't. Maybe he was sexting his girlfriend.

Or maybe it was anarchists.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 5:32pm:
This was a brand new train on it's inaugural run.

No it wasn't, but close.

Quote:
If safety devices are available that prevent yahoo engineers from speeding through slow corners, and they weren't installed and working, someone is liable.

That's right if regulations demand the device. If it's been deregulated then there will be nobody liable.

Quote:
If an engineer was allowed to be alone in the control cab  and he was high on cocaine and texting his girlfriend, he is liable. But so is the person who was being paid to be helping him and obviously wasn't. Maybe he was sexting his girlfriend.

Or maybe it was anarchists.

Either way it's just you up to your asshole tactics to derail a conversation.

Good for you because you're making a mockery of the pseudo-libertarian bullshit that's getting in the way on this forum. We're at least working together on that asshole.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:05pm:
If it's been deregulated then there will be nobody liable.
From this contention, many serious problems arise. You would abandon the common law.

Without individual responsibility, anarchy is far more likely that liberty.

Who, pray tell is liable when there are "regulations" and train wrecks happen anyway?

Can I sue the regulators?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:46pm:
From this contention, many serious problems arise. You would abandon the common law.

Without individual responsibility, anarchy is far more likely that liberty.

Who, pray tell is liable when there are "regulations" and train wrecks happen anyway?

Can I sue the regulators?

You're a mutt so sue your cousin who you were inbred with.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Do you suppose it was a 'false flag' train wreck, and that the intention was to set things up to bankrupt private railroads so the government will have an excuse to 'nationalize' them?

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/04/government-media-push-costly-new-safety?utm_me...

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:08am:
Do you suppose it was a 'false flag' train wreck, and that the intention was to set things up to bankrupt private railroads so the government will have an excuse to 'nationalize' them?

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/04/government-media-push-costly-new-safety?utm_me...

First determine if it really is costly. It's likely not and will be paid for by avoiding just one wreck.

Anyway, it was supposed to already be installed and now it's definitely costly not having it.

Socially responsible capitalism just a little too late. While the libertarian bumbles along with no idea whatsoever on what to do. So why not just allow a few more big train wrecks before deciding on safety measures?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another Government Train Wreck
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy