Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Anarchy Vs Theft by Government
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Anarchy Vs Theft by Government (Read 489 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Anarchy Vs Theft by Government
Reply #30 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 7:15pm:
Are you also rejecting ownership rights in minerals and such beneath the land? So that when people started pumping oil out from under their land, it wasn't their oil? Or when they dug coal out of their land and sold it, it wasn't their coal?

Sure it was theirs.  If they pumped oil or dug coal from unclaimed land (if there is any around) they would own that oil and coal.   It's a work product and people have a natural right to own it.  Just like if they fished fish from a lake that nobody owns.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:55pm:
You never owned it in the first place without government.  Your "I got here first" idea is a fantasy.  When ungoverned tribal people roamed the earth, they may have stopped and built shelters or moved into caves.
Then they built villages and towns. When people gathered into large enough communities and those communities became more permanent, they started creating governments. One of the reasons they created governments was to more easily secure their property rights.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:59pm:
Sure it was theirs.  If they pumped oil or dug coal from unclaimed land (if there is any around) they would own that oil and coal.   It's a work product and people have a natural right to own it.  Just like if they fished fish from a lake that nobody owns.

So you recognize my property rights to what is on my land (my buildings and trees and crops) and beneath my land (water and minerals), and even my right to sell part of my land (topsoil), but maintain that the "land itself" is sort of on loan from the government.

It's just nonsense.

BTW, lakes that nobody owns are claimed by the government, which also claims to own the fish in them.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #33 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
burnsred wrote yesterday at 6:58pm:

Well, no you didn't discuss it.  That's why I said you missed that point.

Now there's some Jeff style word parsing

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:06pm:
If he said something that you didn't reply to, it's possible you did miss that point, or maybe you ignored it.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #35 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:06pm:

LOL, showing again that you're disagreeing me without even having any idea what we're discussing.  That darned ODD ...

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:38pm:
LOL, showing again that you're disagreeing me without even having any idea what we're discussing.  That darned ODD ...
There's a lot of ODD people on this forum if you ask me!

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #37 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 3:42pm:
There's a lot of ODD people on this forum if you ask me!

I can't argue that

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
A libertarian system is where government only protects life and property rights and enforces contracts.

These are moral codes that are in universal agreement -- the kind of rules we have the least to fear from officials abusing their power or lacking the motivation to do their job.

The fundamental problem of the world system today is that, even in the best countries, while governments pretend to promote free markets, their taking on the management of money has fundamentally distorted economies, robbed people, and created the incentives for the elites to take us further down the road to serfdom.  Money should be a totally free market.

There is a role for government to provide support for the universally agreed values.  If I shoot someone in the street and claim he was trying to rob me, how are we going to determine if I'm not actually the guilty one?  There has to be a publicly supported institution to decide such things.

We have to understand precisely how the system is rigged, in order to un-rig it.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #39 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:18pm:
A libertarian system is where government only protects life and property rights and enforces contracts

Life, liberty and property, yeah

BobK71 wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:18pm:
If I shoot someone in the street and claim he was trying to rob me, how are we going to determine if I'm not actually the guilty one?  There has to be a publicly supported institution to decide such things

Well, in our system, you are entitled to due process and the government cannot convict you, a jury of your peers must do that.  As flawed as that may be, I haven't heard a better idea

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Anarchy Vs Theft by Government
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy