Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Shocking Behavior by Chicago Police Union
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Shocking Behavior by Chicago Police Union (Read 784 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Shocking Behavior by Chicago Police Union
Reply #40 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You know that's right now because of our discussions on unions. But I want you to say that you can support a union that operates within the law.

Why must I support a union that operates within the law?  I don't support corporations that operate within the law.  In any given union/corporation dispute, I don't support either side.  All I ask is that the government stay out of it, except to prevent violation of rights by either side.  If it does that, the free market will find the socially responsible solution.

Quote:
And of course, the union must have teeth and be able to operate within the law. That is, the law that hasn't been 'fixed' by government to make workers' rights non-existent.
Why "must" a union "have teeth?"  The free market will decide how much negotiating power it has.  Once force is taken out of the economic equation.

Off the top of my head, I would say that a union made up of highly-skilled, hard-to-replace workers would have a strong position in negotiations.  A union made up of low-skilled workers in a time in which unskilled laborers flood our border daily is probably wasting its members union dues.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:59pm:
Why must I support a union that operates within the law?  I don't support corporations that operate within the law.  In any given union/corporation dispute, I don't support either side.  All I ask is that the government stay out of it, except to prevent violation of rights by either side.  If it does that, the free market will find the socially responsible solution.

Why "must" a union "have teeth?"  The free market will decide how much negotiating power it has.  Once force is taken out of the economic equation.

Off the top of my head, I would say that a union made up of highly-skilled, hard-to-replace workers would have a strong position in negotiations.  A union made up of low-skilled workers in a time in which unskilled laborers flood our border daily is probably wasting its members union dues.

I've grown tired of your doubletalk burnsred. It doesn't fool me and it never did. It doesn't even irritate anymore.

I consider you to be a real piece of work with no redeemable qualities. Or at least none that have been expressed on this forum so far.

I'll keep looking though.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
I've grown tired of your doubletalk burnsred. It doesn't fool me and it never did. It doesn't even irritate anymore.

Apparently, it does . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:59pm:

Well said.
Donat won't understand it because his idea of a union is a government supported monopoly. I doubt he can even imagine unions created by free association, which is what you are talking about.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:36am
Print Post  
On the original topic-

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/02/heres-a-novel-idea-both-caller-and-polic?utm_m...

LA is one of those big "progressive" cities where the police are unionized and work for the government isn't it?

Which probably means the policeman who shot this guy will not be held accountable.

In this case, it's complicated by the fact that if they claim the cop did nothing wrong, it's hard for them to say the "prank" caller was at fault for anything except a misuse of 911.

"Progressives" will find some way to say the caller is guilty of manslaughter while the cop who actually shot the man is innocent of wrongdoing, I guess because shooting people is part of his job.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:36am:
On the original topic-

http://reason.com/blog/2018/01/02/heres-a-novel-idea-both-caller-and-polic?utm_m...

LA is one of those big "progressive" cities where the police are unionized and work for the government isn't it?

Which probably means the policeman who shot this guy will not be held accountable.

In this case, it's complicated by the fact that if they claim the cop did nothing wrong, it's hard for them to say the "prank" caller was at fault for anything except a misuse of 911.

"Progressives" will find some way to say the caller is guilty of manslaughter while the cop who actually shot the man is innocent of wrongdoing, I guess because shooting people is part of his job.

This sort of corruption seems to be nationwide in the US. What's the point of picking on LA only because it's one of the more 'progressive' cities?

On the bright side, you've at least started to condemn the violence in the progressive cities!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This sort of corruption seems to be nationwide in the US.
Didn't you look at the map I linked to, showing homicides by county?

Where all the homicides are, that's where all the corruption is. It's really a very localized phenomena, which is why it's so easy to see its roots.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 4:55pm:
Didn't you look at the map I linked to, showing homicides by county?

No. Can you post it again?

Quote:
Where all the homicides are, that's where all the corruption is. It's really a very localized phenomena, which is why it's so easy to see its roots.

There's no country where there isn't homicides is there? Where's that map?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
No. Can you post it again?

There's no country where there isn't homicides is there? Where's that map?

I won't post it again.
If I remember, 73% of U.S. counties had no homicides.

Corruption and homicide go hand in hand in a few very local and specific areas in the U.S.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:37pm:
I won't post it again.
If I remember, 73% of U.S. counties had no homicides.

Corruption and homicide go hand in hand in a few very local and specific areas in the U.S.

I'll help Don out, here Jeff, if you don't mind.  I actually doubted you on that zero homicides in most counties, but I looked it up on the googler and here you are:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/26/us-murders-concentrated-in-5-percent-counti...

You are correct, sir!  Pick any U.S. county at random and it likely has a zero homicide rate.

From the accompanying article:

One of the most interesting findings in the report is that areas with the highest gun ownership rates have low murder rates.

Don?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Shocking Behavior by Chicago Police Union
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy