Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan (Read 917 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Jan 6th, 2018 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
"I’m introducing a bill to end aid to Pakistan in the coming days. My bill will take the money that would have gone to Pakistan and put it in an infrastructure fund to build roads and bridges here at home."
-- Rand Paul [Jan 4, 2018]

Finally. A foreign-policy idea that makes sense!

But why stop there?  How about a bill to stop ALL handouts to foreign countries? Imagine how wonderful our infrastructure would be!

The US distributes over $50 BILLION taxpayer dollars annually to 142 foreign countries.  There is no logical reason for this. Not a one.

I searched and searched for ONE reason WHY the US distributes all this taxpayer-funded cash across the globe.  Could not find ONE SINGLE ANSWER as to WHY we do it.

Another example of a government run amok - idiotic foreign policy - reckless spending.   We need to rein them in!

IP Logged

Tom Palven

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I sure hope that includes military aid, which may be the only aid they are given.

As I've said elsewhere, the Pakistani leadership has said for years that it doesn't want aid, it wants an end to tariffs and quotas on cotton fabrics and clothing.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/danikenson/2013/07/23/textile-protectionism-in-the-...

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
This explains it pretty well, while contending that in order to be "reliable", U.S. taxpayers must keep sending their money to the Pakistani government...

https://www.cgdev.org/page/aid-pakistan-numbers

Edit: What nonsense! What Pakistani "government" am I talking about? Such a thing has never existed you dumb shit!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:18pm:
This explains it pretty well, while contending that in order to be "reliable", U.S. taxpayers must keep sending their money to the Pakistani government...

https://www.cgdev.org/page/aid-pakistan-numbers

Edit: What nonsense! What Pakistani "government" am I talking about? Such a thing has never existed you dumb shit!

What we got for all that waste of blood and treasure was a haven and breeding ground for terrorists that is aligned against America except that we must send them money. Lot's of Pakistanis (and others) are in line for that.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 1:42pm:
"I’m introducing a bill to end aid to Pakistan in the coming days. My bill will take the money that would have gone to Pakistan and put it in an infrastructure fund to build roads and bridges here at home."
-- Rand Paul [Jan 4, 2018]

Finally. A foreign-policy idea that makes sense!

But why stop there?  How about a bill to stop ALL handouts to foreign countries? Imagine how wonderful our infrastructure would be!

The US distributes over $50 BILLION taxpayer dollars annually to 142 foreign countries.  There is no logical reason for this. Not a one.

I searched and searched for ONE reason WHY the US distributes all this taxpayer-funded cash across the globe.  Could not find ONE SINGLE ANSWER as to WHY we do it.

Another example of a government run amok - idiotic foreign policy - reckless spending.   We need to rein them in!

Some countries we support would be overwhelmed by their neighbors if we abandoned them.  South Korea and Israel would fall pretty quickly since they have adversaries making aggressive moves even at the risk of the response of the U.S.  Once it became clear that the U.S. isn't in the rescue business anymore, other nations would quickly be attacked.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Jeff.  I think all foreign aid should be cut off.  But I would favor a more gradual cutoff in recognition of the fact that we have encouraged dependency for several decades, so a sudden cutoff would be cruel.

Again, I say level of gratitude is the best measurement of level of need for U.S. support.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:16pm:
Some countries we support would be overwhelmed by their neighbors if we abandoned them.  South Korea and Israel would fall pretty quickly since they have adversaries making aggressive moves even at the risk of the response of the U.S.
The truth is, we have consistently held Israel back from dealing with the people who keep attacking Israel.

The U.S., military, after liberating North Korea, was called back so that the Kim Regime could keep it's illegitimate power.

What war criminal made that decision? How many tens of millions have died because of that decision? How many are still in bondage?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
The truth is, the more countries that are not beholden to the US for aid, the less influence the US will have on those countries to legitimize US wars of aggression.

Other nations can provide aid without asking for legitimization of war in return.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 5:37pm:
The truth is, we have consistently held Israel back from dealing with the people who keep attacking Israel.

So we should stop helping them, then?  Seriously, if we are holding them back, out help does more harm than good, correct?

Quote:
The U.S., military, after liberating North Korea, was called back so that the Kim Regime could keep it's illegitimate power.

What war criminal made that decision? How many tens of millions have died because of that decision? How many are still in bondage?

Who?

You believe that the story of the Chinese pushing the U.N. forces out of North Korea is a false narrative?

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The truth is, the more countries that are not beholden to the US for aid, the less influence the US will have on those countries to legitimize US wars of aggression.

Other nations can provide aid without asking for legitimization of war in return.

Then you and I agree that the U.S. should cut all foreign aid to all nations.  Even if you disagree on the reason, the policy of no more foreign aid to other nations by the U.S. is one you support?

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Tom Palven wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 2:10pm:
I sure hope that includes military aid, which may be the only aid they are given.

It does.  Roughly $18 Billlion for Military Aid, plus $33 Billion in cash handouts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Rand Paul Bill Will Stop US Aid To Pakistan
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy