Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Bernie Sanders says social security is a very successful program that
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Bernie Sanders says social security is a very successful program that (Read 574 times)
DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Bernie Sanders says social security is a very successful program that
Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Bernie Sanders says that social security is a very "popular and important" program, and that it has been "enormously successful in reducing poverty among seniors".

Has it been successful in reducing poverty among seniors?

I know social security as a bankrupt program where most Americans don't believe they'll ever get their retirement benefits.

IP Logged

SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Bernie Sanders says social security is a very successful program that
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:26pm:
Bernie Sanders says that social security is a very "popular and important" program, and that it has been "enormously successful in reducing poverty among seniors".

It sure has.  Just like John Dillinger ran a program that was enormously successful in reducing poverty among a small group of ex-convicts. 

Social Security is a huge inter-generational Ponzi scheme.   

Quote:
I know social security as a bankrupt program where most Americans don't believe they'll ever get their retirement benefits.

The pyramid will have to collapse, but it will be a slow collapse in which benefits are reduced either openly or through inflation that they system doesn't compensate for with increases.

Our system in which politicians buy votes by allowing more and more people on the dole to be supported by fewer and fewer producers is completely unstainable. 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 6:44pm:
It sure has.  Just like John Dillinger ran a program that was enormously successful in reducing poverty among a small group of ex-convicts. 

The pyramid will have to collapse, but it will be a slow collapse in which benefits are reduced either openly or through inflation that they system doesn't compensate for with increases.

Our system in which politicians buy votes by allowing more and more people on the dole to be supported by fewer and fewer producers is completely unstainable. 

If it collapses then it will be because it stopped being funded. And then the US will collapse with it.

Fortunately for Americans, the lesson learned from Trump's greed and his giving a leg up to the very wealthy will teach Americans a long needed lesson.

Sadly, the rest of the world won't get to enjoy watching Americans die on the streets because of the lack of social services.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If it collapses then it will be because it stopped being funded. And then the US will collapse with it.

Fortunately for Americans, the lesson learned from Trump's greed and his giving a leg up to the very wealthy will teach Americans a long needed lesson.

Sadly, the rest of the world won't get to enjoy watching Americans die on the streets because of the lack of social services.

Why not?  Is the worldwide caliphate going to ban television?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:05pm:
Why not?  Is the worldwide caliphate going to ban television?

No, because the move among Americans toward somebody who talks like Bernie is on and accelerating. I've told you before that Trump was promising the same but he was lying.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 6:44pm:

Exactly right, Snarky.   

The pyramid scheme will eventually collapse because the social security payouts to retirees are to be funded by future generations.  The problem is, the US birth-rate is in decline - it's the lowest it has ever been. This spells disaster for the pyramid.

The government will need to raise the retirement age to 72.  That should hold off the inevitable collapse for a few years, anyway.

IP Logged

AlayneLeung

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Let's remember that most persons perhaps won't be able to pay into the system to pay for Social Security benefits because of lack of jobs because robots and drones and software and holograms are causing more jobs to become less existing.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 5:26pm:

I don't think so.

I've been told by people on this forum that economics isn't a zero-sum game - that it's possible for the free market to make everyone less poor.

But I don't see that. And I think it's precisely because economics is a zero-sum game that you can't just give people money.

When you do that, prices rise. For example, landlords now know seniors have juicy social security checks for them to take advantage of. Prices rise.

And the kicker is that the prices have risen for everyone, not just the people getting the assistance.

You're not changing anything about poverty by redistributing anything. You're just redistributing poverty.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
None of you want to face reality but that's not something common to libertarians as much as it's common to Americans. The reality of the situation is easy to understand. Let's start by dispelling the Chief's nonsensical concern about fewer workers because of decreasing birth rate. It's of no consequence because automation has taken over and workers are a surplus. Done!

The US isn't any poorer now than when all those unemployed were working at good paying jobs. Only the people are poorer. That's because the US or the very wealthy is something different from the people.

The simplicity of the explanation is in knowing that automation has caused enormous wealth among a very few and that wealth isn't being distributed around to the masses.

That's all easily provable by looking at wealth levels and the hugely grown income inequality.

The rest of the world understands and is starting to come to terms with it out of necessity. The US will be the last to accept reality and hence attempt to destroy their own country by allowing greed to stop progressive change.

You sort of phony libertarians as your own country's worst enemy!

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Quote:
None of you want to face reality but that's not something common to libertarians as much as it's common to Americans. The reality of the situation is easy to understand. Let's start by dispelling the Chief's nonsensical concern about fewer workers because of decreasing birth rate. It's of no consequence because automation has taken over and workers are a surplus. Done!

The US isn't any poorer now than when all those unemployed were working at good paying jobs. Only the people are poorer. That's because the US or the very wealthy is something different from the people.

The simplicity of the explanation is in knowing that automation has caused enormous wealth among a very few and that wealth isn't being distributed around to the masses.

That's all easily provable by looking at wealth levels and the hugely grown income inequality.

The rest of the world understands and is starting to come to terms with it out of necessity. The US will be the last to accept reality and hence attempt to destroy their own country by allowing greed to stop progressive change.

In your country, the masses have cell phones, plasma screens and Uber accounts.  The reason that your country leads others in providing material wealth to middle and lower income people is that its relatively free economy encourages innovation and mass marketing.  It encourages that by allowing the innovators and risk takers to pursue wealth and keep some of the wealth they create.

Can you tell me why inequality in a system like that would bother you?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Bernie Sanders says social security is a very successful program that
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy