Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Trump Should Raise the Stakes in DACA Negotiations
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Trump Should Raise the Stakes in DACA Negotiations (Read 456 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Trump Should Raise the Stakes in DACA Negotiations
Reply #20 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:37pm:
Thank you.

Then I'm missing the point you're trying to make.

As to signing a contract and 'maybe' be subject to arbitration? In Canada it's not maybe, it's a legal matter.

I think you were saying that they could choose arbitration of some sort? Government arbitration? In labour law an arbitrator but that's the only other example I'm aware of.
Yes, our unconstitutional "labor laws" specifically the RLA and the NLRA require arbitration before a complaint can be taken to court. That is just another way in which our "labor laws" are unconstitutional.

People are free to voluntarily agree to arbitration, but the government has no authority to force people into it.

Anyone making any sort of contractual agreement is free to include arbitration of disputes as a part of the contract. No 2nd party is required to sign a contract that includes arbitration if they don't want to.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:43pm:
Yes, our unconstitutional "labor laws" specifically the RLA and the NLRA require arbitration before a complaint can be taken to court. That is just another way in which our "labor laws" are unconstitutional.

People are free to voluntarily agree to arbitration, but the government has no authority to force people into it.

Anyone making any sort of contractual agreement is free to include arbitration of disputes as a part of the contract. No 2nd party is required to sign a contract that includes arbitration if they don't want to.

I can agree with you on people having the right to go straight to the courts without arbitration.

On the practical side I have to wonder if the courts could handle the increased load. In Canada I would say they couldn't. They can't even handle to demand as is and a lot of cases can't make it to court.

On workers' compensation issues, the law leaves both the employer and the employee blameless. There's something positive to say about that in my opinion. It would probably make a good discussion.

That may be getting off the issue.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:53pm:
I can agree with you on people having the right to go straight to the courts without arbitration.

On the practical side I have to wonder if the courts could handle the increased load. In Canada I would say they couldn't.
Too bad. What's that to us Americans?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
On workers' compensation issues, the law leaves both the employer and the employee blameless.
Quit smoking whatever you are smoking.

Try to regain control of your mind. 

Thanks.

IP Logged

burnsred

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 2:17pm:
A government such as the one designed by our Constitution has no power to interfere with individuals or their rights beyond a few enumerated and limited powers such as legal taxation, jury duty and potential conscription, all of which are designed and intended to preserve the government so it can protect people and their rights, except juries, which are intended as a protection against the government.

Does that sound like an odd idea, forcing people to serve on juries in order to protect the people against the government? What sort of government would do that, intentionally require citizens to sit in judgement on the governments prosecutions?

It sounds bizarre.  In order to determine whether it is just to confine for a limited time a person accused of a crime, a judge may confine twelve people not even suspected of doing anything illegal with no restriction on how long they may be confined nor under what conditions.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:09am
Print Post  
burnsred wrote on Jan 12th, 2018 at 7:50pm:
It sounds bizarre.  In order to determine whether it is just to confine for a limited time a person accused of a crime, a judge may confine twelve people not even suspected of doing anything illegal with no restriction on how long they may be confined nor under what conditions.

If you can think of a better way to prevent people from being convicted of arbitrary laws or from arbitrary prosecution, I'd like to hear it. I won't buy into the idea of voluntary self selected jurors either.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #26 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:15am
Print Post  

On the practical side I have to wonder if the courts could handle the increased load. In Canada I would say they couldn't. They can't even handle to demand as is and a lot of cases can't make it to court.

It's a problem caused by too much government, too many laws and too many regulations... Unless there are just a lot of criminals in Canada?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 7:15am:
It's a problem caused by too much government, too many laws and too many regulations... Unless there are just a lot of criminals in Canada?

Canada has a lot more laws and regulations that the US and that's resulted in the horrible situation of not nearly as many criminals to fill private jails, which is good for the economy.

If I didn't live in New Jersey I would care.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #28 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:23pm:
Canada has a lot more laws and regulations that the US...
Which is why your courts are all clogged up with a huge backlog of cases.

You need to learn to make simple connections Donat dear.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Jan 13th, 2018 at 12:45pm:
Which is why your courts are all clogged up with a huge backlog of cases.

You need to learn to make simple connections Donat dear.

New Jersey courts are doing just fine sweet bum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Trump Should Raise the Stakes in DACA Negotiations
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy