Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Book Recommendations
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Libertarian Book Recommendations (Read 385 times)
Desiderius

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarian Book Recommendations
Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:38pm:
Yes, Ayn Rand isn't short for words.  Leftists hate it because she details the depth to which they go to control the economy.  It's worth the read.

There is roughly a 100 page tangent she goes on you may want to skip.  You'll know what I'm talking about when you say it.

Your comments on marriage certainly show you're already a long way to libertarian

I seem to agree with most aspects of Libertarianism but before I call myself a Libertarian I'd like to have a better understanding of it and politics in general as well as where Libertarianism differs with Conservatism because I tend to agree with them a lot too.

IP Logged

Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Desiderius wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:40pm:
So he's essentially a troll.

I don't bother to fight with that member because it's useless. You can find out more about his demeanour by reading his posts on this forum. Make up your own mind who you believe and what you believe, but base it on something rational about libertarianism.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Desiderius wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:40pm:
So he's essentially a troll.

Yep.  He claims to be Canadian, but everything he says is a Democrat party talking point and all he ever talks about are American politics.

He praises Russia, China, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea and says the US causes all evil in the world. 

He also says we're a bully, but says everyone is sick of us and is bullying us.

Also, he'll suck up to you and try to train you.  I leave the site for months just because I get tired of him taking dumps in every discussion.  Like his comment that libertarians support government marriage.  It just gets tired.

Am I forgetting anything, Don?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:45pm:
I don't bother to fight with that member because it's useless. You can find out more about his demeanour by reading his posts on this forum. Make up your own mind who you believe and what you believe, but base it on something rational about libertarianism.

You mean like all the endless dung on snorting pigs?  No wait, that's you ...

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:46pm:
Yep.  He claims to be Canadian, but everything he says is a Democrat party talking point and all he ever talks about are American politics.

He praises Russia, China, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea and says the US causes all evil in the world. 

He also says we're a bully, but says everyone is sick of us and is bullying us.

Also, he'll suck up to you and try to train you.  I leave the site for months just because I get tired of him taking dumps in every discussion.  Like his comment that libertarians support government marriage.  It just gets tired.

Am I forgetting anything, Don?

For the new member's sake, you have covered a lot of the libertarian principles I abide by.

They include the absence of hate for those countries which is strongly grounded in libertarianism.

It also includes criticism of the US for it's complete lack of principles that are precious to libertarians. Such as war for the sake of aggression.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:50pm:
They include the absence of hate for those countries which is strongly grounded in libertarianism

It's libertarian to not hate totalitarian States?  Bull

Don_G wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 12:50pm:
It also includes criticism of the US for it's complete lack of principles that are precious to libertarians. Such as war for the sake of aggression.

When have you opposed war?  You've only opposed the United States.  And yes, libertarians want less war.  Even if you were telling the truth that one thing does not remotely make you a libertarian

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
The Libertarian Alternative Tibor Machan, editor.

I recommend this because it is a wide ranging collection of essays by a wide variety of libertarians. It will give you an introductory look at the range and depth of libertarian thought.

It was my own introduction into 'libertarian' philosophy, but before I read it, I had already read the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution and the Federalist Papers, and several Ayn Rand novels.

IP Logged

Desiderius

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 1:43pm:
The Libertarian Alternative Tibor Machan, editor.

I recommend this because it is a wide ranging collection of essays by a wide variety of libertarians. It will give you an introductory look at the range and depth of libertarian thought.

It was my own introduction into 'libertarian' philosophy, but before I read it, I had already read the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution and the Federalist Papers, and several Ayn Rand novels.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Desiderius wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:38pm:
My pleasure.
I had some time this afternoon so I started what is my book of the month for sure.
I'm only 11 pages into it, and I'm excited to discover it is better than I expected, and I knew it would be excellent and thought it would be timely too, and it is.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Desiderius wrote on Dec 31st, 2017 at 2:38pm:

I would pass on that one desiderius. I've read it and was quite disappointed in it. Here's a book review I did for it and as you see, it's only worth a few words. I think you'll find what I'm talking about in the first 10 or 11 pages.

review: I opened this book with an open mind, even so skewed more positive than I naturally should think. By its conclusion I'd wadeed through a text that described a deluded ideology, expressed with poor writing and positioned with the weakest argument I'd ever encountered.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarian Book Recommendations
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy