Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Racism is a Big Problem in the US.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Racism is a Big Problem in the US. (Read 711 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Racism is a Big Problem in the US.
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 5:40pm:
I know you're kidding but I would personally agree to anything to end first steps and actually solve the problem.

What happened to critical thinking and being rational and scientific?

Our government has enacted quite a few laws that require racism...

Unless you want to defend them, lets get rid of them.

Lets get rid of them period.

A government with the power to pass racist laws gets to pick which race to help, and which race to hurt.

That has never worked out well.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 5:40pm:
I know you're kidding but I would personally agree to anything to end first steps and actually solve the problem.

In ten years, this will be just another first step.

Racism cannot ever be eradicated.  It can be outlawed, I suppose, but that won't make racism go away.

We need to deal with racism.  It's not going anywhere.  We need to shun it when it becomes apparent and at the same time we need to be diligent when we use the term.  I see a lot of talking-head MSM pundits use the term as an insult to someone they don't like.  Mostly Trump.  This is bad on two fronts;  it shows they are willing to allow their emotions trump critical thinking, and it shows that they are using terminology that they don't understand.

When someone calls Haiti a "shithole", that's not racism.  But because Trump said it, they claim that he is (a) racist.  This does a disservice to the people who use the term correctly.

If you're gonna call someone a racist, for Athena's sake, make goddam sure he (or she) IS.

(Not you, personally, Oppo, I mean everyone)

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 9:32pm:
Racism cannot ever be eradicated.  It can be outlawed, I suppose, but that won't make racism go away.

We need to deal with racism.  It's not going anywhere.  We need to shun it when it becomes apparent and at the same time we need to be diligent when we use the term.  I see a lot of talking-head MSM pundits use the term as an insult to someone they don't like.  Mostly Trump.  This is bad on two fronts;  it shows they are willing to allow their emotions trump critical thinking, and it shows that they are using terminology that they don't understand.

When someone calls Haiti a "shithole", that's not racism.  But because Trump said it, they claim that he is (a) racist.  This does a disservice to the people who use the term correctly.

If you're gonna call someone a racist, for Athena's sake, make goddam sure he (or she) IS.

(Not you, personally, Oppo, I mean everyone)

It's just that morality is on their side, so the people they're attacking have no choice but to relent.

I say make them tell the world exactly what they want, and give it to them, no matter what that is.

Because whatever it is today will be just another first step tomorrow.

Jeff wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 5:50pm:
What happened to critical thinking and being rational and scientific?

I prefer rational and scientific, but in the case of morality, they go out the window.

Jeff wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 5:50pm:
Our government has enacted quite a few laws that require racism...

Unless you want to defend them, lets get rid of them.

Lets get rid of them period.

A government with the power to pass racist laws gets to pick which race to help, and which race to hurt.

That has never worked out well.

Many people disagree with your definition of racism.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:37am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:28pm:
Favoring one group of people over other groups because of the color of their skin isn't racism?

Who disagrees with that definition?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 12:29pm
Print Post  
tomline wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 12:32pm:
Racism is a big problem especially since Trump was elected.

Yes, and Trump has openly promoted racism. He's become the hero of racists because he's freed them to speak openly against non-whites in ways that used to be cleverly hidden.

Trump is proudly putting the cause against racism back years.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:37am:
Favoring one group of people over other groups because of the color of their skin isn't racism?

Who disagrees with that definition?

https://www.pambazuka.org/governance/black-people-can%E2%80%99t-be-racist

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reverse-racism-isnt-a-thing_us_55d60a91e4b0...

http://www.latina.com/lifestyle/news/dear-white-people-explain-reverse-racism-no...

Quote:
Calling out racism doesn’t equate to racism. In fact, reverse racism isn’t even a real thing. In a video for HuffPost Black Voices, Dear White People director Justin Simien and actress Logan Browning break down why, despite all the white tears, Black people can’t be racist.

“Black people can't be racist. Black people can be prejudice, they can be biased but they can't be racist,” Browning says. “… Racism is the oppression of a marginalized group in a society that's based on white supremacy. If you are a white person, then you naturally benefit from white privilege.”

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 3rd, 2018 at 10:28pm:
I prefer rational and scientific, but in the case of morality, they go out the window.

I understand that your thoughts and beliefs on morality are irrational, it's one of your biggest problems.

When government favors a group of people because of their race, it is racism. It can have horrible effects, no matter how you define it or whatever you call it.

If you happen to be of a race that is favored by government, it can have great benefits, or benefits that look good, at least in the short term. If you are of a disfavored race, you might be exterminated.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
I understand that your thoughts and beliefs on morality are irrational, it's one of your biggest problems.

Call all those people I referenced irrational. I don't believe that. They do.

I've told you a million times I don't have a conscience. If the most moral people say killing is wrong, I don't kill. If the most moral people say racism is wrong, I listen to them, and accept their definition of racism.

Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:58pm:
When government favors a group of people because of their race, it is racism. It can have horrible effects, no matter how you define it or whatever you call it.

They, not I, just explained to you why that's not the case.

I'm white. You think I wouldn't prefer a world where what you just said is true? Of course I would. My preference is for flat fairness.

People who understand morality better than I do can tell you why flat fairness isn't good enough.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 6:37pm:

When a Jim Crow law was enacted by a state  government, it favored white skinned people over black skinned people (Whites over people from Central Africa mostly).

That is an instance of racism, but any and all laws passed by government that treat one race differently than another (or others) are racist.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2018 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
I've told you a million times I don't have a conscience...

How is it possible that someone with a superior intellect has no conscience?  These things go hand-in-hand, right?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Racism is a Big Problem in the US.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy