Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan (Read 898 times)
Tom Palven
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Reply #20 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:55pm:
It does.  Roughly $18 Billlion for Military Aid, plus $33 Billion in cash handouts.

In the OP you said that the US distributes over $50 billion in aid to over 100 countries, and you have over $50 billion to Pakistan, so something doesn't jibe.  I'm sure that you meant millions to Pakistan. 

The most reecent stats at Wikipedia, 2013, showed that only five countries got billions, Afghanistan with $4.5 billion, Israel with $2.9 billion, Egypt $1.5 billion, Jordan $1.2 billion, and Palestine $1.0 billion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

Could this possibly be fake news?
https://www.geo.tv/latest/175524-trump-could-freeze-2bn-of-pakistan-aid-over-mil...

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 7:15am:
U.S. troops were at the Yalu River, the border of China, when negotiations resulted in them being withdrawn back into what is now South Korea. This was done after the North Koreans and the Chinese had been defeated and driven from Korea. It was a political decision to allow the Communists to have North Korea.

Yes, in the U.S. since WWII, the paradigm has been that our military wins wars and then our politicians lose them.

The post-911 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan should have been over in less than a year, with very few casualties on the coalition side.  We should be there now with occupation forces in place to ensure that those countries become modern democracies.  If that wasn't our intent, we should have just bombed them until we felt we had punished them enough for 911 and left it at that.

Instead, we opted for a kindler gentler war in which rules of engagement were tailor made to allow the terrorists to keep killing our troops and to ensure that the war never ended. 

We're not going to train politicians on how to win a war, so we need to train them to keep the U.S. our of other people's business.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 8:46am:
In the OP you said that the US distributes over $50 billion in aid to over 100 countries, and you have over $50 billion to Pakistan, so something doesn't jibe.  I'm sure that you meant millions to Pakistan. 

The most reecent stats at Wikipedia, 2013, showed that only five countries got billions, Afghanistan with $4.5 billion, Israel with $2.9 billion, Egypt $1.5 billion, Jordan $1.2 billion, and Palestine $1.0 billion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid

Could this possibly be fake news?
https://www.geo.tv/latest/175524-trump-could-freeze-2bn-of-pakistan-aid-over-mil...

From a US pov, I would suggest that the 50 billion is money well spent. Certainly money to Pakistan isn't spent from an humanitarian viewpoint.

The questioning of money being sent to Pakistan only arised because some may think the US doesn't get enough military payback for the 50B investment.

Then Americans with a uninformed political bent start to complain about the huge amount of money being spent. Never understanding in the least how much money it really is in relation to the benefit it affords to US military offensive and defensive operations.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  

I re-read the OP, and can't find where I stated (or even implied) that Pakistan gets over $50 Billion.

I agree that that the annual amount Pakistan receives in handouts is somewhere in the millions.

"Between 2002–2010, US Congress approved $18 billion in military and economic aid from the United States. However the Pakistan Treasury only received $8.647 billion in direct financial payments."

Unfortunately, all news could be fake news. 

Iv'e found that REUTERS is a good source for factual, unbiased news.

In Los Angeles, we have an independent, non-syndicated TV station who offers factual, unbiased news. [KTTV]

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
This reminds me of the likely reason why they had to kill Kennedy.

If Trump did it for the right reason of taking away military aid and continuing with humanitarian aid then he would be accomplishing something good. There's no indication that's what he wants to do.

His people surrounding him pretty well have it right. He's a fukking idiot, he's crazy, he's lost his mind, he's like a child, and on and on.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Rand Paul explains why Foreign Aid hand-outs to Pakistan is a bad idea:

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:20am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 12:56pm:
I re-read the OP, and can't find where I stated (or even implied) that Pakistan gets over $50 Billion.

I was referring to post #9, but now I'm not sure who misinterpreted what.  If it was me I apologize.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
From a US pov, I would suggest that the 50 billion is money well spent. Certainly money to Pakistan isn't spent from an humanitarian viewpoint.

The questioning of money being sent to Pakistan only arised because some may think the US doesn't get enough military payback for the 50B investment.

Then Americans with a uninformed political bent start to complain about the huge amount of money being spent. Never understanding in the least how much money it really is in relation to the benefit it affords to US military offensive and defensive operations.

Now you think our interventions in Pakistan are beneficial?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 10:39am:
Now you think our interventions in Pakistan are beneficial?

Beneficial to US plans for more war, yes. US withdrawing aid to any country is a positive because other countries will easily pick up any part that was humanitarian. You know that don't you sweet parts!

And all the military aid the US provided will be picked up by Russian and China for free.

Why is it that libertarians can't understand this simple concept? Do they think the US had a love affair with Pakistan and somebody got jilted? Jeez jeffy?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 7:20am:
I was referring to post #9, but now I'm not sure who misinterpreted what.  If it was me I apologize.

I should have stated that the $51 Billion was the total foreign aid for all countries. My bad.

Yes, most of Aid to Pakistan went for military support/hardware.  Rand Paul wants to use those funds for domestic infrastructure.  In the video I posted, he suggested that some of the weapons that the US gives to Pakistan wind up in enemy combatant's hands and are used to kill US troops.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy