Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian New Year's Resolution: "Exercise" Your Rights!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian New Year's Resolution: "Exercise" Your Rights! (Read 493 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian New Year's Resolution: "Exercise" Your Rights!
Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:21pm:
That freedom you describe to have a barking dog taken away, is not a right, but a power.  The power that the nanny state grants to its favored tattletales. 

What you may not realize is that it is just as easy, if not easier, to become a victim of the tattletale/nanny state alliance as it is to gain power from it. 

I realise it well because I know they'll tell on me if I get a chicken. All the State is doing - trying to do - is make me equal. Libertarians take that away.

burnsred wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:21pm:
That is fine as long as hate speech is defined the way you wish it to be.  Many of the people who support banning hate speech would be happy to include arguing against welfare, affirmative action or open borders as "hateful" and to be banned.  There are certainly people who believe that a pro-Trump bumper sticker is hate speech.

Then everyone will be equal; no one will be allowed to have that bumper sticker.

I would prefer free speech, but it's not first priority. My first priority, my one wish really, is for equality. If I have that, I don't care about anything else.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 28th, 2017 at 11:51pm:
Rights are like muscles; exercise them and they get stronger, don't exercise them and they get weaker.

So, for your New Year's resolutions:

Speak freely (which includes photographing in public), bear arms, refuse to quarter soldiers, refuse warrantless searches (including demands for ID "real quick"), avoid testifying against yourself (remember the phrase, 'I don't answer questions'), insist on due process, and hold the government to its enumerated powers.

THAT is how we celebrate freedom in the new year.  We have that freedom.  The battle is over.  The battle's been won.  We have our freedom.  We have our rights.  We need only exercise them to keep them strong.

Fail to exercise them and they will weaken.

Don't trade freedom for safety, fellow libertarians.  You're better than that . . .

That's all wonderful and I agree completely, but, there are times and places and people in combination where doing that could get you hurt. Don't try it when you are alone. Try to stay away from crowds. Be leery of demanding all your rights when you are in a crowd, especially if the crowd is armed and getting unruly, as those "leftist" militia might be...

Edit: "Refuse to quarter soldiers"... Really? If a squad of DHS 'soldiers' breaks open your door demanding food and a place to sleep, you should for sure stand firmly on your guaranteed rights and drive them out. If you don't, if you don't hold firm to your rights, they might stay and rape your wife and daughter.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:13pm:
I take it you would have given the same advice to followers of MLK?

O.k. then we've established that you're still fighting for your freedom and rights. I'm not suggesting you should stop doing that; I'm suggesting that your methods will only get people in trouble.

The police are being encouraged by the state and the state doesn't stop them because police brutality in your country has come about out of necessity.

And then of course you don't want to engage in any conversation on why that has come to be so.

All I can tell you is that there's a better world out there which you need to discover. If your sense of patriotism prevents you from doing that then there's nothing more I can say to convince you.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 5:37pm:
The police are being encouraged by the state and the state doesn't stop them because police brutality in your country has come about out of necessity.

Are you at all aware of how much of your plan you constantly reveal?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #14 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:26pm:
All the State is doing - trying to do - is make me equal. Libertarians take that away

And yet, you can't back that up ...

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 8:56pm:
And yet, you can't back that up ...

Skychief did that for me actually.

The State gives me the right to do what he did and get that nasty, constantly barking dog taken away.

Just like the neighbours would get my chicken taken away.

But drat! I can't use State power to aggress against someone's property like that! Libertarians, you see, have rights.

If not for libertarians I'd be equal.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #16 - Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:17pm:

The State gives me the right to do what he did and get that nasty, constantly barking dog taken away.

But drat! I can't use State power to aggress against someone's property like that! Libertarians, you see, have rights.

So ... like what ???

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:28am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 3:26pm:
I realise it well because I know they'll tell on me if I get a chicken. All the State is doing - trying to do - is make me equal. Libertarians take that away.

No, we just hold you to an equal obligation not to violate the rights of others, as we hold them to an obligation not to violate your rights.

It's not a new idea, and the common law has been settling disputes about whose rights were infringed and how much for centuries.

It will be your local government and  a jury (if you want to go that far) that will decide whether or not your chicken is infringing on the rights of others, and they might not even force you to get rid of it, they might tell you you can keep it if you somehow prevent it from keeping your neighbors awake for half the night.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:34am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 29th, 2017 at 9:17pm:

The common law is full of cases where someone's use of their property infringed on the rights of others and the people violating the rights of others were required to stop doing it. If you are talking about the use of real property, yes, there are many ways people have used their real property to infringe on others rights and been forced by the courts to remedy the problem they caused that was deemed to be harming others.

The essence of the common law is equality of rights. It's very libertarian. Authoritarians hate it.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #19 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 8:34am:
The common law is full of cases where someone's use of their property infringed on the rights of others and the people violating the rights of others were required to stop doing it. If you are talking about the use of real property, yes, there are many ways people have used their real property to infringe on others rights and been forced by the courts to remedy the problem they caused that was deemed to be harming others.

The essence of the common law is equality of rights. It's very libertarian. Authoritarians hate it.

Yes it is and yes they do.

All preemptive business regulations are violations of our property rights as are discrimination laws.

The best anti-discrimination law is a free market and limiting our use of our business, which is our property, without our having been convicted of a crime is a direct violation of the fifth amendment

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian New Year's Resolution: "Exercise" Your Rights!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy