Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Duluth School District Bans Two Classic Novels
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Duluth School District Bans Two Classic Novels (Read 80 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Duluth School District Bans Two Classic Novels
Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
A Minnesota school district is dropping two classic novels, “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” from its required reading list because of the books’ liberal use of the "N' word.

Stephan Witherspoon, the president of NAACP’s local chapter, said he welcomed the decision. He called the novels “hurtful” that “use hurtful language that has oppressed the people for over 200 years.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2018/02/07/a-school-district-dr...

I think it's political correctness pushed too far.  What's next?  Public book burnings?

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Duluth School District Bans Two Classic Novels
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
A Minnesota school district is dropping two classic novels, “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” from its required reading list because of the books’ liberal use of the "N' word.

Stephan Witherspoon, the president of NAACP’s local chapter, said he welcomed the decision. He called the novels “hurtful” that “use hurtful language that has oppressed the people for over 200 years.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2018/02/07/a-school-district-dr...

I think it's political correctness pushed too far.  What's next?  Public book burnings?

I doubt if Mr. Whitherspoon knows anything about either of those books except that they have the n-word in them.  Huck Finn was at least a hundred years ahead of its time in presenting the humanity of blacks.  Mockingbird was not as great a novel, but it certainly advocated for justice for blacks at a time when it wasn't popular to do that. 

How many of the students whose virgin ears Mr. Witherspoon is so concerned about ride the bus to school with rap music playing on their phones?

This is a great example of why education needs to be privatized.  Given a free market choice, I'd much rather send my kids to a school where they learn about history rather than being protected from it. 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

thermf5

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
I doubt if Mr. Whitherspoon knows anything about either of those books except that they have the n-word in them.  Huck Finn was at least a hundred years ahead of its time in presenting the humanity of blacks.  Mockingbird was not as great a novel, but it certainly advocated for justice for blacks at a time when it wasn't popular to do that. 

How many of the students whose virgin ears Mr. Witherspoon is so concerned about ride the bus to school with rap music playing on their phones?

This is a great example of why education needs to be privatized.  Given a free market choice, I'd much rather send my kids to a school where they learn about history rather than being protected from it. 

not educatiopn need to be done by the self not a teacher baned books is wroung but locko parents is so to where the school ats as a parent i would home school my kids i dont think privet schools are the ancer school should be a place of learning not a institution

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I wouldn't complain about this. It's likely to backfire.

When children learn the books have been banned, they'll want to read them, and they'll do it with interest and gusto rather than the plodding apathy of someone being forced to read a book.

They'll have to ban them from the library, too, if they want this not to backfire.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 12:15pm:

Think of it as a backlash against Trump's push for racism to become mainstream. Instead of in the closets of the south because the racists don't yet have the confidence in themselves to voice it in public. They're getting bolder with Trump's lead. The KKK and the neo-Nazis are getting bolder.

The banning of those books is action to fight against Trump's lead so you could think of it as affirmative action.

People in other countries know that what you said about Huck Finn being far ahead of it's time is in fact true, and so they won't be taking any such action to ban those books.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
Think of it as a backlash against Trump's push for racism to become mainstream. Instead of in the closets of the south because the racists don't yet have the confidence in themselves to voice it in public. They're getting bolder with Trump's lead. The KKK and the neo-Nazis are getting bolder.

The banning of those books is action to fight against Trump's lead so you could think of it as affirmative action.

They fight racism by banning two books that fight racism.

Brilliant.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 9:46am:
They fight racism by banning two books that fight racism.

Brilliant.

You didn't understand my comments. In simpler words, any racism issues that are arising now began with resentment of Obama and then Trump being able to capitalize on those feelings.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:44pm:
You didn't understand my comments. In simpler words, any racism issues that are arising now began with resentment of Obama and then Trump being able to capitalize on those feelings.

Yes, I know you want to keep saying that in every thread, but it is especially out of place here since banning Huck Finn and TKAM was happening well before either of those people were president.

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:43pm:
Yes, I know you want to keep saying that in every thread, but it is especially out of place here since banning Huck Finn and TKAM was happening well before either of those people were president.

Read carefully and you'll find the word 'now' in my comment.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 11th, 2018 at 2:46pm:
Read carefully and you'll find the word 'now' in my comment.

So to what do you attribute the racism of the past and the stupidity of banning Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird as a means of fighting it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Duluth School District Bans Two Classic Novels
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy