Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Gambling is Legal in the Houston Area!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gambling is Legal in the Houston Area! (Read 319 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Gambling is Legal in the Houston Area!
Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
Yes, I remember.

Then what's all this "your country" stuff about? 

Quote:
Corrected for you, because there is too much vicious and violent crime on the police's plate for them to deal with crime that is dealt with properly in the world's happiest countries. (adopting Norway's prison system is the exact right answer)

Yes, holding violent criminals in prison indefinitely unless they are affirmed to have rehabilitated is a great method of reducing recidivism. 

Quote:
Laws that forbid gambling in certain places and situations are good laws. Jeff understands that too!

They provide no benefit whatsoever.

Quote:
So besides being very angry which causes you to bitch and complain all the time about your government, now you are suggesting that you're homophobic too!

I'm asking of gambling is worse than the AIDS epidemic.  If you say it is, then it is you who are homophobic, not I.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 9:43pm:
Yes, holding violent criminals in prison indefinitely unless they are affirmed to have rehabilitated is a great method of reducing recidivism. 

That's likely true but it's only a part of the answer. And it's the part that your country must not be aware of because of your 80% recidivism.

Or if not then it's due to your prison system's policy of punishment as opposed to rehabilitation.

We should discuss it further so we can determine what has gone wrong in the US!

Do you want to know why Norway's recidivism rate is down around 20%. If you knew then could you even tolerate their practices? Or is it necessary for you to feel some gratification over knowing that your prisoners are being punished?

Should there be more death penalties and more methods that were used in the dark ages? Death for shoplifting Americans would arguably reduce your recidivism rate! 

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:02pm:
That's likely true but it's only a part of the answer. And it's the part that your country must not be aware of because of your 80% recidivism.

Or if not then it's due to your prison system's policy of punishment as opposed to rehabilitation.

We should discuss it further so we can determine what has gone wrong in the US!

Do you want to know why Norway's recidivism rate is down around 20%. If you knew then could you even tolerate their practices? Or is it necessary for you to feel some gratification over knowing that your prisoners are being punished?

Should there be more death penalties and more methods that were used in the dark ages? Death for shoplifting Americans would arguably reduce your recidivism rate! 

I don't know how many times I have to repeat that I love the Norwegian system.  As long as violent criminals are held until they are no longer violent, I don't care if they are made comfy while they wait.  In fact harsh prison conditions might make judges go soft when judging a person's level of rehabilitation and risk to the innocent of releasing him.

So sure.  Let them sleep on Serta Perfect Sleepers and take classes in French kwee-zine if that makes New Jersey libs feel better.  While he's having sweet dreams in the hoosegow, he's not robbing my house and assaulting my family.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:28pm:
I don't know how many times I have to repeat that I love the Norwegian system.  As long as violent criminals are held until they are no longer violent, I don't care if they are made comfy while they wait.  In fact harsh prison conditions might make judges go soft when judging a person's level of rehabilitation and risk to the innocent of releasing him.

So sure.  Let them sleep on Serta Perfect Sleepers and take classes in French kwee-zine if that makes New Jersey libs feel better.  While he's having sweet dreams in the hoosegow, he's not robbing my house and assaulting my family.

Good then it's settled. And you must be now advocating for the same in the your country US?

If you would like to continue the conversation on how the US could fix it's problems by turning to the Norway system then let's begin.

Soon!

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:33pm:
Good then it's settled. And you must be now advocating for the same in the your country US?

If you would like to continue the conversation on how the US could fix it's problems by turning to the Norway system then let's begin.

Soon!

Sure, Don.  Anytime . . .

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:48pm:
Sure, Don.  Anytime . . .

So I'll start by saying that's it's largely a problem of outdated bad attitudes in the US. I think there's a psychological need in the minds of the people that they need revenge against criminals.

I'm not completely divorced from that myself, even though I would say that I'm much more 'progressive' thinking than most Americans. Most obviously not being you because you are a 100% believer in the Norwegian system and that ensures that you aren't seeking punitive revenge. And too, you've told me many times that you support their system.

I think this Norwegian concept we both support so wholeheartedly could be pushed by you on your fellow libertarians. I know Jeff has some big reservations by I think he can be convinced.

Would you help me to change some minds on their ignorance of supporting your country's the US's ugly failing system? Hmmmm?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 4th, 2018 at 3:57pm:
I won't admit I was wrong because I was only really asking for evidence that gambling increases crime.  You have provided that evidence, thank you.

I often get sidetracked. Gambling increasing crime was never my point.

Laws that forbid gambling are immoral because they impose force. Benefit or detriment is irrelevant.

You were never wrong; neither was I. We were both agreeing on what the laws should be and (I hope) why.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:38pm:
I often get sidetracked. Gambling increasing crime was never my point.

Gambling does increase crime, but only where gambling is illegal. It's the same old story as with recreational drugs. The crime arises because of the extraordinary profits available because it's illegal.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:55pm:
So I'll start by saying that's it's largely a problem of outdated bad attitudes in the US. I think there's a psychological need in the minds of the people that they need revenge against criminals.

I'm not completely divorced from that myself, even though I would say that I'm much more 'progressive' thinking than most Americans. Most obviously not being you because you are a 100% believer in the Norwegian system and that ensures that you aren't seeking punitive revenge. And too, you've told me many times that you support their system.

I think this Norwegian concept we both support so wholeheartedly could be pushed by you on your fellow libertarians. I know Jeff has some big reservations by I think he can be convinced.

Would you help me to change some minds on their ignorance of supporting your country's the US's ugly failing system? Hmmmm?

Ok, well sure I will.  I'm a little disappointed, though, Don  I thought the conversation was going to turn to other specific examples of where other countries do things better than we (meaning you, I and all other citizens of the U.S of A) do.  I thought we would be discussing ways we can improve our country using those examples as guides.

As far as the psychological change away from a punitive approach to criminal justice, the best way to accomplish that is by reducing the tax burden on all Americans, especially corporations.  Once we have gotten away from the mindset that we should be punishing success, it will be much easier to understand that we shouldn't be punishing moral failing either, but rather working to correct them.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:51pm:
Ok, well sure I will.  I'm a little disappointed, though, Don  I thought the conversation was going to turn to other specific examples of where other countries do things better than we (meaning you, I and all other citizens of the U.S of A) do.  I thought we would be discussing ways we can improve our country using those examples as guides.

Here's how Norway does it- the State has a monopoly on gambling and all profits from gambling flow to the state.

https://www.gamblingsites.com/online-gambling-jurisdictions/norway/

Sort of like our State Lotteries, only they allow other sorts of gambling too... As long as the profits go to the State.

And you'll notice that gambling that doesn't profit the State is illegal and punishable by fines and prison.

Maybe Canada has a better idea... Probably not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Gambling is Legal in the Houston Area!
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy