Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Global Warming
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Global Warming (Read 1628 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Global Warming
Reply #20 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 6:32pm:
OK, you posit that non-standard pollution will kill us all. Fine.

Before I can answer, you have to be more specific about what sort of pollution you are convinced will kill us all.

Thanks.
What about it lizard, will you tell me about this non-standard pollution that's going to kill us all?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 2:09pm:
What about it lizard, will you tell me about this non-standard pollution that's going to kill us all?

What's standard?

Science has told us that air pollution will kill us due to it's effect on the earth's climate. I'm a firm believer in that being the eventual consequence of ignoring science.

On a lighter note, it's being suggested that it may be too late now.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 9th, 2018 at 6:32pm:
OK, you posit that non-standard pollution will kill us all. Fine.

Before I can answer, you have to be more specific about what sort of pollution you are convinced will kill us all.

Thanks.

If libertarians can't answer the hypothetical, there's cause to believe that this is where the denial comes from, rather than from the evidence.

I was looking for a libertarian solution to global warming if catastrophic manmade global warming did exist. I'm not talking about one man releasing smog that chokes another. I'm talking about (again, hypothetically, because I admit the evidence for catastrophic manmade global warming is shaky) releasing initially harmless CO2 that reaches a tipping point.

All I got was: Evade, evade, evade.

I shouldn't have to explain how global warming is hypothetically different from factory smog. But now I have, and I'll just get more evasion of the issue.

Probably because libertarians don't have a solution. Hypothetically, once the tipping point is reached and the damage caused, the people who caused most of it may be dead, and the remaining polluters won't have the funds to cover being sued. Tort system is a non-solution in this case.

Again, this leads me to believe the libertarian unanimous denial of global warming would exist regardless of the facts.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I believe manmade global warming is a thing, its mostly caused by CO2 emmissions.  I believe this because its plausible, it is the consensus of experts that study climate, and evidence has been presented that seems compelling to me.

It saddens me that Oppo and Don are correct on this.  Other libertarians refuse to admit this because there really doesn't seem to be a free market solution and it crashes against their ideology as a result.

There's really no point in talking about AGW on this forum as a result.  As oppo notes, you can't even get the hypothetical answered.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:53pm:
I believe manmade global warming is a thing, its mostly caused by CO2 emmissions.  I believe this because its plausible, it is the consensus of experts that study climate...
If there was large agreement and good evidence, it would be more than "plausible" it would be accepted theory, but there is neither enough good evidence, enough scientists who agree nor good explanations for what happened in the past.

And the climate models are voodoo magic shows.

Has anyone seen a meme of Algore casting spells over an animal skin globe of the earth?

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 3:06pm:
If libertarians can't answer the hypothetical, there's cause to believe that this is where the denial comes from, rather than from the evidence.

I was looking for a libertarian solution to global warming if catastrophic manmade global warming did exist. I'm not talking about one man releasing smog that chokes another. I'm talking about (again, hypothetically, because I admit the evidence for catastrophic manmade global warming is shaky) releasing initially harmless CO2 that reaches a tipping point.

All I got was: Evade, evade, evade.

I shouldn't have to explain how global warming is hypothetically different from factory smog. But now I have, and I'll just get more evasion of the issue.

Probably because libertarians don't have a solution. Hypothetically, once the tipping point is reached and the damage caused, the people who caused most of it may be dead, and the remaining polluters won't have the funds to cover being sued. Tort system is a non-solution in this case.

Again, this leads me to believe the libertarian unanimous denial of global warming would exist regardless of the facts.

I haven't been commenting or paying close attention to your and Jeff's argument.  But since you've generalized it, I'll take a swing at your hypothetical which is:
Quote:
On a more serious note, why not assume global warming as the moonbats see it is real and catastrophic, just for a thought experiment? Assume it really will kill us all. What's the libertarian solution?

If you mean that it really will kill us all no matter what we do because it is too far gone, then the libertarian solution would be to allow the free market to provide us what we need as during the last days of the sustainability of life on Earth.  At some point when people, animals and crops begin dying off, the system will experience multiple failures due to shortages and a lack of motivation to plan for the future.  But the free market would be the least bad of options in a horrible situation.  I'd hate to think that distribution of dwindling resources would be left to the men with guns. 

If you mean that it really will kill us all unless we take action, then the free market again is the solution.  Just as McDonald's rakes in, and matches, huge amounts of voluntary contributions to its charitable foundation through coin drop boxes, so could the battle against global warming be funded by voluntary contributions.

Again, leaving it to armed robbers to act in our best interest isn't a smart solution.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
If libertarians can't answer the hypothetical...
Piss off jerk.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:26pm:
If you mean that it really will kill us all no matter what we do because it is too far gone, then the libertarian solution would be to allow the free market to provide us what we need as during the last days of the sustainability of life on Earth.  At some point when people, animals and crops begin dying off...
That is not a foregone conclusion. I won't allow you to argue from it as a fact.

If humans have a chance to survive anywhere any time, it is because they are free to innovate and trade and adapt (and trade has always dragged along ideas and been/become a trade of ideas).

Freedom and property rights and the prosperity they bring are our best hope for prolonging human life on earth.

Lots of starving peasants have never been helpful.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
I'm not talking about one man releasing smog that chokes another.
That's exactly what I am talking about. You are liable under the common law when something drifting over from your property chokes me. Betcha damn life you would be under the common law.

Of course you are liable and bound by law to stop. Grandma has already died, and Grandpa's getting sicker...

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
Burnsred wrote:

Quote:
If you mean that it really will kill us all no matter what we do because it is too far gone, then the libertarian solution would be to allow the free market to provide us what we need as during the last days of the sustainability of life on Earth.  At some point when people, animals and crops begin dying off...

Billie wrote on Jan 10th, 2018 at 4:56pm:
That is not a foregone conclusion. I won't allow you to argue from it as a fact.
It isn't intended to be fact.  It is an answer to a hypothetical question.

If you don't believe that hypothetical questions further a discussion, that is a fair stance.  We don't live life on a desert island or a lifeboat in which we have to follow the captains orders for our own safety.  Nor is our planet actually in danger from "global warming" or whatever the fraud is called now.

Opposition also has a point.  If one has thought one's positions out with due diligence, one should be able to answer questions about it.  The Don_G types on the board fail to impress for that very reason.  So I answered Oppo's hypothetical.  Sue me. 

Quote:
If humans have a chance to survive anywhere any time, it is because they are free to innovate and trade and adapt (and trade has always dragged along ideas and been/become a trade of ideas).

Freedom and property rights and the prosperity they bring are our best hope for prolonging human life on earth.

Then support property rights and stop advocating that our property be taken at gunpoint for use by the government.

Quote:
Lots of starving peasants have never been helpful.

Correct, they never help me at all.  No idea what that means in this context, though.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Global Warming
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy