Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › At Least All Libertarians Can Agree on Gay Marriage, Right?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) At Least All Libertarians Can Agree on Gay Marriage, Right? (Read 380 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: At Least All Libertarians Can Agree on Gay Marriage, Right?
Reply #40 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:58pm:
It's not like registering your deed.  Registering your deed means that you are protecting your property rights from other citizens.

Registering your marriage will protect property rights in the case of a divorce, which involves two citizens who might not be in agreement on who actually owns the property.

My registered deed makes it easy for me to have squatters removed from my property. Yes, sure, squatters might be citizens too, what's that to me?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #41 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:34pm:
Registering your marriage will protect property rights in the case of a divorce, which involves two citizens who might not be in agreement on who actually owns the property

How is it easier to prove what you have in court if the marriage is sanctified by government?  I'm happily divorced.  I married for life and we had two great kids.  Unfortunately she never mentioned when we got married she'd never, ever stop riding my ass.  Now I'm in my 50s and I finally have peace.  I left just over two years ago and had to be separated for a year.  That year of not being nagged proved to me I was right to leave, not wrong.

But we went into court and had to prove everything we owned and earned.  Having a piece of paper saying we had "registered" our marriage meant nothing over having our own contract determined by us, not politicians

Jeff wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:34pm:
My registered deed makes it easy for me to have squatters removed from my property. Yes, sure, squatters might be citizens too, what's that to me?

I agreed on the deed.  Government is defending property rights with other citizens.  With marriage, there is nothing like that.  The paper just says you're government's bitch and they can use it to jerk you around

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:46pm:
How is it easier to prove what you have in court if the marriage is sanctified by government?

Sanctified panctified... Only God can sanctify marriage.

Registering your marriage gives both partners certain property rights. If you don't like the customary agreed upon division of property in a divorce, make up a contract and have both of you sign it in the presence of notaries, so it will hold up in court.

Or not. Just live together. Your decision, not mine.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #43 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:52pm:
Sanctified panctified... Only God can sanctify marriage.

Registering your marriage gives both partners certain property rights

Like what? 

If you don't like the customary agreed upon division of property in a divorce, make up a contract and have both of you sign it in the presence of notaries, so it will hold up in court

And why do you need government to do that for you in the first place?  Aren't we too dependent on government making those choices?

Or not. Just live together. Your decision, not mine.

Or just get married by a church, not the government

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:05pm:
Aren't we too dependent on government making those choices?

The choice is up to you. Do what you want to. Get married by the Pope or my Cousin. Register the marriage in the courthouse if you want to. Live together if you want to.

Nobody is forcing you to be tyrannized by registering your marriage or even to register it... Deal with property rights during a divorce or breakup however you want to. Good luck and love for all your days together.

If you think you need a law to keep you married, don't do it.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #45 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 10:16am:
So you're a "libertarian" who thinks government should not treat all it's citizens the same.  Everyone should pay lower taxes, not just people who screw and get paper saying they screw.  That's how government controls you.  They give you one perk then screw you over 10 times in return

It might be useful to ask him if straight, barren females should get the perk when they marry. Based on his reasoning, they shouldn't.

Based on how he answers you can see for yourself if he even has any reasoning or if he just believes in inequality fundamentally.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:52am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 6:10pm:
It might be useful to ask him if straight, barren females should get the perk when they marry. Based on his reasoning, they shouldn't.

Based on how he answers you can see for yourself if he even has any reasoning or if he just believes in inequality fundamentally.
Based On what I've said, I believe tax exemptions are illegal.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #47 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:52am:
Based On what I've said, I believe tax exemptions are illegal.

So do you, or do you not, think married people should get tax breaks?

kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 1:43pm:
I said that to Don, not you.  He was telling me how I feel.  I'm comparing wanting to talk about emotions to being a chick.  Guys as a generalization want to talk about feelings less then women as a generalization do

Generally yes. However there are exceptions.

Leftists are encouraged by their culture to share their feelings. I don't think it's really wrong, but it can be destructive if people are too sharky and just exploit it. I think this is why males generally don't share feelings; we're hypercompetitive and we expect the other guy to go for the blood in the water, so we refrain from bleeding.

Supergeniuses like me tend to be "sensitive" because all areas of the brain are on overdrive, including the ones traditionally associated with the opposite sex. Female supergeniuses sometimes tend to be more dominant and engineering-minded, things associated more with males. Sometimes they're even hypersexual.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:27pm:
So do you, or do you not, think married people should get tax breaks?

I think there are actually tax penalties for being married, but no, I don't think  taxes should be anything other than either apportioned or uniform.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
I agree that the government should get out of social engineering marriage and thus their should be no difference how the government treats any marriage.   Until then, gay marriage should be treated the same by the government as straight marriage.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › At Least All Libertarians Can Agree on Gay Marriage, Right?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy