Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote) (Read 677 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Jan 5th, 2018 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Most voters who hold libertarian views don’t vote for the Libertarian Party.  They usually vote for either Dem or Republican candidates.   Shocked

Why is this?   Simple - they don't want to "waste" their vote.  Which doesn't make a lick of sense (to me).

Even Libertarian icon Ron Paul admitted that he could not vote for the Libertarian Party’s presidential candidate Gary Johnson in 2016!  WTF?

If we libertarians would vote for our Party's candidate, we would become stronger as an electorate voting bloc. We could become an alternative to the dilapidated UniParty which has had a stranglehold on DC politics for over a hundred years, now. 

Libertarians know that the government needs to be reined in.  Our votes should reflect that.

http://time.com/4517360/ron-paul-gary-johnson-jill-stein-libertarian/

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 1:53pm:
I never claimed to be a libertarian. My only claim was/is that I am a [paid] supporter of the Libertarian Party. 

Dooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 2:55pm:
Why is this?   Simple - they don't want to "waste" their vote.  Which doesn't make a lick of sense (to me).

Don't worry; it doesn't make sense to me either. It's logically reducible to voting for Chairman Mao if he's running against Hitler. Nevermind the fact that one of the premises in their argument (that the Third Part guy "can't win") is only true because everyone believes the stupid argument to begin with.

Well guess what? Their argument is applicable to more than not voting Third Party. It's not like we do it by the popular vote.

If you don't live in a swing state your vote doesn't count anyway, so at very least, the people who lean third-party and don't live in swing states should logically vote for their own candidate.

This is only using their own (admittedly faulty) argument that your vote "counting" to the max is worth more than casting your vote for the candidate you deem best. The Third Party guy is being helped toward his necessary percentage to get his party into the debates.

And logically speaking, we should all just vote for Jill Stein then, even if we don't agree with her, because the vote does more for her than it does for a Dem or GOP. And see, the vote "counting" more is just worth more than voting for the one you like.

Wink

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I've long advocated for voting for the third party that has the best chance in your location, especially in solid red/blue states and districts.

I spent a decade in the San Francisco Bay Area and almost always voted for the Green party.  They'd occasionally beat the republicans their and its not like the Dem wasn't going to win.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Jill Stein?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:17pm:
I spent a decade in the San Francisco Bay Area and almost always voted for the Green party. 
You thought it was a good idea to encourage them? Cheesy

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 4:04pm:
The Third Party guy is being helped toward his necessary percentage to get his party into the debates.
Here you identify one of the most serious ways our electoral process has been corrupted.

The TwoParties have been given control of the debates and they, in collusion with each other, make the "rules" regarding who will be in their staged "debates".
OK, not as serious as the gerrymandering that the TwoParties have done to divvy up the country into "safe" electoral districts for themselves, but right up in there.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:18pm:
Here you identify one of the most serious ways our electoral process has been corrupted.

The TwoParties have been given control of the debates and they, in collusion with each other, make the "rules" regarding who will be in their staged "debates".
OK, not as serious as the gerrymandering that the TwoParties have done to divvy up the country into "safe" electoral districts for themselves, but right up in there.

Will you pay me to pay attention to you when there's nobody else around to answer your serial posts?
Or maybe even make a trade for your sweet stuff?

Would you like to know what  my rate is? Just ask sweet cheeks!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 7:18pm:

Right.  This has been been their legacy for too long.  Ron Paul understood this very well in  2008. That's why he was compelled to run on the Republican ticket instead of running against Bob Barr (LP).

This is how the UniParty managed to keep the LP marginalized.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 11:27pm
Print Post  
Nothing is a bigger waste of a vote than for a libertarian to give it to a politician from one of the pretended two parties expecting that one is more interested in freedom than the other.

Gary Johnson wasn't much better, but at least a vote for him wasn't flushed down the crapper.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Most Libertarians Vote For UniParty Candidates (A Wasted Vote)
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy