Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Government is an Extortion Racket
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Government is an Extortion Racket (Read 477 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Government is an Extortion Racket
Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Always has been.  The United States experiment was to plan it in advance so that it wasn't.  That worked in a limited way for a limited demographic group but soon enough it broke down even for them.

In an extortion racket, the racketeer approaches an honest property owner and offers to protect the person's property from vandalism, robbery, theft, etc.   The racketeer may actually protect the owner or they may simply collect the money and do nothing.  But the property owner knows that what they are really buying is forbearance of the racketeer.  If he doesn't pay, the worst danger is from the racketeer himself who will start a fire, vandalize the property, beat the owner, etc. to make him comply or as a warning to others.

This is how government works.  Don't believe me?  Stop paying the IRS and see how long it takes for them to forcibly take your property and likely put you in the slammer. 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Government is an Extortion Racket
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
It is.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:09pm:
Always has been.  The United States experiment was to plan it in advance so that it wasn't.  That worked in a limited way for a limited demographic group but soon enough it broke down even for them.

In an extortion racket, the racketeer approaches an honest property owner and offers to protect the person's property from vandalism, robbery, theft, etc.   The racketeer may actually protect the owner or they may simply collect the money and do nothing.  But the property owner knows that what they are really buying is forbearance of the racketeer.  If he doesn't pay, the worst danger is from the racketeer himself who will start a fire, vandalize the property, beat the owner, etc. to make him comply or as a warning to others.

This is how government works.  Don't believe me?  Stop paying the IRS and see how long it takes for them to forcibly take your property and likely put you in the slammer. 

When you say "always has been," that's true as a statement, but it's gotten many, many times worse over the last hundred years.  It's true as an absolute statement, but you need to recognize degrees

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:09pm:
Always has been.  The United States experiment was to plan it in advance so that it wasn't.  That worked  but soon enough it broke down even for them.
"Limited" meaning it wasn't perfect? Golly.

You paint a picture far from the known reality.

Do you have any idea what happened in the United States? It a long list of mores, more babies lived, more children lived, more adults lived longer and were healthier. On and on and on for a rapidly increasing number of people, everything got better. The stain of slavery was finally erased. Civilized people had hoped the slavers would civilize themselves, which was like hoping the Emperor would free the serfs because he became civilized. It did happen, but not often.

Anyway, what you are describing is in fact what "progressives" have done to the American Experiment in self government... They've made it into something that works "in a limited way for a limited demographic group".

Take your bitch to the "progressives", please. They are at fault for what you don't like about America.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:37pm:

Do you have any idea what happened in the United States? It a long list of mores, more babies lived, more children lived, more adults lived longer and were healthier. On and on and on for a rapidly increasing number of people, everything got better. The stain of slavery was finally erased. Civilized people had hoped the slavers would civilize themselves, which was like hoping the Emperor would free the serfs because he became civilized. It did happen, but not often.

Anyway, what you are describing is in fact what "progressives" have done to the American Experiment in self government... They've made it into something that works "in a limited way for a limited demographic group".

Take your bitch to the "progressives", please. They are at fault for what you don't like about America.

America has fallen behind the rest of the world's leading countries on child mortality rates and life expectancy.

If that matters then the progressives have answers to fix the problem.

But it doesn't matter. The only downside is it gives me pleasure to bring it up!

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:49pm:
America has fallen behind the rest of the world's leading countries on child mortality rates and life expectancy.

If that matters then the progressives have answers to fix the problem.
They caused the problems Don, and they don't want to fix them.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:49pm:
America has fallen behind the rest of the world's leading countries on child mortality rates and life expectancy

Only according to self reported numbers, which in most of the world are vastly under counted.  So you want to be born in Uganda instead of Newark?  LOL, sure you do, liar

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 5:37pm:

You cut out part of my quote about limited groups:

That worked in a limited way for a limited demographic group

You surely admit that "democracy" aka rule by the people was only for a severely limited group.  It's easier to say who was allowed included than who wasn't.  White male landowners, that's it. 

But even for those white male landowners, the new republic turned out to be an extortion scheme. Ask the whiskey makers from whom the congress demanded a tax (not all whiskey makers, just some of them) and against whom Washington took his horse-riding, heavily armed bagmen.   That wasn't the New Deal, that was proof that the federal government had the power to enforce its will through force. 

Of course, it bungled it that time since few taxes were actually collected by the enforcers.  But it sure got better at the extortion.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 6:36am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 8:10pm:
You cut out part of my quote about limited groups:

That's what our "progressive" government is doing now, not what our government did prior to the "progressive era, although there were always "progressives" trying to help specific people or groups of people, they hadn't captured the entire government or inverted the Constitution, so they weren't very effective... Now they are.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 7:58am
Print Post  
burnsred Wrote:

Quote:

Billie wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 6:36am:
That's what our "progressive" government is doing now, not what our government did prior to the "progressive era, although there were always "progressives" trying to help specific people or groups of people, they hadn't captured the entire government or inverted the Constitution, so they weren't very effective... Now they are.

You are seriously saying that, prior to the progressive era, government as a democratic republic worked for all demographic groups?

Come on, Jeff.  You know better than that.  Or maybe you don't.  Along with reading an writing, voting was forbidden to Black citizens, even those who masters were very benevolent.  The one thing Black citizens avoided was taxation, but that was because they owned absolutely nothing so nothing to steal from them.

Women were subject to taxation but had zero representation.  A whiskey maker who didn't own land was in the same boat. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Government is an Extortion Racket
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy