Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › So This is Russia's Ace in the Hole.
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) So This is Russia's Ace in the Hole. (Read 115 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

So This is Russia's Ace in the Hole.
Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
http://news.antiwar.com/2017/12/25/nato-admiral-hypes-growing-russian-sub-activi...

Peace can win out as long as there's no doubt of a MAD nuclear deterrent staying alive and well.

Russia must continuously guard against convention conflicts being promoted by the US which are meant to infringe on it's region of interests.

Europe will look after it's own interests in the future and not be so interested in the US's cold war interests.

None of this can continue to be sold by the US as a threat from Russia. The only threat is retaliation on a huge scale.

IP Logged

merkelstan

Libertarian's Forum

Re: So This is Russia's Ace in the Hole.
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Catch up on the latest Scott Horton interviews.  Particularly the one with Hoh.

Some estimate an exchange between India and Pakistan would kill about 1 billion people due to crop failures.

A US/Russia exchange would be pretty much game over.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
merkelstan wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 7:10am:
Catch up on the latest Scott Horton interviews.  Particularly the one with Hoh.

Some estimate an exchange between India and Pakistan would kill about 1 billion people due to crop failures.

A US/Russia exchange would be pretty much game over.

I would if I knew what I was looking for. You seem to agree that an exchange between the US and Russia would be game over. It's obvious.

What did Scott Horton say to Hoh?
Hoh?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 12:41pm:
I would if I knew what I was looking for. You seem to agree that an exchange between the US and Russia would be game over. It's obvious.

What did Scott Horton say to Hoh?
Hoh?

M.A.D.

The Soviet Union probably had contingency plans to destroy the world if France accidentally nuked Kiev.

Dangerous people are in control of lots of nukes all over the world these days. None of the people in control of nukes sound rational to me other than France, Britain and Israel.

I can't comment on the U.S. because I don't really know who is in charge of our nukes.

That's pretty scarey.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:04pm:
http://news.antiwar.com/2017/12/25/nato-admiral-hypes-growing-russian-sub-activi...

Peace can win out as long as there's no doubt of a MAD nuclear deterrent staying alive and well.
There is no doubt that MAD will work in the foreseeable future.  At least as far as keeping nuclear superpowers from fighting each other in nuclear exchanges.  I give it credit also for preventing a conventional conflict during the cold war. 

I'm not sure it will work if a radical Muslim group manages to get a nuclear weapon which I'm actually surprised they haven't already.   Radical Islam is a mental illness and those afflicted would not be concerned about the possibility of nuclear disaster if they thought it was willed by Allah.

Quote:
Russia must continuously guard against convention conflicts being promoted by the US which are meant to infringe on it's region of interests.

Europe will look after it's own interests in the future and not be so interested in the US's cold war interests.

That would be awesome, but what makes you think that is likely?

Quote:
None of this can continue to be sold by the US as a threat from Russia. The only threat is retaliation on a huge scale. 

In the past the Russians have made the mistake of supporting the candidate whose views most match their own communist agenda.  This election, they realized that an American who actually knows how to negotiate is much preferable to those who promise to give them everything they want but only after the next election is over.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 2:04pm:

Keep tro-tro-trolling along ...

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Dec 27th, 2017 at 8:22pm:
There is no doubt that MAD will work in the foreseeable future.  At least as far as keeping nuclear superpowers from fighting each other in nuclear exchanges.  I give it credit also for preventing a conventional conflict during the cold war. 

I'm not sure it will work if a radical Muslim group manages to get a nuclear weapon which I'm actually surprised they haven't already.   Radical Islam is a mental illness and those afflicted would not be concerned about the possibility of nuclear disaster if they thought it was willed by Allah.

And I"m not sure that Muslims would resort to nuclear weapons, but I tend to think some would, and that would be all it would take. The problem is, the US response would need to be directed at some nation being responsible.

It would be interesting to consider what that would imply? Would the US ignore the evidence and strike out at Iran in order to fulfill it's agenda?

That would be awesome, but what makes you think that is likely?

There are some minimum factors within the US that see some value in that happening. However, in reality I think they would be of little consequence in making the decision. Why would you ask the question when it's presumably your agenda to see that happen? On the other hand, I think that Europe's refusal to pay up for US defense will become to be seen as US defense not being needed.

Quote:
In the past the Russians have made the mistake of supporting the candidate whose views most match their own communist agenda.  This election, they realized that an American who actually knows how to negotiate is much preferable to those who promise to give them everything they want but only after the next election is over.

The Russian people's agenda is communism??

I"m not sure what you were trying to say. What election? Russia's? Trump's election?

I think the Russian people are totally unconcerned on what Trump may or may not do. And there's little doubt that Putin will be re-elected with an honest 80% + support.

The reason for Putin's high popularity if simple to understand, as well as it being simple to understand why the US doesn't like it.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 1:15pm:
And I"m not sure that Muslims would resort to nuclear weapons, but I tend to think some would, and that would be all it would take.
Aren't the Iranians still pledged to do that, because they think God needs their help to get Armageddon started?

And what about Pakistan? What state is their government in? Who's in charge? Is it a failed government?

That might mean they might nuke India...

Surely the Turks have nukes by now. What about them?

Edit: Much of this is very worrisome to Russia.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 5:12pm:
Aren't the Iranians still pledged to do that, because they think God needs their help to get Armageddon started?

And what about Pakistan? What state is their government in? Who's in charge? Is it a failed government?

That might mean they might nuke India...

Surely the Turks have nukes by now. What about them?

Edit: Much of this is very worrisome to Russia.

You're supposed to be ignoring me sweet ass.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #9 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 6:28pm:
You're supposed to be ignoring me sweet ass.

So Jeff, he wants to cuddle with you and thinks your ass is sweet.  Is this creeping you out at all?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › So This is Russia's Ace in the Hole.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy