Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote) (Read 854 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Your last election offered your people what is possibly the very worst two candidates for president your country will ever see.

Smiley

Quote:
But Jill Stein or Gary Johnson still weren't looked upon as good choices.

True.  Because they weren't

Quote:
It's never going to get better than that without some new concept being thought up and put to the people.

So far, so good....  Smiley

Quote:
So now we know it's not going to be libertarianism of the sort you people are imagining. I think there's a very good chance that the answer will come in the kind of libertarianism I'm imagining. Nobody needs to be told again what that means!

The kind of "libertarianism" you're imagining isn't libertarianism at all.  Your libertarianism requires a powerful authoritarian government and Income Taxes which dashes any hopes of self-ownership.

Self-ownership, free market, and smaller government are the bedrock principles of libertarianism. Always have been - always will be.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Smiley

True.  Because they weren't

So far, so good....  Smiley

The kind of "libertarianism" you're imagining isn't libertarianism at all.  Your libertarianism requires a powerful authoritarian government and Income Taxes which dashes any hopes of self-ownership.

Self-ownership, free market, and smaller government are the bedrock principles of libertarianism. Always have been - always will be.

After your 3 questions that would qualify voters, I'll never take you seriously on anything ever again. You really blew it and you need to sit back and digest it for how ignorant it was.

And also Chief, If anyone ever thought that you were the one who had the best handle on the libertarian ideology, that's been shattered to pieces now.

I have no problem saying with conviction that you are a sick little man.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
After your 3 questions that would qualify voters, I'll never take you seriously on anything ever again. You really blew it and you need to sit back and digest it for how ignorant it was.

And also Chief, If anyone ever thought that you were the one who had the best handle on the libertarian ideology, that's been shattered to pieces now.

I have no problem saying with conviction that you are a sick little man.

What's wrong, Don? 

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:10pm:
What's wrong, Don? 

He's frustrated because I take the wind out of his sails each time he tries to re-define libertarianism. Which he has attempted many times on this forum.

And he's frustrated because my proposal for a Voter Proficiency Quiz is a good one - a libertarian one.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 4:48pm:
my proposal for a Voter Proficiency Quiz is a good one

Correct.

- a libertarian one. 

Incorrect.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:29am
Print Post  
And he's frustrated because my proposal for a Voter Proficiency Quiz is a good one - a libertarian one. 
It might be a good idea if libertarians create and administer the test, but it will be very bad if authoritarian collectivists create and administer the test.

If the first question on the test is-

1)Is there a right to health care?...

And the 'correct' answer is "Yes"...

You aren't going to get the kind of voters you want.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:29am:
It might be a good idea if libertarians create and administer the test, but it will be very bad if authoritarian collectivists create and administer the test.

If the first question on the test is-

1)Is there a right to health care?...

You aren't going to get the kind of voters you want.

A simple point but one worth mentioning.

We need to keep in mind that the reason for the test being proposed was to disqualify people based on their IQ being below 90. There are just too many problems with that concept to argue but I certainly won't run from the conversation if anyone is interested in examining it in detail.

To introduce it, have a look at an IQ bell curve and find where 90 lies on that curve. I doubt anybody has done that and so would have no idea on how many people would be disqualified on the basis of the Chief's dogmatic and ignorant approach.

So let him argue that something like 35% of the people be disqualified. It certainly adds to the discrediting of what he considers libertarianism.

I don't even know yet where burnsred sits on this issue. He's done nothing more than make a suggestion that he may agree?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 8:29am:
...Is there a right to health care?...

Please show me how this is a right.  Everyone has a "right" to wear argyle socks.  Is it really worth the effort to enumerate it?

Quote:

We need to keep in mind that the reason for the test being proposed was to disqualify people based on their IQ being below 90. There are just too many problems with that concept to argue but I certainly won't run from the conversation if anyone is interested in examining it in detail.

Two questions:

wtf are you smoking?   Where can I get some?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 7:34am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:17am:
Please show me how this is a right.  Everyone has a "right" to wear argyle socks.  Is it really worth the effort to enumerate it?
The people who create the test you advocate for will design the test to get the results they prefer.

You imagine it will be designed so that only libertarians will be allowed to vote... WTF are you smoking?

It is most likely to be designed to allow only collectivists to vote, so the 'correct' test answer will be "Yes, you have a right to have argyle socks provided to you at 'government' expense."

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:01am
Print Post  
Quote:

To introduce it, have a look at an IQ bell curve and find where 90 lies on that curve. I doubt anybody has done that and so would have no idea on how many people would be disqualified on the basis of the Chief's dogmatic and ignorant approach.

So let him argue that something like 35% of the people be disqualified. It certainly adds to the discrediting of what he considers libertarianism.

I don't even know yet where burnsred sits on this issue. He's done nothing more than make a suggestion that he may agree?

Thank you for asking, Don!

I agree with a test as possible part of the qualifications for voting.  Weeding out the bottom 35% of the voters would be a good first step, to be followed of course by weeding out those who thrive on dependency (there would be a lot of overlap, of course).

Honestly, if we did those two things, I would have no trouble letting ex-felons and recent immigrants vote.  Because they would only be the ex-felons and immigrants who have the intellectual ability to make a good choice and who will not be choosing the candidates who promise the most free stuff. 

I would want to use the standard IQ tests that have been valid and reliable for decades and weren't designed with any political aim in mind.  Giving a civics test sounds like a good idea.  But as other here have mentioned, it would be too easy to slant the questions and required answers to one political ideology or another.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy