Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tell all: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tell all: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums. (Read 238 times)
AlayneLeung
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Tell all: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.
Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Professional sports teams and professional sports stadiums and professional sports games are a waste of time and money (that's what I and many other Libertarians believe).  Sooner or later governments will become corrupt that they will require people to attend sports stadiums to do exercises there to reduce obesity and have people watch sports teams, while paying high priced tickets to watch them, to "reduce violence amongst people by providing non-violent hobbies".  So tell all beings: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Tell all: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I assume you mean we should spend tax money on them, the op and title read like you meant taxes are never applied to them.

Also, your op sounds like a crazy conspiracy, the government will eventually force us to gather in stadiums for mandatory exercise? Really?  There's a long and slippery slope between spending tax money on sports stadiums and exercise camps.

Any rate I oppose public funding(usually provide through tax breaks) for sports and entertainment venues or any other similar private businesses.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:07am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung wrote on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 2:47pm:
So tell all beings: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.

Amen to that! 

Professional sports teams/stadiums should enjoy Tax-Exempt status like any other place of worship.

[Most professional teams now say prayers in the locker-rooms before a game]

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:16am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:07am:
Professional sports teams/stadiums should enjoy Tax-Exempt status like any other place of worship.

One time, a co-worker caught me drinking a diet coke and said, "God doesn't want you to put that in your body."

So... would... that workplace... count too?

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:32am
Print Post  
if spots teams take subtizes for the sate government to build there statums  then i have no problem if that state government uses that as levarge to use them as public fitness centers but to force it on people is immoral unless it is part on ur poroll or probation

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2017 at 9:43am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:16am:
One time, a co-worker caught me drinking a diet coke and said, "God doesn't want you to put that in your body."

So... would... that workplace... count too?

Sorry, no.  Just because your co-worker referenced a god,  no group prayer occurred.  A church, (or place of worship) must have these 2 attributes:

1)  must have group prayers to god(s).
2)  must be accessible to the public during worship hours.

This prevents most homeowners from claiming their home as a church for the purpose of tax evasion.  Football stadiums, however, meet these criteria.

Edit:  your co-worker was right.... don't put diet coke in your body.  Not because god doesn't want it  -  because the stuff is sometimes used as an industrial solvent/rust remover.  Shocked

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 9:43am:
Edit:  your co-worker was right.... don't put diet coke in your body.  Not because god doesn't want it  -  because the stuff is sometimes used as an industrial solvent/rust remover.  Shocked

This is literally true.  I was in management at GE Power and GE Nuclear Energy and the engineers told me they did this to clean turbines when nothing else worked

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 9:27am
Print Post  
AlayneLeung: So tell all beings: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.

SkyChief wrote on Dec 23rd, 2017 at 1:07am:
Amen to that! 

Obviously I agree in terms of taking other people's tax money and paying it to draw a team.  However, we all pay taxes for infrastructure (roads, etc.).  And as huge tax revenue generators, the stadium should get what they are paying for to provide access just like you get a road down your street.

The trick of course is always where to draw the line

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Congress must immediately have KC R ROYALS trademark or word mark or service mark of that baseball team revoked because the Constitution prohibits Congress from issuing titles of nobility.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Dec 22nd, 2017 at 4:02pm:
Any rate I oppose public funding(usually provide through tax breaks) for sports and entertainment venues or any other similar private businesses.
Me too, but I look at it from the position of equality under the law and there being no authority to do it other than an assumption of usurped power under the general welfare clause, which is how these giant crony schemes are usually "justified"- "It will be good for the community if we give rich sports team owners and developers some of our tax revenue."

It's not a problem caused by the power to tax as Red keeps trying to have us believe, it's another instance of usurped powers being misused.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Tell all: never any taxes for professional sports teams or stadiums.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy