Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is persuasion a better alternative to coercion?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why is persuasion a better alternative to coercion? (Read 757 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: Why is persuasion a better alternative to coercion?
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 12th, 2018 at 8:39am:
Morally, you don't use force to persuade someone.

Practically, if you can convince someone to agree with your policy they will have buy in and help make it work.

Yes, exactly why without any context, the question was too ambiguous to answer.

I think there are two keys.   Buy in is one.  The other is whether you're stopping aggression.  You don't ask for buy in for one person to not rob another, you use coercion.  You will go to jail.  Unless you're a politician, then it's OK

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Feb 10th, 2018 at 2:41pm:
I read this in an essay once but I wasn't able to grasp why persuasion was the "stronger" of the two.

Persuasion is stronger than coercion because the person being persuaded has the satisfaction of thinking that it is his/her own free-will that prevails.  Therefore, the person is more likely to hold the idea longer. 

When a person is coerced, there is usually resentment and anger - the person will usually fight or resist the ideas of the coercer.

Example:  Religion. 

When a person is persuaded into religion, chances are the person will stay true to that religion.

When a person is coerced into religion (I was as a child), he/she will reject the ideas of that religion. (I certainly do!)

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
Persuasion is stronger than coercion because the person being persuaded has the satisfaction of thinking that it is his/her own free-will that prevails.  Therefore, the person is more likely to hold the idea longer. 

When a person is coerced, there is usually resentment and anger - the person will usually fight or resist the ideas of the coercer.

Example:  Religion. 

When a person is persuaded into religion, chances are the person will stay true to that religion.

When a person is coerced into religion (I was as a child), he/she will reject the ideas of that religion. (I certainly do!)

You've got the talking points down pat chief. Now tell burnsred how that applies to Michelle Obama's initiative to introduce healthy meals into the school system. Tell him that persuasion takes time and caring while coercion is equivalten to forcing them to accept it right now!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
duplicate.   sorry.   :-[

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:20pm by SkyChief »  

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
You've got the talking points down pat chief.

thanks.  Smiley 

All I ever asked of government is to GTFOOMW. [Get The Fu_k Out Of My Way]

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I read this in an essay once but I wasn't able to grasp why persuasion was the "stronger" of the two.
Libertarians would generally answer this by saying that coercion is wrong.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:34am:

Of course they would, because they don't think their philosophy is better. I, on the other hand, actually believe it is.

On the face of it, persuasion is obviously not a better alternative. If you want X, and we're going to assume you get your way anyways, persuasion wastes time and energy. If you do not get your way anyways, then obviously persuasion is not a "better" alternative.

Let me qualify that I am not speaking from morality. Morally, force is wrong, making persuasion the only morally acceptable way of getting what you want. However, it is obviously not better from a practical standpoint.

...Until you look at these mice. Watch these mice, and you will be able to explain why persuasion is, practically speaking, better.

What are they doing wrong? It's easy to see.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
You've got the talking points down pat chief. Now tell burnsred how that applies to Michelle Obama's initiative to introduce healthy meals into the school system. Tell him that persuasion takes time and caring while coercion is equivalten to forcing them to accept it right now!

Persuasion is only used when people have a choice and you want them to choose a over b.  Michelle's school lunch plan was mandatory.  Mandatory for the schools to serve them and mandatory for the kids to take them.  Palatable food was taken out of the equation, leaving kids the option of eating health food with the flavor of sawdust or eating nothing.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Billie wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:34am:

But, unfortunately, many of them don't believe that themselves. 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:58pm:
But, unfortunately, many of them don't believe that themselves. 

Well, like any moral philosophers, they do believe it's wrong.

The issue is, they construct right and wrong in such a way that it brings them the greatest personal advantage.

The welfare queen wants more redistribution because fairness is what's right, and the rich man demands that government protect his vast holdings for free because taxes are theft.

In the wild, neither of these people would get what they wanted. They know that, so they make what they want into right, in that others now have a moral obligation that it is done.

Unfortunately, since each is merely constructing right and wrong so it benefits themself the most, people aren't going to be able to agree on right and wrong.

Thus we have politics, which is a lot like what those mice are doing.

The mice are proving why theft is wrong, but they may also be saying something against the tug-of-war that occurs between self-interested parties when they insist on their morality and fight over something innocent and pink that has no say in the matter.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why is persuasion a better alternative to coercion?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy