Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Once Again, the GOP Determined to Pull Defeat out of Victory
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Once Again, the GOP Determined to Pull Defeat out of Victory (Read 276 times)
Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Once Again, the GOP Determined to Pull Defeat out of Victory
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:11pm:
Yes, making our own decisions over our own lives, that's just ignorant and unfeasible.  Only a lunatic would want that.  Government has repeatedly proven how much more effectively it runs our lives than we do

You're trying to talk to me because you want to make some points you consider valid.

But you can't bring yourself to do so in a respectable way. I know you fear a nasty and sarcastic comeback at you but you have to understand that's of your own making.

I'm o.k. with that but it's obvious you aren't. Your move.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 12:14pm:
Our winner take all system...
We don't have a "winner take all " system, we have a federal system of divided government nationally, with most of the power remaining in the various states, which also have governments whose powers are divided, and all of the various powers and duties are subject to the law that is the various constitutions governing the various governments.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:56pm:
We don't have a "winner take all " system, we have a federal system of divided government nationally, with most of the power remaining in the various states, which also have governments whose powers are divided, and all of the various powers and duties are subject to the law that is the various constitutions governing the various governments.

Don's right, we have a winner take all system.  In parliamentary countries, seats are divided by votes.  That is why their legislatures have so many more parties.  Perot/the Reform Party got 19% of the vote and no seats in congress.  In Europe, they may not have gotten a full 19% of the seats, but it would have approached that.

That allows you to build a third party because you don't have to actually win elections to win seats.  That is how Republicans and Democrats keep everyone else out.

The only Libertarians in the US congress have won because they are both a Libertarian and a Republican

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 1:56pm:

"Winner take all" is not the best way to put it, I concede.  I'm contrasting our system with proportional representation, not that that would be any better necessarily.  Also the presidential candidate who got the second greatest number of votes used to be the Vice President.  Changing that made us more solidly partisan, not less. 

But I don't mean to say that our two party system is what stands in the way of libertarianism.  How we staff up the governments that we let rob us and rule over us isn't the issue.  Shrink the government down to functions that only government can perform and ban theft by the government and libertarianism would naturally follow.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 2:00pm:
Don's right, we have a winner take all system.  In parliamentary countries, seats are divided by votes.  That is why their legislatures have so many more parties.  Perot/the Reform Party got 19% of the vote and no seats in congress.  In Europe, they may not have gotten a full 19% of the seats, but it would have approached that.

That allows you to build a third party because you don't have to actually win elections to win seats.  That is how Republicans and Democrats keep everyone else out.

The only Libertarians in the US congress have won because they are both a Libertarian and a Republican

I could have told you something about a three party system and why your understanding of it is wrong , but you blew your chance to have me with you on your selsom rational shit Pig.

In essence Jeff is right. Not even offering to bl-w me will get me back now pig.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 2nd, 2018 at 3:06pm:
I could have told you something about a three party system and why your understanding of it is wrong , but you blew your chance to have me with you on your selsom rational shit Pig.

In essence Jeff is right. Not even offering to bl-w me will get me back now pig.

Can't man up to your choice still.  I wonder why.

What do you know about a three party system?  New Jersey has a one party system

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Once Again, the GOP Determined to Pull Defeat out of Victory
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy