Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another CRAZY Idea: Feed the Poor by Giving them Food
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Another CRAZY Idea: Feed the Poor by Giving them Food (Read 293 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Another CRAZY Idea: Feed the Poor by Giving them Food
Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
"USDA America's Harvest Box is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is homegrown by American farmers and producers," said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement. "It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers."

Part of the president's fiscal 2019 budget blueprint, the idea immediately sparked concerns and questions among consumer advocates and food retailers. They feared it would upend a much-needed benefit for more than 80% of those in the program.

Here's how it would work:

Instead of receiving all their food stamp funds, households would get a box of food that the government describes as nutritious and 100% grown and produced in the U.S. The so-called USDA America's Harvest Box would contain items such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient's monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.

No one should object to this who cares about feeding the poor.  How could it be bad of at least half of the money intended for food actually goes to food?  The other half can still be spent on the Dr. Pepper and Ho-hos that the food retailer are concerned about selling.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Another CRAZY Idea: Feed the Poor by Giving them Food
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:56am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:32am:
"USDA America's Harvest Box is a bold, innovative approach to providing nutritious food to people who need assistance feeding themselves and their families -- and all of it is homegrown by American farmers and producers," said Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue in a statement. "It maintains the same level of food value as SNAP [Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program] participants currently receive, provides states flexibility in administering the program, and is responsible to the taxpayers."

Part of the president's fiscal 2019 budget blueprint, the idea immediately sparked concerns and questions among consumer advocates and food retailers. They feared it would upend a much-needed benefit for more than 80% of those in the program.

Here's how it would work:

Instead of receiving all their food stamp funds, households would get a box of food that the government describes as nutritious and 100% grown and produced in the U.S. The so-called USDA America's Harvest Box would contain items such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient's monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.

No one should object to this who cares about feeding the poor.  How could it be bad of at least half of the money intended for food actually goes to food?  The other half can still be spent on the Dr. Pepper and Ho-hos that the food retailer are concerned about selling.

Lots of people would object and the reason is as you have already stated how it doesn't work in the schools.

You don't help people by setting them up for failure. That just guarantees failure and results in more of 'your' money needed to be taken from you in taxes.

Socially responsible people invent programs that have a chance of working and are patient enough to wait for results. They actively work toward achieving results.

You don't want success. All you're really doing is trying to promote more hate toward the poor people in your country. You only want to see social programs fail so you can say, 'see I told you'.

You and so many more Americans will get your wish. You're not ready to change your bad attitudes yet. Your sucking up to Trump is proof of that.

Wouldn't you like to throw rolls of paper towels at poor people? How about loaves of bread to make it more satisfying?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:56am:
You don't want success. All you're really doing is trying to promote more hate toward the poor people in your country

Giving the poor free food is hating them.  What a dumb ass.

[note to self, insert troll video here]

Hating the poor is how your country has wasted trillions on a war on poverty that hasn't worked and all you want to do is keep repeating the failure

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Burnsred, the pig has made my point for me in a way that should have more impact on you than anything I could have said. It has unconsciously stumbled on the exact truth about 'our' country.

Quote:
Hating the poor is how your country has wasted trillions on a war on poverty that hasn't worked and all you want to do is keep repeating the failure.

The pig is telling you that billions have been wasted and it hasn't worked. And you want to keep repeating the failure!

I couldn't have said it better myself! The pig is telling you that you're promoting more failure instead of socially responsible programs that can lead to success.   Embarrassed

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:56am:
Lots of people would object and the reason is as you have already stated how it doesn't work in the schools.
But you think that it does work in schools, so you should support this idea also, right?

Actually, this is different for this reason:  With mandatory school for eight hours per day, students are forced into a location at gunpoint and must eat only what they are provided.  Many school districts actually forbid students' bringing their own lunch because that promotes inequality or some such. 

With the box o' food plan people still have the freedom to spend half of their food stamp money on chips and salsa but half goes to healthy food.  Half isn't too much, is it?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 2:32pm:
But you think that it does work in schools, so you should support this idea also, right?

I think it would have worked in the schools the same as it worked for my children when they were school age. And I'm going to be generous and say that you know how it works for your own children. It would have only taken some caring and some consistent friendly persuasion.

The fact is, it was the right thing to do and if the rabid right could have beared to get with it, together the right and left could have succeeded.

Knowing it is right to persuade school kids to eat an apple instead of a drinking a coke, how would you have done it better. I'm asking you because you seem to now care, so I'm asking the new you. Stick with it burnsred. If you're still reformed in a week's time we'll have some serious discussions!

Quote:
]Actually, this is different for this reason:  With mandatory school for eight hours per day, students are forced into a location at gunpoint and must eat only what they are provided.  Many school districts actually forbid students' bringing their own lunch because that promotes inequality or some such.

gunpoint. 

Quote:
With the box o' food plan people still have the freedom to spend half of their food stamp money on chips and salsa but half goes to healthy food.  Half isn't too much, is it?

I'm interested in only serious discussion with you. For frivilous shit I can make fun of the pig.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 6:15pm:
I think it would have worked in the schools the same as it worked for my children when they were school age. And I'm going to be generous and say that you know how it works for your own children. It would have only taken some caring and some consistent friendly persuasion.

The fact is, it was the right thing to do and if the rabid right could have beared to get with it, together the right and left could have succeeded.

Knowing it is right to persuade school kids to eat an apple instead of a drinking a coke, how would you have done it better. I'm asking you because you seem to now care, so I'm asking the new you. Stick with it burnsred. If you're still reformed in a week's time we'll have some serious discussions!

gunpoint. 

I'm interested in only serious discussion with you. For frivilous shit I can make fun of the pig.

Persuade is the word to focus on.  Certainly an apple is more healthy than a coke and a whole grain imitation donut more healthy than a piece of chocolate cake.  But only if the child eats the apple or the fake donut.  What I have seen is that they overwhelmingly reject them.  Many of them must be forced to go through the line at all and they pick at their food instead of filling up with the calories that they need to be ready for a morning of learning after breakfast and an afternoon of learning after lunch.

My field is educational psychology, so I can tell you that the most basic understanding of Maslow's heirarchy is that a hungry kid won't learn. 

Students are required to be at school for seven to eight hours and are barred from other sources of food.  That is force, not persuasion.   No surprise that they rebel and wait until they get home to eat the sugary snacks welfare parents usually buy with food stamps.

If none of that persuades you, Don, consider this which should be a wake up call to you:  The food that is grown, processed and delivered only to be thrown into trash cans and put into landfills contributes unnecessarily to your country's carbon footprint. 

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:04pm:
Persuade is the word to focus on.  Certainly an apple is more healthy than a coke and a whole grain imitation donut more healthy than a piece of chocolate cake.  But only if the child eats the apple or the fake donut.  What I have seen is that they overwhelmingly reject them.  Many of them must be forced to go through the line at all and they pick at their food instead of filling up with the calories that they need to be ready for a morning of learning after breakfast and an afternoon of learning after lunch.

My field is educational psychology, so I can tell you that the most basic understanding of Maslow's heirarchy is that a hungry kid won't learn. 

Students are required to be at school for seven to eight hours and are barred from other sources of food.  That is force, not persuasion.   No surprise that they rebel and wait until they get home to eat the sugary snacks welfare parents usually buy with food stamps.

If none of that persuades you, Don, consider this which should be a wake up call to you:  The food that is grown, processed and delivered only to be thrown into trash cans and put into landfills contributes unnecessarily to your country's carbon footprint. 

So you need to find a way to entice those kids into eating healthy food. That's not your schtick mr. child psychologist, your schtick is in devising ways to force people to conform to your extreme rightist demands.

Stop trying to convince me you care, because you don't and you never have, as evidence by your demeanour over months of posting on this forum.

Be still!

I'll gradually introduce ways to demonstrate real caring to you and the pseudo-libertarian lowlife on this board.

Your country has no ideas. My country does. You have to want to learn.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 8:38am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:32am:
[b]
No one should object to this who cares about feeding the poor.
Why not suggest something that will work to reduce the number of poor people, then let charities feed those who truly can't feed themselves?

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Don_G wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:17pm:
So you need to find a way to entice those kids into eating healthy food.

I already know how to do that.  Doesn't take a genius to make healthy food that kids will actually eat.  The problem is that the federal government will never admit it made a mistake in the first place and correct it.  The reason the cafeteria ladies are trained to order to kids to take "one vegetable and one fruit" is so that on the reports they can claim that kids are eating just as much as they used to when the food actually tasted good. 

There is rarely any way for the regulated to provide feedback to the regulators.  Where there is, the feedback is often sabotaged, spammed or completely ignored.  The federal government might think about changing its no-taste school lunch policy if the states complained enough.  But those are governments also, so they don't really care whether the kids eat the food or not.  They just want the records show compliance.  Now that they have changed their menus to MichelleMeals, why make the effort to change back to good food?

Quote:
Your country has no ideas. My country does. You have to want to learn.

So, you're Canadian again?  Well, more power to you.  That's the beauty of the internet, anyone can be anything.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Another CRAZY Idea: Feed the Poor by Giving them Food
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy