Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again (Read 742 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Deputy Scot Peterson, of the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, was armed and stationed on the school’s campus when a suspect identified by authorities as Nikolas Cruz opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, leaving 17 people dead and others wounded.

Peterson resigned Thursday after video surveillance showed he never entered the school, even though he "clearly" knew there was a shooting taking place, officials said. The revelation prompted widespread outrage.

The deputy “was seeking cover behind a concrete column leading to a stairwell,” Officer Tim Burton of the Coral Springs Police Department, who responded to the shooting, told the New York Times.

The Times also reported that in February 2016, the sheriff’s office received “thirdhand information” about Cruz planning “to shoot up the school.” The information -- which said Cruz had knives and a BB gun -- was forwarded to Peterson, who was working at the school back then.

When a WSVN-TV reporter tried to approach Peterson's Boynton Beach home for an interview Thursday, he said he encountered a contingent of six police officers standing guard.

"They prevented us from approaching the house," WSVN-TV's Frank Guzman tweeted.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/23/police-officers-guard-home-deputy-assigned-...

Oh, yeah!  Six deputies to guard one of their fellows against questions from journalists.  They are so brave when it comes to preventing first amendment activities, but real criminals they want no part of.

NO doubt Deputy Peterson was the scourge of fifteen year olds who bring nail clippers to school.  I'm sure he monitored them closely for use of one of the seven dirty words.  No doubt he's often demanded that innocent people give up their rights "for my safety."  But in a real crises, he was useless.

These are the  kind of people we give half our income to and to whom some of us would surrender our right to self-defense?

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Re: The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 8:46am:
[b][i]Deputy Scot Peterson, of the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, was armed and stationed on the school’s campus when a suspect identified by authorities as Nikolas Cruz opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, leaving 17 people dead and others wounded...

Wow, just wow.  He was there hiding for 4 of the 6 minute shooting.

And sadly, this won't make the left blink for a second at the stupidity of saying that their plan is to keep 300 million guns with no southern border away from shooters

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:42am:
Yes, how much better things would have been if the Home Ec teacher would have stepped out and double tapped him in the neck and face, just as the Black Studies teacher shot him through the heart from the back.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 9:42am:

And sadly, this won't make the left blink for a second at the stupidity of saying that their plan is to keep 300 million guns with no southern border away from shooters

Why, that's what you do when somebody has an AR type weapon and you have a little handgun. Either that or you're stupid and then a 'dead' stupid.

Which proves that cops in schools aren't going to do any good. It's just another safe gun free zone turned into a gun zone.

Escalation of the problem is what is now required. Arm the school security guard with an AR type weapon or even the military version that will fire fully automatic. Then that escalation will ensure that the future shooters get themselves something even better. Or more likely hunt down the security cop and kill him first.

Escalation of the problem is wot is gud cause guns are things that jesus brings!

This big antigun fuss is sure taking a long time to die down. Those kids must think they can change things. In practice, demonstrations like that cause a positive reaction from the NRA and more AR weapons are sold for a few weeks following the shoot up.

troll post?
Smiley post?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:30pm:
Why, that's what you do when somebody has an AR type weapon and you have a little handgun. Either that or you're stupid and then a 'dead' stupid.

Which proves that cops in schools aren't going to do any good. It's just another safe gun free zone turned into a gun zone.

Escalation of the problem is what is now required. Arm the school security guard with an AR type weapon or even the military version that will fire fully automatic. Then that escalation will ensure that the future shooters get themselves something even better. Or more likely hunt down the security cop and kill him first.

Escalation of the problem is wot is gud cause guns are things that jesus brings!

This big antigun fuss is sure taking a long time to die down. Those kids must think they can change things. In practice, demonstrations like that cause a positive reaction from the NRA and more AR weapons are sold for a few weeks following the shoot up.

troll post?
Smiley post?

This is leftist dogma, not trolling.  As Michael Jordon said when he swatted a layup drive into the eighth row, get that shit out of here.

What a pathetic troll you're turning out to be. I was led to believe you applied for the job as site troll as an expert in your field.

You need to step it up, soldier

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:35pm:
This is leftist dogma, not trolling.  As Michael Jordon said when he swatted a layup drive into the eighth row, get that shit out of here.

What a pathetic troll you're turning out to be. I was led to believe you applied for the job as site troll as an expert in your field.

You need to step it up, soldier

Pig, the troll accusation has become a catch-all for anything the accuser doesn't agree with. I think it's more accurately, an accusation of the troller trying to elicit a response from the others for the fun of it. You might want to expalain.

If you do then I will know what it means to you and I'll be able to do it 'less'.

Keeping in mind that I could be conning you and would like to know what it means to you so I can do it 'more'. But then pig, I would never do that!

right?

Pig really, I don't care one way or the other. This is a diversion when there's nothing else to rag on you assholes!

You really got your ass kicked bad didn't you. Rather than accept the blame you've turned into a bitter and hateful bastard. So much so that you wear it on your sleeve and that makes you the perfect target for us trolls, whatever?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
What's the alternative? You want him to shoot a kid?

He does that, and his life is over. He'd be better off dead.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:30am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:35pm:

I'd like to assume that a Sheriff's Deputy has training with his weapon and at least some minimal training regarding how to respond to an incident like this.

Asking teachers with concealed carry permits to bring their guns to school and having them at least think about how to deal with a possible shooter would probably work better. Talking to the students about how they should try to react in such situations might help too.

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 7:51pm:
Pig, the troll accusation has become a catch-all for anything the accuser doesn't agree with

Bull.  Your troll video requests are regularly denied.  Now stop whining and earn your keep as the site troll.  How can this be a first rate site without a first rate troll?  It's like a village without a quality idiot.  Are you slacking off in that job in your home town in New Jersey as well?

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:05am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:35pm:

That's what I meant about you posting substantive posts even when I disagree.  Well done!

Yes, I thought about that aspect as I posted this thread.  Deputy Peterson was in a no-win situation being expected to face an AR15 with his service nine millimeter Glock or what ever.  But he is almost in that situation (life over, better off dead) now because he did not shoot a kid.   I doubt he was trained to rush into a live shooter situation on his own.  Calling for backup is standard procedure, isn't it? 

My post was about the uselessness of government, moreso than the uselessness of Deputy Peterson, even though it came out that way.  But here's the thing:  School Resource officers are paid a lot of money to essentially stand around.  They may make some token effort at outreach but primarily they play on their phones and talk.  When that is their regular duty, it is much more cush than writing tickets all day.  When it's off-duty, they are making very good pay for guys with sixty hours from a  community college. 

For that compensation, they are expected to be there when something happens.  He could have gone in and tried to de-escalate the situation and/or looked for a shot that would end theh situation.  Yes, his "life would be over" if he accidentally shot the wrong kid.  But seventeen people's lives are over with no need for quotes.

I guess my main point is that we should secure schools at least as strongly as we secure federal buildings.  That means the same as securing the border does:  physical barriers and real checks on people coming in.  Not more money for sensitivity training or whatever.

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy