Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the Second Amendment really to promote state militias?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is the Second Amendment really to promote state militias? (Read 777 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is the Second Amendment really to promote state militias?
Reply #40 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:48pm:
Have any 18th-19th century SCOTUS rulings upheld an individual right to bear arms? Folks like to say this didn't happen until 2007/2010.
Nobody questioned the right to bear arms at all, and almost nobody wanted a machine gun, and everybody trusted Hoover's FBI and the 'progressive" Boy Geniuses that were promising to make things better by imposing "reasonable" limits on drug gangs (and everybody else but the government) having machine guns.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #41 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
It's not the the speed with which a rifle cycles that makes it useful for mass killings.  With practice even a rifle that isn't semi-automatic can be fired as quickly as an automatic with a bump stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG4wNhVaAfc

That much speed isn't very useful for a mass killer, because it just means that each victim would get multiple bullets.   

What makes the AK and the AR such popular weapons for mass killers is there thirty round magazines and the speed with which they can be changed.

Banning magazines over ten rounds or better yet, requiring all rifles to be loaded one bullet at a time as that lever action is would definitely prevent mass casualty shootings.   Provided of course that the next mass casualty shooter is dedicated to following all local, state and federal gun laws.   Or provided law enforcement would be able to effectively round up all non-compliant weapons and destroy them.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #42 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 7:59pm:
Banning magazines over ten rounds or better yet, requiring all rifles to be loaded one bullet at a time as that lever action is would definitely prevent mass casualty shootings.

Ignorant dolt.

Lever action rifles and shotguns can have very large magazines and be cycled very rapidly.

Practiced and experienced shooters can put rounds on target very quickly with a bolt action rifle or shotgun.

You should practice learning about what you want to condemn before you condemn it, lest you sound like a fool driven by ideology.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #43 - Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:06pm:
Ignorant dolt.

Lever action rifles and shotguns can have very large magazines and be cycled very rapidly.

Practiced and experienced shooters can put rounds on target very quickly with a bolt action rifle or shotgun.

You should practice learning about what you want to condemn before you condemn it, lest you sound like a fool driven by ideology.

Of course it is the ability to change out magazines that makes them so handy for mass killings.  Tube magazines, like that lever action I showed, don't do that.  If a gun has both a lever action and a detachable magazine, it would still have that adaptability for mass killings.

You want to claim to be a libertarian, but you turn a blind eye to the harm your ideology can cause.

I am a libertarian, but I also am honest enough to recognize the downside of legalizing freedom.  Let an unlimited number of guns with no limits to magazine capacity be sold and you're going to have problems like this.  Price of freedom, but don't pretend it doesn't have to be paid.  Remind people that the price of tyranny is far higher, but don't pretend our ideas would lead to a Utopia.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #44 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:45pm:
I am a libertarian, but I also am honest enough to recognize the downside of legalizing freedom. 
"Legalizing freedom" is not a thought that would occur to any libertarian. Libertarians believe general liberty is a natural right that can only be made "illegal" by tyrannical governments.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 8:06pm:
Ignorant dolt.

Wrong asshole. Lever action rifles and bolt action rifles seldom have large capacity magazines. And nobody is so ignorant that they wouldn't understand they could put a 3 foot long magazine on nearly any rifle.

And no, lever actions and bolt actions can't be fired nearly as fast as semi-auto or full autos. You're a lying fuk because you feel threatened by a conversation you're not up to  staying with.

If you're going to make up lying shit then you need to practice lies you can get past 6 year olds at least.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #46 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Wrong asshole. Lever action rifles and bolt action rifles seldom have large capacity magazines. And nobody is so ignorant that they wouldn't understand they could put a 3 foot long magazine on nearly any rifle.

And no, lever actions and bolt actions can't be fired nearly as fast as semi-auto or full autos. You're a lying fuk because you feel threatened by a conversation you're not up to  staying with.

If you're going to make up lying shit then you need to practice lies you can get past 6 year olds at least.

Seldom doesn't mean never or can't, and lever actions can be and are made with detachable magazines. Large capacity magazines are available for many bolt action rifles too.

I said "put rounds on target" which is different than having a contest to see who can waste ammunition the fastest.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 2:36pm:
Seldom doesn't mean never or can't, and lever actions can be and are made with detachable magazines. Large capacity magazines are available for many bolt action rifles too.

I said "put rounds on target" which is different than having a contest to see who can waste ammunition the fastest.

Don't waste your time stating the obvious to me. You should know that by now. I know as much or more than you do about the gun shit.

Let's have a fun competition!

We'll place ourselves about 100 yards apart and you can have your bolt action rifle and I'll have an AR-15. Don't be an ignorant asshole. I'll be able to place two or three in a tight group between your horns a lot quicker than you'll get me.
And frankly jeff, I would have a lot of pleasure doing it knowing that I would be doing the forum a favour.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #48 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Don't waste your time stating the obvious to me. You should know that by now. I know as much or more than you do about the gun shit.

Let's have a fun competition!

We'll place ourselves about 100 yards apart and you can have your bolt action rifle and I'll have an AR-15. Don't be an ignorant asshole. I'll be able to place two or three in a tight group between your horns a lot quicker than you'll get me.
And frankly jeff, I would have a lot of pleasure doing it knowing that I would be doing the forum a favour.
It's the first shot that will count dummy, but no thanks anyway, I have no desire to ever shoot a person.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #49 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 3:16pm:
It's the first shot that will count dummy, but no thanks anyway, I have no desire to ever shoot a person.
I've been considering this. You do understand that dueling is illegal and the penalties can be severe?

If you are OK with that, I propose rules to be considered and agreed upon by our seconds.

Here are the rules I propose.

1) You must start from a standing position with your magazine loaded and your chamber empty, bolt open.

2) On the command of "commence fire" you must sit down and start shooting from whatever sitting (kneeling is OK too) position suits you.

3) A sling is permitted, but your rifle must be completely supported by you, with no aid beyond the sling.

Would you agree to those rules?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is the Second Amendment really to promote state militias?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy