Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote) (Read 740 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 1:34am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
Don't worry; it doesn't make sense to me either. It's logically reducible to voting for Chairman Mao if he's running against Hitler. Nevermind the fact that one of the premises in their argument (that the Third Part guy "can't win") is only true because everyone believes the stupid argument to begin with.

Well guess what? Their argument is applicable to more than not voting Third Party.
Wink

I would never have voted for Gary.  Or Jill.  Both of them adorable in their respective, quirky ways - but neither were qualified to be Commander-In-Chief (imo).  So i was compelled to write-in a name that wasn't even on the ballot.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
The Third Party guy is being helped toward his necessary percentage to get his party into the debates.

Not just into the debates, but on the ballot.

Ballot access "laws" set requirements that force libertarians to spend most of their time and money every election cycle trying to get their candidates on the ballot.

If enough people vote for libertarians, they can achieve the "permanent ballot status" that any and all TwoParty candidates already have, which means they wil be able to spend their time and money actually campaigning for their candidates and getting out the message.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:49pm:
Jill Stein?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yeah that's the point. The argument about "wasting" a vote can be used to prove you should vote for Jill Stein whether you want to or not.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 3:34pm:
Yeah that's the point. The argument about "wasting" a vote can be used to prove you should vote for Jill Stein whether you want to or not.
Dolt. Don't vote for anyone you don't want to represent you. Why would you?

Are you a complete idiot?

If there are to be more libertarians on ballots, it will most likely be because enough people start voting for libertarians.

If you would like to have that happen, vote for every libertarian that is on the ballot, even if they don't seem "pure".

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:13pm:
Dolt. Don't vote for anyone you don't want to represent you. Why would you?

I wouldn't. That's my point.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:23pm:
I wouldn't. That's my point.
Thanks. Could you try always to be that clear and consistent? You know I am old and my mind is not as agile as it used to be... I really do appreciate you trying to be clear.

You aren't good at it... But perhaps if you keep trying to learn... Perhaps. It depends on you.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:49pm:
Thanks. Could you try always to be that clear and consistent? You know I am old and my mind is not as agile as it used to be... I really do appreciate you trying to be clear.

You aren't good at it... But perhaps if you keep trying to learn... Perhaps. It depends on you.

My point is that the "wasted vote" argument is dumb.

I proved it was dumb by using it to prove that everyone should just vote for Jill Stein whether they want to or not. It will do this candidate more good, you see. Your vote for or against a main party candidate doesn't get them elected, especially if you don't live in a swing state. So because you can't make a difference for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, you should vote for Jill Stein because you can make a bigger difference for her.

I'm not actually arguing for this. I'm just using the "wasted vote" argument to prove this, so you can see the "wasted vote" argument is flawed.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:47pm:
My point is that the "wasted vote" argument is dumb.

I proved it was dumb by using it to prove that everyone should just vote for Jill Stein whether they want to or not. It will do this candidate more good, you see. Your vote for or against a main party candidate doesn't get them elected, especially if you don't live in a swing state. So because you can't make a difference for Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, you should vote for Jill Stein because you can make a bigger difference for her.

I'm not actually arguing for this. I'm just using the "wasted vote" argument to prove this, so you can see the "wasted vote" argument is flawed.
fooch

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:27pm:
Nothing is a bigger waste of a vote than for a libertarian to give it to a politician from one of the pretended two parties expecting that one is more interested in freedom than the other.

Gary Johnson wasn't much better, but at least a vote for him wasn't flushed down the crapper.

Can the LP ever find a better candidate than Johnson? What normal person could ever align him/herself with people who subscribe to dis qualifying voters with a lower IQ than 90?

You would need to look for a leader for the party who is a fascist and a dictator.

Have you been serious with that kind of talk? SkyChief is definitely with you if so, but I doubt Jeff is serious?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Your last election offered your people what is possibly the very worst two candidates for president your country will ever see.

But Jill Stein or Gary Johnson still weren't looked upon as good choices.

It's never going to get better than that without some new concept being thought up and put to the people.

So now we know it's not going to be libertarianism of the sort you people are imagining. I think there's a very good chance that the answer will come in the kind of libertarianism I'm imagining. Nobody needs to be told again what that means!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy