Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet? (Read 1528 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet?
Reply #20 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I socially responsible capitalism the same as communism in your mind? Maybe I haven't explained it well enough? Is socially responsible capitalism in the Scandinavian countries resulting in famine or poverty on the same scale as in the US? Is the US now the equivalent to a fascist state?

Do you see a dictatorship as being socially responsible capitalism. Perhaps I've not explained it to you in simple enough words for you to understand. Ask questions whenever you are confused. Let's talk more about countries in which the people are the happiest. We can even talk about the country in which the people bitch and complain more than other modern first world countries! 

All famines would include other factors other than government failure.

Google 'rice famine' or 'wheat famine' and let me know what you have learned. If you can be polite we might be able to have a thorough discussion on the issues.

But before you do, keep in mind that I"m interested in socially responsible countries as compared to your country the US.

You've never one single time explained what social responsible capitalism is.  You may do so now or continue to dodge all questions about it.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:23pm:
You've never one single time explained what social responsible capitalism is.  You may do so now or continue to dodge all questions about it.

Can we start with a concept on which we both agree that socially responsible capitalism works? If we can accomplish anything on that then it can definitely lead to an understanding on all the other issues.

I'm suggesting the Norwegian prison system of course. Can you give me more of your thoughts on why it works so well as opposed to the US system that is emptying your wallet?

Does the mention of your 'wallet' provide enough incentive to do that?

Thank you for showing an interest. Shall we begin?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Can we start with a concept on which we both agree that socially responsible capitalism works? If we can accomplish anything on that then it can definitely lead to an understanding on all the other issues.

I'm suggesting the Norwegian prison system of course. Can you give me more of your thoughts on why it works so well as opposed to the US system that is emptying your wallet?

I know this was for Burnsy but I think Norway's population is different. I don't think a Norway-style prison system would work in the US because our population is more violent and exploitative than Norway's. They would abuse the system that effectively rewards them for being criminals where Norwegians don't.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Can we start with a concept on which we both agree that socially responsible capitalism works?
Then you are obviously using my definition, where responsible individuals create responsible societies that work pretty well to protect Rights and property and Liberty.

That is both known to work and responsible.

In fact, it's a great idea!

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:

I'm not sure what a penal system has to do with capitalism.  A penal system can be socially responsible, especially if it keeps violent criminals locked up indefinitely or until they are verified to be rehabilitated.  As they so wisely do in Norway.

But a penal system doesn't create and accumulate means of production as a way of seeking profits, which is what capitalism is.  Although . . . putting a prison on a paying basis would be a good way to not only teach the prisoners the all-important skill of wealth creation, but give them a way to pass the time besides raping new inmates. 

Is that what you mean we should do?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:20am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
I know this was for Burnsy but I think Norway's population is different. I don't think a Norway-style prison system would work in the US because our population is more violent and exploitative than Norway's.

Norway imprisons violent criminals and won't let them go until a Judge has certified that they are rehabilitated...

Did you know there are 4.5 million Americans of Norwegian descent? Are you saying living in America has made them violent and exploitative to the point where they couldn't be rehabilitated?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:59pm:
I'm not sure what a penal system has to do with capitalism.  A penal system can be socially responsible, especially if it keeps violent criminals locked up indefinitely or until they are verified to be rehabilitated.  As they so wisely do in Norway.

But a penal system doesn't create and accumulate means of production as a way of seeking profits, which is what capitalism is.  Although . . . putting a prison on a paying basis would be a good way to not only teach the prisoners the all-important skill of wealth creation, but give them a way to pass the time besides raping new inmates. 

Is that what you mean we should do?

The state where I grew up used to have penitentiaries that were self supporting. The prisoners worked to support themselves and the prisons.
I'm pretty sure "progressives" stopped that sort of thing by calling it unconstitutional.
Maybe it was one of those "Baptist and bootlegger" combinations, where private businesses worked hand in hand with "progressives" because the prisons could sell products at a lower price and were undercutting private market prices...

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:25am:
The state where I grew up used to have penitentiaries that were self supporting. The prisoners worked to support themselves and the prisons.
I'm pretty sure "progressives" stopped that sort of thing by calling it unconstitutional.
Maybe it was one of those "Baptist and bootlegger" combinations, where private businesses worked hand in hand with "progressives" because the prisons could sell products at a lower price and were undercutting private market prices...

A great use for prison labor is road building and maintenance.  Right now, that work is done primarily by illegal aliens working for whatever contractor managed to bribe his way to having his bid accepted.  Let prisoners do that work and pay for it through tolls on the newest construction.  Pay the prisoners for the work, promote the hardest working to higher paying supervisory roles.  Hell, send some of them to engineering schools and they can be the future project managers.  Nothing rehabilitates a man more than a fair chance to build wealth through hard work.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:20am:
Norway imprisons violent criminals and won't let them go until a Judge has certified that they are rehabilitated...

Did you know there are 4.5 million Americans of Norwegian descent? Are you saying living in America has made them violent and exploitative to the point where they couldn't be rehabilitated?

That's it exactlyl! America makes criminals and breeds new ones. It's the prison system obviously.

As you've agreed above, that's lack of social responsibility. But note too that burnsred is gradually coming around to agree with us, even though he has that streak of needing revenge in him still.

Burnsred may never honestly support change to something like Norway's system so we'll always be able to detect his sarcasm on the issue. He's more like the lizard in thinking that Americans  are different and socially repsonsible prisons can never work.

A pretty sad piece of extremist work!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
That's it exactlyl! America makes criminals and breeds new ones. It's the prison system obviously.

Dolt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy