Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet? (Read 1127 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet?
Reply #60 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:56pm:
Actually one crop failure does make a famine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943

That's a good example to bring the truth home.

You want me to believe that without the failure of the ric crop there would still be a famine. I'm trying but I keep running up against the other side of the story?

Maybe Jeff has an idea where he can show that the rice didn't matter and it was only communism or some other boogeyman the people couldn't eat because communism stole the rice in the middle of the night, along with the guns?

I see you've discovered wikipedia.  That's a big step forward in your researching skills.  Next step is for you to actually read what you link to so you aren't embarrassed by lines such as:

The government prioritised military and defense needs, allocating medical care and food disproporionately to the military and civil servants. These factors were compounded by restricted access to grain: domestic sources were constrained by emergency inter-provincial trade barriers, while access to international sources was largely denied by the War Cabinet of Great Britain.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #61 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:55pm:
I'm not sure that's what Jeff said but I'll take your word for it because I really don't care.

And I'll name the famine too. Ireland's potato famine that was started by the blight in potatos.
As has been shown, the famine was not started by nor caused by potato blight as potato blight was international but the famine only occurred in one nation.   You have yet to address why that might be.  We all admit that crop failures are not necessarily caused by governments but we all realize that crop failures do not generally lead to famine and never lead to famine in the absence of bad government.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #62 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:15am:
As has been shown, the famine was not started by nor caused by potato blight as potato blight was international but the famine only occurred in one nation.   You have yet to address why that might be.  We all admit that crop failures are not necessarily caused by governments but we all realize that crop failures do not generally lead to famine and never lead to famine in the absence of bad government.

I think the only way we are going to be able to come to any agreement on this topic is if we eliminate all references to crops such as are applicable in various examples. For instance, potatos, rice, wheat, other grains, or any foods that sustain large populations.

If we can do that then there may be no room left for any disagreement.

But I do have to ask, what is your motive for pursuing this for so long and so adamantly? Is it to show that government is always to blame for more than just famines?

Do you consider any government to be good government or would that be an impossibility?

Anyway, lets consider a famine where there hasn't been any sort of crop failure or food shortage. We can use the word 'famine' in a broader sense to include stealing of food from the people as an example. There should be lots of other causes for famines that don't include food! Can you think of some?

Fwiw, the only reason we need to exclude talking about any specific food is because that's my sticking point. I'll let it go if food doesn't play any part in the discussion!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #63 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:38pm:
I think the only way we are going to be able to come to any agreement on this topic is if we eliminate all references to crops such as are applicable in various examples.
Sure, lets talk about famine without reference to food... Dolt.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #64 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:43pm:
Sure, lets talk about famine without reference to food... Dolt.

Well it's not about a food shortage is it sweet ass! We have to talk about a famine that isn't a food famine. You Nazis are starting to lose it with your hypocrisy!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #65 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:14am:
I see you've discovered wikipedia.  That's a big step forward in your researching skills.  Next step is for you to actually read what you link to so you aren't embarrassed by lines such as:

The government prioritised military and defense needs, allocating medical care and food disproporionately to the military and civil servants. These factors were compounded by restricted access to grain: domestic sources were constrained by emergency inter-provincial trade barriers, while access to international sources was largely denied by the War Cabinet of Great Britain.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the referenced famine. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943)

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #66 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:45pm:
Well it's not about a food shortage is it sweet ass! We have to talk about a famine that isn't a food famine.
You want to talk about Venezuela again, where the government has caused a current "famine" for everything? Even a toilet paper famine... Even a gasoline "famine"...

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #67 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
You want to talk about Venezuela again, where the government has caused a current "famine" for everything? Even a toilet paper famine... Even a gasoline "famine"...

I always want to talk about Venezuela or any of the other countries the US meddles in to force them to choose a US sympathetic government.

Especially Cuba which succeeded in resisting. Cuba is an example that can be applied as an example of a country that won out over US meddling. Likely mostly because Cuba had a strong nuclear capable ally to protect it's people.

This is the trend of the future in my opinion. Iraq will likely be the last country that will completely fall to US aggression. Even though the evil apartheid state is currently attacking Syrian forces on behalf of the US.

A good thorough discussion with you is always amenable to me. It's just that inevitably you run from that kind of discussion so I don't try anymore.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #68 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Don_g food shortages and crop failures are not famines.  In modern times, famines only occur if the food shortage is accompanied by bad governance, policies that turn a crop failure into a famine. 

Would you say that the Ethopian Famine in 83 was caused by a food shortage?  Hint, it wasn't, it was caused by a war.

If I rear end someone stopped at a light and I didn't give enough room and it was raining, would you say the rain was at fault?

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #69 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 1:27pm:
I always want to talk about Venezuela or any of the other countries...

Especially Cuba...
Cuba has had those non-food famines you talked about continuously since the Communists took over, despite being free to sell their cigars to anyone in the world except Americans.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is There Hunger on Such a Fertile Planet?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy