Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol? (Read 634 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Because the constitution did not give the federal government the power to ban alcohol.  That seems laughable today, but in the pre-FDR United States, the federal government was really held to its enumerated powers.  So we needed an amendment to give the federal government that power.   Seems laughable today, doesn't it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah.  Not that funny, I guess.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 8:43am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 1st, 2018 at 10:37pm:
Because the constitution did not give the federal government the power to ban alcohol.  That seems laughable today, but in the pre-FDR United States, the federal government was really held to its enumerated powers.  So we needed an amendment to give the federal government that power.   Seems laughable today, doesn't it?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah.  Not that funny, I guess.

No, not really funny.

I wonder, in light of all the problems alcohol causes to families and society in general, if we could get people interested in agitating for a new Constitutional amendment to ban alcohol? Are there no longer enough good Christian ladies to recreate the Women's Christian Temperance Union and push for such an amendment?

Or, alternatively, The DEA could just issue a regulation classifying alcohol as a schedule I narcotic...

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
There is still a prohibition party in the US, they ran a candidate for president in my current state of Colorado.  Its apparently quite easy to get a candidate on the ballot here.  We had more than 20 presidential candidates to choose from.

That being said, I like the idea of having the feds declare alcohol a schedule one drug, maybe that would show folks how stupid and illegal the whole drug prohibition thing is.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:25am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 9:43am:
There is still a prohibition party in the US, they ran a candidate for president in my current state of Colorado.  Its apparently quite easy to get a candidate on the ballot here.  We had more than 20 presidential candidates to choose from.

That being said, I like the idea of having the feds declare alcohol a schedule one drug, maybe that would show folks how stupid and illegal the whole drug prohibition thing is.

Responsible government would advise less use and more responsible use of alcohol, then take measures to attempt to make it happen.

Refer to other countries for ways to do that.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:25am:
Responsible government would advise less use and more responsible use of alcohol, then take measures to attempt to make it happen.

Refer to other countries for ways to do that.

Russia for instance?

Don_G as usually your discourse is dishonest and lazy as your post says nothing but a vague suggestion that the US does things wrong.  It says nothing about how, why or even what the right way might be, just that it might exist.  It is absolutely just trolling.  Hell, its not even a response to the post you quoted. 

I should be used to your non sequiturs by now I suppose.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 11:52am:
Russia for instance?

Don_G as usually your discourse is dishonest and lazy as your post says nothing but a vague suggestion that the US does things wrong.  It says nothing about how, why or even what the right way might be, just that it might exist.  It is absolutely just trolling.  Hell, its not even a response to the post you quoted. 

I should be used to your non sequiturs by now I suppose.

I didn't refer to Russia or the US. My post was an attempt to get a discussion going on the topic.

You can accept the invitation, reject it, or continue the discussion some other way. I suspect it's just going to die out as a thread that nobody's interested in discussing.

But my post did attempt to introduce a discussion that libertarians should be interested in pursuing. Stop feeling bad.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:08pm:
I didn't refer to Russia or the US. My post was an attempt to get a discussion going on the topic.

OK, how would a "responsible government" stop people from misusing alcohol?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:21pm:
OK, how would a "responsible government" stop people from misusing alcohol?

You know some of the ways that have been attempted. Start a discussion on them and whether they work to any degree or not.

I'll start it but I won't invest much into it without your participation.

In Canada we don't allow alcohol advertising on t.v.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:24pm:
In Canada we don't allow alcohol advertising on t.v.
How "progressive" of you. Restrict rights in order to "solve" perceived social problems.

The biggest problem I can see as to alcohol and Canada is that Molson is selling beer bottles that aren't full of beer. I'm saving a 12oz. bottle for you in my fridge that only has about 3oz. of beer in it. A "socially responsible government" would never allow a big corporation to cheat people like that... Are the people in your bottling plants drunk?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 12:36pm:
How "progressive" of you. Restrict rights in order to "solve" perceived social problems.

The biggest problem I can see as to alcohol and Canada is that Molson is selling beer bottles that aren't full of beer. I'm saving a 12oz. bottle for you in my fridge that only has about 3oz. of beer in it. A "socially responsible government" would never allow a big corporation to cheat people like that... Are the people in your bottling plants drunk?

I saw one that had a cigarette butt in it! I think it might happen in all bottling plants. Spend your time looking up examples to amuse us. And always remember to keep your ass sweet. Stay away from pork on the hoof because it leaves a scent on you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy