Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again (Read 902 times)
kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:05am:
That's what I meant about you posting substantive posts even when I disagree.  Well done!

Yes, I thought about that aspect as I posted this thread.  Deputy Peterson was in a no-win situation being expected to face an AR15 with his service nine millimeter Glock or what ever.  But he is almost in that situation (life over, better off dead) now because he did not shoot a kid.   I doubt he was trained to rush into a live shooter situation on his own.  Calling for backup is standard procedure, isn't it? 

No, not with an active shooter.  And the Sheriff said that, he should have gone in and engaged the shooter.

Also, there was one armed guard.  Obviously his job was not to phone in an incident and do nothing.  You wouldn't even need an armed guard to do that

My post was about the uselessness of government, moreso than the uselessness of Deputy Peterson, even though it came out that way.  But here's the thing:  School Resource officers are paid a lot of money to essentially stand around.  They may make some token effort at outreach but primarily they play on their phones and talk.  When that is their regular duty, it is much more cush than writing tickets all day.  When it's off-duty, they are making very good pay for guys with sixty hours from a  community college. 

For that compensation, they are expected to be there when something happens.  He could have gone in and tried to de-escalate the situation and/or looked for a shot that would end theh situation.  Yes, his "life would be over" if he accidentally shot the wrong kid.  But seventeen people's lives are over with no need for quotes.

I guess my main point is that we should secure schools at least as strongly as we secure federal buildings.  That means the same as securing the border does:  physical barriers and real checks on people coming in.  Not more money for sensitivity training or whatever.

Allowing the teachers who care enough to get the training and a CC permit would be a whole lot cheaper

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:19am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Feb 23rd, 2018 at 11:35pm:
What's the alternative? You want him to shoot a kid?

He does that, and his life is over. He'd be better off dead.

You have a point on that Democrats and the leftist media would eviscerate him no matter how many lives he saved.

But even if he didn't have a clean shot, shooting into the ceiling above his head would have slowed him down and saved lives.  He was freely shooting, trusting no one was shooting back

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:51am
Print Post  
kaz wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:17am:
No, not with an active shooter.  And the Sheriff said that, he should have gone in and engaged the shooter.

Also, there was one armed guard.  Obviously his job was not to phone in an incident and do nothing.  You wouldn't even need an armed guard to do that

Allowing the teachers who care enough to get the training and a CC permit would be a whole lot cheaper

But would accomplish nothing.   Trump's idea that shooters will avoid schools if teachers are armed is laughable.  The most recent incident is one of very few in which the shooter did not die.  These attacks are basically suicides except the shooter wants to go out in "a blaze of glory."  They won't be deterred by armed teachers anymore than they were deterred by Peterson. 

The knee-jerk reactions on both sides, "less guns!"  "more guns!" will do nothing but prevent a real solution.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:51am:
But would accomplish nothing.   Trump's idea that shooters will avoid schools if teachers are armed is laughable.

Yeah, 10 or 20 armed people in the school without the shooter knowing which ones?  What are they going to do.  Shoot him or something?

Um ... yeah!  What a stupid comment.  You constantly make these sweeping statements and as here completely fail to back them up with even an argument

[quote author=293E392538392E2F4B0 link=1519393578/12#12 date=1519483863]The most recent incident is one of very few in which the shooter did not die.  These attacks are basically suicides except the shooter wants to go out in "a blaze of glory."  They won't be deterred by armed teachers anymore than they were deterred by Peterson. 

The knee-jerk reactions on both sides, "less guns!"  "more guns!" will do nothing but prevent a real solution.

Which is ...

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
That's what I meant about you posting substantive posts even when I disagree.  Well done!

Yes, I thought about that aspect as I posted this thread.  Deputy Peterson was in a no-win situation being expected to face an AR15 with his service nine millimeter Glock or what ever.  But he is almost in that situation (life over, better off dead) now because he did not shoot a kid.   I doubt he was trained to rush into a live shooter situation on his own.  Calling for backup is standard procedure, isn't it? 

My post was about the uselessness of government, moreso than the uselessness of Deputy Peterson, even though it came out that way.  But here's the thing:  School Resource officers are paid a lot of money to essentially stand around.  They may make some token effort at outreach but primarily they play on their phones and talk.  When that is their regular duty, it is much more cush than writing tickets all day.  When it's off-duty, they are making very good pay for guys with sixty hours from a  community college. 

For that compensation, they are expected to be there when something happens.  He could have gone in and tried to de-escalate the situation and/or looked for a shot that would end theh situation.  Yes, his "life would be over" if he accidentally shot the wrong kid.  But seventeen people's lives are over with no need for quotes.

I guess my main point is that we should secure schools at least as strongly as we secure federal buildings.  That means the same as securing the border does:  physical barriers and real checks on people coming in.  Not more money for sensitivity training or whatever.

Because of you knowing a bit about the situation you have spoke up in a muted way, but still caused division within the ranks. You didn't really need to come right out and say that the cop didn't stand a chance against the kid with the AR-15 and the idea of cops with handguns is stupid. You got the message across.

I wanted to comment on what you said just in case some of your readers are too dense to get it.

What you need is a shooting in a school you frequent and you'll become much more straight forward.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
But would accomplish nothing.   Trump's idea that shooters will avoid schools if teachers are armed is laughable.
Why?

Even if shooters intend to commit suicide by shooting, having some armed teachers in the school could easily reduce the body count.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
But would accomplish nothing.   Trump's idea that shooters will avoid schools if teachers are armed is laughable.  The most recent incident is one of very few in which the shooter did not die.  These attacks are basically suicides except the shooter wants to go out in "a blaze of glory."  They won't be deterred by armed teachers anymore than they were deterred by Peterson. 

Even beter burnsred! You just needed to be stirred up a little by the pig to talk more straight.

Cops in schools isn't the answer. The long term answer is gun control but in the short term there is probably none. When the gun control eventually comes, the NRA will be able to use no immediate results as their proof!

I was just thinking. Maybe an attitudinal change on the part of the NRA would be an answer. Something to talk about here too!

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:53pm:
Why?

Even if shooters intend to commit suicide by shooting, having some armed teachers in the school could easily reduce the body count.

Why do you hate school children?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why do you hate school children?
I hate the idea that children in schools must be shot down in "gun free zones" while waiting for outside help.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:06pm:
I hate the idea that children in schools must be shot down in "gun free zones" while waiting for outside help.

Talk to burnsred. Your argument is silly and it does nothing to make your a-s any sweeter. It actually makes you more 'bitter'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Coward of Broward - Our Government Helping us Again
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy