Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Parade? Really?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Parade? Really? (Read 250 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: A Parade? Really?
Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 1:10pm:
I don't like parades, people use them as an excuse to throw garbage anywhere but the garbage can, leaves the place filthy.

Anyrate, the notion of holding a military parade to outshine the french is about as Trump as you can get, he'll likely have the tanks gilded.

He may even want to ride in the lead tank wearing a golden football helmet as Patton suggested.

Quote:
I doubt it would do anything but I bet there's clips of Reagan or other conservative heroes laughing at soviet era parades, someone should dig those up and see if Trump will have a change of heart.

Luckily for the dignity of our troops, Sarah Sanders was already dismissing the idea as just in preliminary stages, so it will never happen.

Trump may have gotten the idea from the Novel Catch 22.  A young officer wanted to force units to Parade on Saturday just to show that he could.  His mentor told him to announce a parade and then cancel it, or better yet, just announce that "there will be no parade this Saturday" which no one could object to but which would imply that there would be a parade if they young officer wanted one.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
You know why but if not see my post.

Why what?
Quote:
They wouldn't be laughing, they would be taking it very seriously and using it as hate propaganda against Russia. Currently the left media is showing lots of N.K. parades with them goosestepping. No Nazi parades though, for some reason?
Probably because NAZI germany was defeated 70 years ago.  Yes laughing, ridicule is a potent PR tool.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The American people love their military and they love the wars it represents.

It might not be wrong to discriminate against me and paint me with broad strokes like this, but it hurts just as much.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 7:19pm:
There's a reason that Americans do parades to celebrate holidays, but not as a show of military strength.

Everyone knows we have the world's most bloated military.  No need to show off the hardware to show the world that we have it.  We've been demonstrating its effectiveness in bizarre wars in which there is nothing to win and no way to win it for more than fifteen years now.

As a soldier who carried a rifle for a living for twelve years, I can tell you that the last way a military person wants to be honored is to have to march in a crappity smacking parade.

That's funny.  So you imagine a North Korea style of parade?  You have a vivid imagination.  I personally think parades suck and I have no interest in going to one.  But please, the idea would not be for the military to demonstrate it's power ala the Soviet Union.  There is as you said no reason for that, so I don't get why you would possibly decide that's the point.  The idea would be for the people to cheer the military.

I'd like to see some actual military opinions on their views of that

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:08pm:
That's funny.  So you imagine a North Korea style of parade?  You have a vivid imagination.  I personally think parades suck and I have no interest in going to one.  But please, the idea would not be for the military to demonstrate it's power ala the Soviet Union.  There is as you said no reason for that, so I don't get why you would possibly decide that's the point.  The idea would be for the people to cheer the military.

I'd like to see some actual military opinions on their views of that

Well, you got one from me, but any other vets on board are welcome to weigh in.

The reason I assume it would be tanks, cannon and missiles rather than just troops is that Trump seems to want to outdo China and North Korea.  We'll never know, since he seems to have abandoned the idea at the advice of the wise subordinates he is smart enough to surround himself with.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #15 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I doubt it would do anything but I bet there's clips of Reagan or other conservative heroes laughing at soviet era parades, someone should dig those up and see if Trump will have a change of heart.

I'm disappointed, you're usually bigger than posting this stupid shit.  No one wants a soviet style parade.  No one

Anyrate, the notion of holding a military parade to outshine the french is about as Trump as you can get, he'll likely have the tanks gilded

Do you care what the military thinks?  Do you think it might be a chance for the public and military to show each other appreciation? 

I'm from a military family.  I'm strongly against our foreign wars and military policies, but I blame the politicians, not the military for that.  The military's job is to do what they are ordered to do.  You usually don't get baited by this stupid shit.   Yeah, we're going to parade rocket launchers, wear giant military hats and goose step.  That's it. I expect that from Don & Burnsred, not you

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 1:10pm:

The reason I assume it would be tanks, cannon and missiles rather than just troops is that Trump seems to want to outdo China and North Korea.  We'll never know, since he seems to have abandoned the idea at the advice of the wise subordinates he is smart enough to surround himself with.

Seems to me that some of his smart subordinates were promoting the idea for him.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #17 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:13pm
Print Post  

I second that.  I'd love to hear what actual military think

Not interested in your paranoid, hyperbolic crap.   You and Don can discuss tonight over firelight and wine

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #18 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Seems to me that some of his smart subordinates were promoting the idea for him.

More made up shit from the tool

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:

That's what smart subordinates do when their boss talks out of his ass as consistently as Trump does.  They publicly support him while privately bringing him to his senses.

If there was a Dem who talked out of his ass, this woudn't be such a problem.  Maybe if it was anyone but Trump.  The Dem/Media insists on taking everything Trump says absolutely literally and then grilling his staff about it.

I guess they need something to distract from the great economic news now that the Russia investigation has backfired on them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › A Parade? Really?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy