Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Government Sucks at Helping the Poor
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Why Government Sucks at Helping the Poor (Read 185 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Why Government Sucks at Helping the Poor
Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Natural selection.

Government is great at helping the politically connected rich.  They always make out with government programs designed to enrich them further.  But the poor never seem to be helped by programs purported to give them a way out of their poverty. 

The wealthy are almost by definition very good at furthering their own financial interests.  The poor almost by definition are very bad at that.  So the rich will only support politicians who promise and deliver programs that help them.  The poor consistently support politicians who only promise to help them.  A politician that reneges on promises to help the rich will be defeated in the next election.  Politicians who renege on promises to help the poor keep them loyal by appealing to the same irrationality that made them into poor people in the first place.

Those who claim to advocate for the poor will blame racism, sexism, anti-immigrant-ism and "all kinds of isms." for the failure of their programs.  The poor will follow emotions rather than logic in believing them.

Government anti-poverty programs are doomed to failure because those implementing them have a vested interest in keeping as many citizens in poverty as possible so they have a target audience to which to sell their next anti-poverty initiative.  Because nature selects the less savvy to be the less successful, that audience will always be receptive and credulous.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: Why Government Sucks at Helping the Poor
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Government anti-poverty programs are doomed to failure because those implementing them have a vested interest in keeping as many citizens in poverty as possible so they have a target audience to which to sell their next anti-poverty initiative.

Bingo, that's it exactly.

The programs are designed to fail, and for that reason.

Don thinks he's benefiting because he gets more money for cigarettes and ding dongs, but he's still poor so he voted for the next Democrat scheme too

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Natural selection.

Government is great at helping the politically connected rich.  They always make out with government programs designed to enrich them further.  But the poor never seem to be helped by programs purported to give them a way out of their poverty. 

The wealthy are almost by definition very good at furthering their own financial interests.  The poor almost by definition are very bad at that.  So the rich will only support politicians who promise and deliver programs that help them.  The poor consistently support politicians who only promise to help them.  A politician that reneges on promises to help the rich will be defeated in the next election.  Politicians who renege on promises to help the poor keep them loyal by appealing to the same irrationality that made them into poor people in the first place.

Those who claim to advocate for the poor will blame racism, sexism, anti-immigrant-ism and "all kinds of isms." for the failure of their programs.  The poor will follow emotions rather than logic in believing them.

Government anti-poverty programs are doomed to failure because those implementing them have a vested interest in keeping as many citizens in poverty as possible so they have a target audience to which to sell their next anti-poverty initiative.  Because nature selects the less savvy to be the less successful, that audience will always be receptive and credulous.

It's true in the US for sure but blaming government elected by the people is just transferring the blame of of YOU the people.

Both of your threads on the same subject tell me you are stinging from hearing the truth yesterday.

Do you really expect anyone who has become familiar with your disposition and your priorities, to believe that you care for helping the poor?

As I've told you on your other thread, you're totally interested in setting up poor people for failure.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Do you really expect anyone who has become familiar with your disposition and your priorities, to believe that you care for helping the poor?

Wow, that's an excellent question to you.  You've never indicated in any way you give a shit about anyone but yourself. 

I'm a capitalist.  Fewer poor means less government handouts living on my taxes and more customers for my business.  Win win.

You support a system which traps them in poverty and dependency.

The last thing you want is a poor person to stop being poor.  The richer they get, the less likely they vote for your dependency pedalers

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
So you see again on this thread burnsred, how the pig tells you that you're just promoting more of the same failure.

Quote:
Bingo, that's it exactly.

The programs are designed to fail, and for that reason.

Don thinks he's benefiting because he gets more money for cigarettes and ding dongs, but he's still poor so he voted for the next Democrat scheme too.

But then it has to fly off in a rage of hate and accuse me of needing drug, etc. money.

This should be telling you that you don't campaign for social responsibility on a libertarian forum. The libertarians are just going to be like the pig.

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Natural selection.

This is why a few libertarian types advocate a guaranteed income or negative income tax as a replacement for current programs.  It cuts out most of the bureaucrats.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:05pm:
This is why a few libertarian types advocate a guaranteed income or negative income tax as a replacement for current programs.  It cuts out most of the bureaucrats. 

That statement by burnsred is obviously over the top and pretty far out of character for you to be supporting. Look at it!

Quote:
Natural selection.

The same old government programs are surely doomed to failure but obviously that's not being done purposely. Neither the Dems or the Repubs in the real world want to encourage and promote poverty and you know that.

Don't start lowering yourself to the level of the rest of and assholes on this forum who are finding they can't defend their positions with rational arguments.

The obvious truth is that people who feel no social responsibility to bring about change, have no notion on how to go about doing it.

Burnsred's motive on these two threads he's started is to promote mockery of the situation and to promote more failure. It's completely out of character for him to start posing as a person who feels social responsibility toward the poor now. He's only ever expressed hate and derision over the notion that they're lazy and all own $800 smart phones.

Where are you on this topic? Has my valid criticisms driven you to the point at which you're ready to compromise yourself? Which is the real you ahhell?

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 1:05pm:

I like the idea of limiting bureaucracy.  Unfortunately, it would take a really large monthly check to make sure that the children of the poor are taken care of.  If they don't care enough about their kids to get a job in construction like illegal aliens do, why are they going to suddenly start caring if we give them say $2,000 a month free money?  We'd have to give them like $10,000 a month so that food money would be chump change.  Or else we'd have to monitor that they spend it on their kids, in which case we lose the benefit of less bureaucracy.

With my idea of dormitory style housing, such people would be supervised to make sure that they take care of their children, contribute labor to the maintenance of the buildings and look for work. 

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:05pm by SnarkySack »  

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So you see again on this thread burnsred, how the pig tells you that you're just promoting more of the same failure.

But then it has to fly off in a rage of hate and accuse me of needing drug, etc. money.

This should be telling you that you don't campaign for social responsibility on a libertarian forum. The libertarians are just going to be like the pig.

You're the one on message boards all day shilling for handouts.  You tell me why you want them then.  Is it the drugs you mentioned?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:54pm:
I like the idea of limiting bureaucracy.  Unfortunately, it would take a really large monthly check to make sure that the children of the poor are taken care of.  If they don't care enough about their kids to get a job in construction like illegal aliens do, why are they going to suddenly start caring if we give them say $2,000 a month free money?  We'd have to give them like $10,000 a month so that food money would be chump change.  Or else we'd have to monitor that they spend it on their kids, in which case we lose the benefit of less bureaucracy.

With my idea of dormitory style housing, such people would be supervised to make sure that they take care of their children, contribute labor to the maintenance of the buildings and look for work. 

Why would anybody believe you're sincere about helping the poor when you've done nothing but condemn them for months.

This new you is a reaction to something I said about your callousness and extremist remarks. One thing you have demonstrated you do have, is a need to pretend you care.

Same as the Norway prison system, you pretended to commend them but it was always obvious that you didn't. You had to try to make mockery of it by repeatedly saying you supported a judge deciding if a serial killer was rahabbed or not. While knowing all along it is more than just about serial killers.

I'm claiming the high road burnsred, because I've always stayed on the high road.

You can redeem yourself but it doesn't happen overnight.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Why Government Sucks at Helping the Poor
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy