Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol? (Read 712 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Reply #30 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:30pm:
Trouble! With a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for POOL!

You might not have learned it in school by you sure did learn it somewhere. Do you have a local chapter of the KKK in you neighbourhood?
No. Rumor has it they are influential in a town in the county, but it's not mine.

Where I grew up? No, there were never any KKK around there. Plenty of tribal bigots of one sort or another, but no KKK.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 6:47pm:
No. Rumor has it they are influential in a town in the county, but it's not mine.

Where I grew up? No, there were never any KKK around there. Plenty of tribal bigots of one sort or another, but no KKK.

The tribal bigots were the KKK members. Did you think they would play with you in their bedsheets and pointy hat uniforms? When you all got together and went out harrassing black people, did you not gather as much from their behaviour?

Didn't you think it odd that other teens shunned you and your friends?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 12:35pm:
The tribal bigots were the KKK members. Did you think they would play with you in their bedsheets and pointy hat uniforms? When you all got together and went out harrassing black people, did you not gather as much from their behaviour?

There were never any KKK around where I grew up. There were tribal bigots of other sorts, as there are pretty much everywhere on earth.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
There were never any KKK around where I grew up. There were tribal bigots of other sorts, as there are pretty much everywhere on earth.

I told you that they didn't revel themselves to you as KKK members. Would you like me to say something else? You probably don't care but if you do then why don't you change your ways when talking to me and see if it brings you any peace?

Or not, I'll still crave your sweet ass regardless. Just as long as you don't allow any other animal scent on you.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:20pm:
I told you that they didn't revel themselves to you as KKK members.
There were very few black people where I grew up, why would there have been "secret" KKK organizations dolt?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 4:16pm:
What I learned in High School history was that the Chinese brought opium into America and lots of Wives and Mothers and Fathers thought it was a bad thing to do, hang around opium dens. We also learned that the Mexicans brought pot with them, and the Wives etc. thought the same thing about hanging around pool halls and bars and getting high on pot and cheap wine.
It wasn't until I read history on my own that I learned that Negros brought cocaine and speed into our cities to complement the marijuana they adopted from the Mexicans. Then gangs fought over markets for the drugs they were bringing in. Tongs didn't have to be created in Chinese communities, they went with them everywhere.
Mexicans weren't as large scale organized as the tongs, but they did have plenty of criminal gangs already, and some of them came with the drugs.
The inner city black gangs were created by illegal drugs and that's what sustains them. That and the "welfare" they extort from the girls they get pregnant.

Did I learn "racist" history? I don't see how.

Anyway, my point was that drug prohibition was designed to demonize 'others' and keep them separate from the larger society, as well as being a nose under the tent for the idea that the government can and should "regulate" everything.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:01am
Print Post  

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 1:31pm:
Anyway, my point was that drug prohibition was designed to demonize 'others' and keep them separate from the larger society, as well as being a nose under the tent for the idea that the government can and should "regulate" everything.

Yes, and that idea is completely internalized by the overwhelming majority of Americans.  When I talk to supporters of gun rights, I have to remind them that the goal is not for government to "allow" us to have this type of rifle or that type of ammunition, but for the government to get out of the business of telling us which specific arms are "allowed" by the constitution. 

When someone with a terminal illness reads about a new drug that could save their lives but which has not made it though the bureaucratic maze that is the FDA approval process, there is no outraged news stories, just a stoic acceptance of the bad luck that the diagnosis didn't come ten years later when their doctor would be "allowed" to save them.

We accept being micromanaged in ridiculous detail and hope we don't accidentally commit a "crime" that costs us money, loss of freedom and a mark on our record.  "Let's see, I can buy enough tequila for my party as long as I don't buy it on Sunday and I don't let a passenger open a bottle in my car, unless my car is a limo or a taxi in which case they can open it if the car isn't moving, but not if they might give it to their friend who is only twenty years and eleven months old."

Police seem to take special pleasure in enforcing laws like that, but burglaries seem to hold little interest for them.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I wish the police around here would start ticketing more texting drivers for reckless driving.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:07am:
I wish the police around here would start ticketing more texting drivers for reckless driving.

Too much work to catch someone texting and driving and then go to court to testify.  Much easier to set speed limits artificially low and then use radar guns to document when people exceed them.  Red light cams are the best form of that kind of "crime fighting."  The key revenue enhancer for those is to set the amber light for about half the time of non-camera lights and you can catch lots of people in the intersection on red.  In Texas, you don't even get to go to court to fight a red light camera ticket.  it comes in the mail and you can pay it or lose your license. 

Meanwhile, if I ever had a police emergency, I wouldn't bother with 911.  I have a Starbucks about a mile from my house on speed dial.  I drive past it at least twice a day and there are almost always police, sheriff and/or constable cars gathered there. 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why did We Need an Amendment to Ban Alcohol?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy