Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Government is an Extortion Racket
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Government is an Extortion Racket (Read 453 times)
Billie
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Government is an Extortion Racket
Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 9:06am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 7:58am:
burnsred Wrote:

You are seriously saying that, prior to the progressive era, government as a democratic republic worked for all demographic groups?

No. Slavers screwed up everything and caused a civil war because they refused to civilize themselves.

Jim Crow laws in the former slave states continued to oppress black people until the former slave states were forced by the federal government at gunpoint to give them up.

Nevertheless, outside of the abomination of slavery, our national government did not operate to favor one demographic group over another until the "Great Society".

Neither were our federal tax laws used as political tools until the progressive era.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 9:06am:
No. Slavers screwed up everything and caused a civil war because they refused to civilize themselves.

Jim Crow laws in the former slave states continued to oppress black people until the former slave states were forced by the federal government at gunpoint to give them up.

Nevertheless, outside of the abomination of slavery, our national government did not operate to favor one demographic group over another until the "Great Society".

What about women and Indians?

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:01pm:

Have you noticed how Jeff has started to go straight? And then you obfuscate with that stupid question?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:15pm:
Have you noticed how Jeff has started to go straight? And then you obfuscate with that stupid question?

Jeff's usually straight from roughly noon (when his hangover finally wears off) until almost 5 (when the new party night begins.

Usually ...

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:09pm:
Always has been.  The United States experiment was to plan it in advance so that it wasn't.  That worked in a limited way for a limited demographic group but soon enough it broke down even for them.

In an extortion racket, the racketeer approaches an honest property owner and offers to protect the person's property from vandalism, robbery, theft, etc.   The racketeer may actually protect the owner or they may simply collect the money and do nothing.  But the property owner knows that what they are really buying is forbearance of the racketeer.  If he doesn't pay, the worst danger is from the racketeer himself who will start a fire, vandalize the property, beat the owner, etc. to make him comply or as a warning to others.

This is how government works.  Don't believe me?  Stop paying the IRS and see how long it takes for them to forcibly take your property and likely put you in the slammer. 

When you define the government as an illegitimate thug, you disprove purist libertarianism as a working model. Here's how:

Purist libertarians first assert that in anarchy, everything will work itself out. There will be no or little opportunity for thugs to steal.

When you define the government as an illegitimate thug, you have defined your system into anarchy.

It is an anarchy in which the prominence of stealing by thugs and the lack of answer by the free market disprove the assertion that anarchy will end well.

"But Mr. Libertarian, what if the thug becomes too powerful, and private security companies can't compete?"

"You're just silly, Billy. That can't happen because the free market won't let it."

Well, it already did.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
When you define the government as an illegitimate thug, you disprove purist libertarianism as a working model. Here's how:

Purist libertarians first assert that in anarchy, everything will work itself out. There will be no or little opportunity for thugs to steal.

When you define the government as an illegitimate thug, you have defined your system into anarchy.

It is an anarchy in which the prominence of stealing by thugs and the lack of answer by the free market disprove the assertion that anarchy will end well.

"But Mr. Libertarian, what if the thug becomes too powerful, and private security companies can't compete?"

"You're just silly, Billy. That can't happen because the free market won't let it."

Well, it already did.

Smiley

Um ... what?

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 1:01pm:

Slavers screwed them too.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 3:21pm:
When you define the government as an illegitimate thug, you disprove purist libertarianism as a working model.
Dolt.

You can't change one thing by redefining another, and "pure" libertarian is the same as fundamentalist christian anarchist.

Nothing really works for long when those models are applied.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:30pm:
Slavers screwed them too.

Maybe it was consensual, like with Sally Hemings.  Maybe those Indians seduced those founders.

Or maybe they wrote rousing speeches about a great democracy but knew all along it would be a white male landowners-only club?

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Jan 24th, 2018 at 5:36pm:
Or maybe they wrote rousing speeches about a great democracy but knew all along it would be a white male landowners-only club?

I thought the Congressional Black Caucus was helping Chinks buy up America?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Government is an Extortion Racket
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy