Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Government interference in the free market making things worse?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Government interference in the free market making things worse? (Read 383 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Government interference in the free market making things worse?
Reply #20 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 6:37pm:
What?

He let you live with him for a little over half the monthly rent and you thought that should be illegal? And you later threatened to have him arrested? Cheesy

You should have found some place to live that you didn't have to share with a criminal.

Go to sleep, drugie drunkard.  Tomorrow will be a new day

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:41am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:08pm:
When I got my MBA at Michigan, I took an internship job in a Wall Street investment bank for the summer between my first and second year.  I was in the global investment banking group.  I rented a rent controlled apartment.  Here's how it worked.

The guy I rented it from had five rent controlled units around The City.  His wife had more.  He paid the building owner rent controlled rates for them all, he sublet them for market rates.  That's such a crock.  The building owner gets screwed because he still can't rent his units for market rates.

I filed with the rent control commission and actually got back the amount he overcharged me for the summer a couple years later.

Not to nitpick, but he really didn't overcharge you because:

Quote:
  I had no problem paying the rates he charged,

Paying the market rate wasn't being overcharged, it was not getting the benefit of government forcing the owner to undercharge.  The person who sublet it to you got that benefit.

Quote:
but I thought it was wrong that he was stealing from the building owner for a unit he didn't even use anymore

Correct.  Just out of curiosity, did you return the stolen money to the owner after the courts awarded you a refund for what it saw as an overcharge?

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:08am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:41am:
Not to nitpick, but he really didn't overcharge you because:

Paying the market rate wasn't being overcharged, it was not getting the benefit of government forcing the owner to undercharge.  The person who sublet it to you got that benefit.

I directly addressed that.  Building on my answer is one thing.  Ignoring it is another

SnarkySack wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:41am:
Correct.  Just out of curiosity, did you return the stolen money to the owner after the courts awarded you a refund for what it saw as an overcharge?

Fair question.  No, I didn't.  He wasn't getting more money anyway.  But that would have been the maximum noble thing to do, I agree.  Though I didn't give my self credit for nobility.  Only for doing the part you skipped.  I also had no idea who it was and it wasn't really that much money so it would have been REALLY noble to hunt them down and give them money they weren't going to get anyway.

Also, the word "return" is an unnecessary flame since it implies that I took the money from him and I didn't.

You may notice that I'm starting to call out the people who whine about the discourse on the site for your own discourse.  Start with yourself.

I have two modes.  When you chose serious, I don't lace my replies with insults like you do.  You're choosing fun

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:08am:
I have two modes.  When you chose serious, I don't lace my replies with insults like you do.  You're choosing fun

That's not true but it's a disclaimer you've tried several times already. You choose serious until somebody makes a point you can't refute and then you start your insults.

Or some other method of escaping the conversation? Troll pictures or strings of emoticons ring any bells?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:38pm:
That's not true but it's a disclaimer you've tried several times already. You choose serious until somebody makes a point you can't refute and then you start your insults.

Or some other method of escaping the conversation? Troll pictures or strings of emoticons ring any bells?

How would you know that?

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 10:08am:
I directly addressed that.  Building on my answer is one thing.  Ignoring it is another

Fair question.  No, I didn't.  He wasn't getting more money anyway.  But that would have been the maximum noble thing to do, I agree.  Though I didn't give my self credit for nobility.  Only for doing the part you skipped.  I also had no idea who it was and it wasn't really that much money so it would have been REALLY noble to hunt them down and give them money they weren't going to get anyway.

I doubt if I would have been that noble, either. 

Quote:
Also, the word "return" is an unnecessary flame since it implies that I took the money from him and I didn't.
  But the person who sublet to you did and the court gave you the money instead of returning it to the rightful owner.  So you could have indeed "returned" it to him.  Just like if someone stole a car and lent it to you.  When you found out it was stolen, you wouldn't "return" it to the thief, you would return it to the owner.

Quote:
You may notice that I'm starting to call out the people who whine about the discourse on the site for your own discourse.  Start with yourself.

Take it in fun, then.  I won't change my snarkiness.   I honestly can't tell the difference between when I show you are wrong about something and when you think I'm being snarky.  Case in point, I had no idea that I was being sarcastic or mean when I asked if you had returned the money.  Since I can't tell what offends you, I can't avoid it.

It would be too much effort anyway, looking over every post before posting for any hint of snark in order to protect the feelings of a message board poster who regular calls people idiots and whatnot. 

I do like that you called me a "You Snarky Sack of Sh__."  I LoL every time I think about it. If it's possible, I'm going to change my login name to that.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #26 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:49pm:
I doubt if I would have been that noble, either. 

You weren't.  Remember, you did the same thing, you lived artificially cheaply in a rent controlled apartment

But the person who sublet to you did and the court gave you the money instead of returning it to the rightful owner.  So you could have indeed "returned" it to him

I already said that.  You don't read any better than Jeff does

Quote:
You may notice that I'm starting to call out the people

Take it in fun, then.  I won't change my snarkiness.   I honestly can't tell the difference between when I show you are wrong about something and when you think I'm being snarky.  It would be too much effort anyway, to protect the feelings of an message board poster who regular calls people idiots and whatnot. 

I do like that you called me a "You Snarky Sack of Sh__."  I LoL every time I think about it. If it's possible, I'm going to change my login name to that.

Your typical dishonest post where you cut out text to change what I said.

I'll dumb it down for you so it's in your native language.

Be as snarky as you want.  Just stop whining when you get insulted back. I never said a word until you started whining when I insulted you back.

Pull down your dress, your lady parts are showing

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #27 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:51pm:

Take it in fun, then.  I won't change my snarkiness.   I honestly can't tell the difference between when I show you are wrong about something and when you think I'm being snarky.  It would be too much effort anyway, to protect the feelings of an message board poster who regular calls people idiots and whatnot. 

Be as snarky as you want.  Just stop whining when you get insulted back. I never said a word until you started whining when I insulted you back.

Pull down your dress, your lady parts are showing

He's absolutely right, and you're the same way with everybody. You need to start proving you can sustain a conversation without having to turn to snarkiness or some other escape mechanism. Your snarkiness, rows of emoticons, and troll pictures are childish. You've certainly been told that enough times now.

Are you going to change or are you going to leave again fro a year? I'm quite happy with you staying the way you are because it makes your comments irrelevant.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #28 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:57pm:
He's absolutely right, and you're the same way with everybody. You need to start proving you can sustain a conversation without having to turn to snarkiness or some other escape mechanism. Your snarkiness, rows of emoticons, and troll pictures are childish. You've certainly been told that enough times now.

Are you going to change or are you going to leave again fro a year? I'm quite happy with you staying the way you are because it makes your comments irrelevant.

No, I'm not. 

1)  When people pick serious, I don't insult them at all directly or indirectly.  Not many people do that.  Ahhell does.  Opposition does sometimes, not others.  When he's serious he gets it back.  But again, not many pick serious on internet message boards.  You've never picked serious for more than one post, and that only happened maybe a half dozen times through time

2)  I never whine about insulting people.  I just give it back to them.

Here's the funny thing.  That's the point I made

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #29 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
You weren't.  Remember, you did the same thing, you lived artificially cheaply in a rent controlled apartment

I already said that.  You don't read any better than Jeff does

Pull down your dress, your lady parts are showing [/quote]

I never said a word until you were calling me names and Don asked why I put up with it.  Then I just said that I thought you would grow up someday. 

You take being proven wrong as snarkiness and that motivates you to be insulting.   Go right ahead, I'll still read your posts hoping for something worth responding to.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Government interference in the free market making things worse?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy