Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan (Read 699 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
So we should stop helping them, then?  Seriously, if we are holding them back, out help does more harm than good, correct?

No, every time their neighbors attacked them, Israel decisively defeated them. We made them give back territory they won in defensive wars, territory that would make it  much easier for Israel to defend itself against the constant attacks of it's neighbors.

That has not helped them.

We sell them arms and give them monetary aid, but at the same time support the purported "rights" of their enemies.

It's not sensible.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:41pm:
You believe that the story of the Chinese pushing the U.N. forces out of North Korea is a false narrative?

That was the first part of the war. Why stop history there?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
Once it became clear that the U.S. isn't in the rescue business anymore, other nations would quickly be attacked.

Fascinating.  When did US taxpayers become saddled with this "rescue business" task?  And who did it?  Who gave them the authority?

SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
  Again, I say level of gratitude is the best measurement of level of need for U.S. support.

So we should give taxpayer handouts only to countries who express gratitude?   

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:16pm:
No, every time their neighbors attacked them, Israel decisively defeated them. We made them give back territory they won in defensive wars, territory that would make it  much easier for Israel to defend itself against the constant attacks of it's neighbors.

That has not helped them.

We sell them arms and give them monetary aid, but at the same time support the purported "rights" of their enemies.

It's not sensible.

Of course not.  When you try to please everyone, you not only lose your own self-interest, you just make all the people you supposedly help mad and ungrateful.

So do you agree that all foreign aid should be ended?

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:18pm:
That was the first part of the war. Why stop history there?

I don't.  I just don't know what you're talking about when you say that some malefactor forced the U.S. to allow the Kim regime to stay in power.  Unless that malefactor was China.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 8:44pm:
Fascinating.  When did US taxpayers become saddled with this "rescue business" task?  And who did it?  Who gave them the authority?

We saddled ourselves with it by encouraging other countries to have little to no ability to protect themselves while signing mutual defense treaties with them.  It makes sense to give them time to arm themselves before we end all protection.

Quote:
So we should give taxpayer handouts only to countries who express gratitude?   

We certainly should not give taxpayer handouts to countries who excoriate us.  Showing gratitude is a good guide to how much any particular country actually needs us. 

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:00am
Print Post  
US aid to other countries comes with an evil cost which is paid by by poor countries agreeing to legitimize US wars of aggression.

The UNSC vote that recently turned against the US was the beginning of nations resisting. Only a few countries sold their principles to receive US aid.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 3:01am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:11pm:
We certainly should not give taxpayer handouts to countries who excoriate us. 

I have an idea:   Stop ALL distribution of taxpayer's wealth to foreign countries. 

This $51 Billion/yr [Foreign Aid] should be refunded to the taxpayers. The government is wrong to take our earnings for the purpose of wealth-distribution.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 7:10am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:04pm:
So do you agree that all foreign aid should be ended?

I have said many times that the government has no grant of power to transfer or distribute or re-distribute wealth. That includes a lack of power to give our money to foreign governments.

But I believe the argument is that giving our money to foreign governments and/or their citizens is done to defend the U.S. and is therefore legitimate as expenditures for national defense. That's a reasonable enough argument that foreign aid is not likely to go away... Not even considering that our government believes the general Welfare clause of the Constitution's Preamble is a grant of general power to use our tax money as the government thinks best.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 7:15am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 9:06pm:
I don't.  I just don't know what you're talking about when you say that some malefactor forced the U.S. to allow the Kim regime to stay in power.  Unless that malefactor was China.

U.S. troops were at the Yalu River, the border of China, when negotiations resulted in them being withdrawn back into what is now South Korea. This was done after the North Koreans and the Chinese had been defeated and driven from Korea. It was a political decision to allow the Communists to have North Korea.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy