Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What does it take to bring the LP to the national stage?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What does it take to bring the LP to the national stage? (Read 325 times)
DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

What does it take to bring the LP to the national stage?
Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
If you look at search and viewership trends, the Libertarian Party consistently gets lesser attention than both of the two major parties. It's obvious why the LP performed how it did in 2016, and how it has since then. In this day in age, in a two-party system, what would it take for the Libertarian Party to be brought into the discussion; for libertarians to be brought onto panels to represent libertarian views, for Richard Fields, Nicholas Sarwark, Larry Sharpe or Gary Johnson to frequently be called upon and interviewed regarding political situations?

IP Logged

Don_G
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: What does it take to bring the LP to the national stage?
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:54pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 11:17pm:
If you look at search and viewership trends, the Libertarian Party consistently gets lesser attention than both of the two major parties. It's obvious why the LP performed how it did in 2016, and how it has since then. In this day in age, in a two-party system, what would it take for the Libertarian Party to be brought into the discussion; for libertarians to be brought onto panels to represent libertarian views, for Richard Fields, Nicholas Sarwark, Larry Sharpe or Gary Johnson to frequently be called upon and interviewed regarding political situations?

I've said what it will take dozens of times but I don't mind telling you pseudo-libertarians again. Let me know.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  

What it took for me was to finally actually recognize and admit that voting for either of the two major parties is irrelevant because they really do in the end the same thing.  Republicans spend like Democrats, Democrats use the military like Republicans and neither wants to actually secure our borders.  Republicans for all their lies could do that now, and they don't

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
They have to figure out that the primary role of a political party is to gain and hold power and that advancing an agenda is a secondary goal.

To that end, they have compromise enough on their agenda to attract a large enough portion of voters to get elected to a major offices.  Unfortunately, most voters want a government powerful enough to give them everything they want. 

The collapse of the GOP will also help.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:41am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 9:34am:
They have to figure out that the primary role of a political party is to gain and hold power and that advancing an agenda is a secondary goal.

To that end, they have compromise enough on their agenda to attract a large enough portion of voters to get elected to a major offices.  Unfortunately, most voters want a government powerful enough to give them everything they want. 

The collapse of the GOP will also help.

Good points.  The problem with adjusting the ideology is that it would be the Libertarian Party, but its beliefs would not be libertarian.  Constitutionalist to some degree, but still supporting government interventionism but with state governments having more responsibility for domestic intervention.

The GOP's base is ripe for takeover by the LP, if the GOP continues its weak-kneed approach to conservatism.  The only reason Trump won is that the Dems ran the only candidate that could lose to him because it was "her turn."

The only way a libertarian-leaning LP could get any traction in the next few years would be for it to have its own already-famous candidate with enough money to self-finance and enough media savvy to defeat the Democrat noise machine on the airwaves. 

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
...what would it take for the Libertarian Party to be brought into the discussion; for libertarians to be brought onto panels to represent libertarian views, for Richard Fields, Nicholas Sarwark, Larry Sharpe or Gary Johnson to frequently be called upon and interviewed regarding political situations?

First we have to realize that many people marginalize libertarians because of the people the LP choses to represent us.  Like this goofy-ass clown:   

WTF were they thinking? They wanted us to consider this guy to be POTUS?   Seriously?  Can you imagine what an embarrassment this guy would be around foreign dignitaries?  It would be more awkward than Obama - if that's even possible.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
+1, Skychief.

I voted for Gary, but I couldn't really use him to point to anyone to convince them that Gary was worth voting for

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
I think Gary has been smoking to much pot since he was the governor of New Mexico, how the hell would he have gotten elected to governor if he acted that way?

IP Logged

Don_G

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 10:41am:
The only way a libertarian-leaning LP could get any traction in the next few years would be for it to have its own already-famous candidate with enough money to self-finance and enough media savvy to defeat the Democrat noise machine on the airwaves. 

A good candidate is the key, but does one exist? He/she would have to be handsome or  beautiful because that's one thing that can't be missing. It's probably the biggest negative that killed Hillary.

Then to find that attractive person who was in agreement with the libertarian agenda. And the big problem with that is, 'which libertarian agenda'?

Supposedly one who believes in 'smaller government' with no explanation of how that could be, and getting rid of income tax?

Antiwar? antiwar.com, which is probably the biggest and best rep for the LP is divided down the middle on being antiwar. Raimondo has gone batshit crazy over his support for Trump and his followers are mocking him in his comments.

This divisiveness must be stopped soon if the LP wants to come together as a force to be reckoned with. I don't see the LP being able to steal support from either the Dems or the Rebubs right now.

As I said, I will get into the positive side if I'm asked.

IP Logged

Billie

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
I think Gary has been smoking to much pot since he was the governor of New Mexico, how the hell would he have gotten elected to governor if he acted that way? [/quote]He was a good governor from a libertarian standpoint. The people of New Mexico obviously looked at what he was saying and what he did (they re-elected him) and overlooked his tendency to look and act goofy.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/09/gary-johnson-libertarian-president-new-mexico...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What does it take to bring the LP to the national stage?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy