Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does "a well regulated militia" allow the gov't to regulate firearms?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Does "a well regulated militia" allow the gov't to regulate firearms? (Read 827 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Does "a well regulated militia" allow the gov't to regulate firearms?
Reply #100 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:50pm:
You realize there are at least 271 federal gun laws on the books, and that it is impossible to conjure up, even for experts, an estimate as to how many exist on the state level?

When we hear about these shootings, for example in the recent Texas church shooting late last year and the 2015 shooting in Charleston, the government did not do their part in conducting proper required background checks or prohibiting specific individuals from owning a firearm. Roof did not have a background check done on him, and the individual who perpetrated the 2017 Texas shooting had a dishonorable discharge from the U.S. military, making it illegal for him to possess a firearm.

It's a government plot to come to your house and take away all your guns. Burying them with your relatives in your back yard is a hillbilly trick they already know about.

IP Logged

DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #101 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:49am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 11:58pm:
It's a government plot to come to your house and take away all your guns. Burying them with your relatives in your back yard is a hillbilly trick they already know about.

Wow, you're so hilarious. Too bad the ignorance has to come with it.

The fact is, guns do save lives – a Department of Justice study estimated guns avert 1.5 million crimes every year.

In 1992 it was found that in the 24 states that had passed concealed-carry laws saw 7.7% fewer murders, 5.2% fewer rapes, 2.2% fewer robberies and 7% fewer assaults than states that hadn't.

Just on your own, you should compare the casualties between shootings where the shooting was interrupted by a good samaritan with a gun, versus shootings interrupted by law enforcement. The average number of casualties in a mass shooting ended by police is 14.29, while the average number of casualties in a mass shooting ended by an armed samaritan is just 2.33.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #102 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:39am
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:49am:
Wow, you're so hilarious. Too bad the ignorance has to come with it.

The fact is, guns do save lives – a Department of Justice study estimated guns avert 1.5 million crimes every year.

In 1992 it was found that in the 24 states that had passed concealed-carry laws saw 7.7% fewer murders, 5.2% fewer rapes, 2.2% fewer robberies and 7% fewer assaults than states that hadn't.

Just on your own, you should compare the casualties between shootings where the shooting was interrupted by a good samaritan with a gun, versus shootings interrupted by law enforcement. The average number of casualties in a mass shooting ended by police is 14.29, while the average number of casualties in a mass shooting ended by an armed samaritan is just 2.33.
I take it you think free law abiding people have a right to be armed and that "regulating" that right is an unconstitutional infringement?

Edit: I do agree with George Washington that militias, in order to be useful, must be regulated. That would include having control over how the militia is armed, but has nothing to do with the right of free people to be armed.

Some Founders attributed our success in the War of Independence to the fact that Americans  were armed from an early age and learned how to shoot straight as they were growing up. It's a fine idea.

If you are teaching your children respect for others and personal responsibility, teaching them to use guns is one good way to help do it.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #103 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:48am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:59pm:
No, I don't want to take away that natural right.  But I don't want to be honest and admit that defending it comes at a cost and part of that cost is accidental deaths by firearms.
To be honest, you have to read and accept the above post by DontTread44.

Guns save lives. They save more lives than the number of people who are accidentally killed by them.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #104 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:48am:
To be honest, you have to read and accept the above post by DontTread44.

I did and I do.

Quote:
Guns save lives. They save more lives than the number of people who are accidentally killed by them.

Yes, that's a very good argument.  Saying that there is no downside to the right to keep and bear arms as applied to individuals is not a good argument because it is so easily disproved.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #105 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:13am:
I did and I do.

Yes, that's a very good argument.  Saying that there is no downside to the right to keep and bear arms as applied to individuals is not a good argument because it is so easily disproved.

What a dumb argument for a libertarian. Pay attention:

The NRA Song

Guns are neat, Guns are sweet
Guns the tool, what makes you cool.
Guns are fine, Guns are mine
Guns are things, that Jesus brings!
Guns for loonies, Guns for cons
Guns for Moonies, Guns for moms!
Guns are fun for everyone,
buy them up by the ton.
Guns for me, Guns for you,
Guns for nuts and children too!
Guns at home, Guns at work,
Guns at play, Guns berserk!
Tons and tons of great big Guns,
Are tons and tons of great big fun!
I’ve got Guns up my nose
‘tween my ears and by my toes.
I’m no fool, I’m so cool,
I take Guns to my school.
I take Guns to my car,
to the store and to the bar.
I got Guns in a drawer,
in my pocket and on the floor.
I got Guns on the wall,
behind the toilet and in the hall.
I got guns in my bed,
one is growing from my head!
Get a Gun and get it fast,
Gun-Gun shoot-shoot is a blast!

What is it about jesus regulates guns don't you extremists understand?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #106 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 10:13am:
Saying that there is no downside to the right to keep and bear arms as applied to individuals is not a good argument because it is so easily disproved.

There is a downside to virtually everything, but when the benefits far outweigh the costs, what you have is a good idea.

If the costs outweighed the benefits, it would be a bad idea.

Having free law abiding citizens armed is a good idea.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #107 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:19pm:
There is a downside to virtually everything, but when the benefits far outweigh the costs, what you have is a good idea.

If the costs outweighed the benefits, it would be a bad idea.

Having free law abiding citizens armed is a good idea.

Now, you've got it!

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #108 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
baby jesus regulates all guns. HE sees good in all guns and orders all kristyuns to respect a gun's rights.

Especially the gun right that a gun has to not be fondled in places that make the gun feel uncomfortable. Getting too affectionate with your gun in an up close sexual way causes your gun to rust!

jesus isn't amused!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #109 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:39pm:
baby jesus regulates all guns. HE sees good in all guns and orders all kristyuns to respect a gun's rights.

Especially the gun right that a gun has to not be fondled in places that make the gun feel uncomfortable. Getting too affectionate with your gun in an up close sexual way causes your gun to rust!

jesus isn't amused!
You now claim to speak for Jesus too?

You're completely mad.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Does "a well regulated militia" allow the gov't to regulate firearms?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy