Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Income Inequality (Read 1420 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Income Inequality
Reply #110 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 7:58pm:
Opposition, I love House of Cards.  Too bad about Kevin Spacey.

Yeah, apparently he's a molesto. I told my beloved a long time ago that he had a creepy molesto look which made him really great for Seven.

Also, the entirely of the House of Cards series takes place in the head of a broken-down Malcolm from Malcolm in the Middle. Don't believe me? Watch the final episode of Malcolm in the Middle and listen to Lois's speech.

Jeff, that's how income inequality is portrayed in the series.  The rich get to live indefinitely because they have the money to buy clones of themselves and download their consciousness into them while the poor don't get the same luxury.   

Is income inequality a bad thing?  Yes.  But it isn't anything the government can solve.

I think they can solve it, but the question is, at what cost?

The other question is, is it right?

The later is honestly the bigger one. Remember that where Don has taken the argument, you are on his ground, arguing practicality, and he still hasn't addressed the point.

On libertarian ground, Don would have to address the idea that it's wrong to steal. If someone earned the extra income, without force, then it shouldn't be taken away.

You're on his ground, and he still can't address the point.

Sometimes he makes good points. This is not one of those times.

The rich are rich precisely because they own everything, and they sell everything. Tax them, and they'll just raise prices and lower wages.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #111 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Jeff, that's how income inequality is portrayed in the series.  The rich get to live indefinitely because they have the money to buy clones of themselves and download their consciousness into them while the poor don't get the same luxury.   

Is income inequality a bad thing?  Yes.  But it isn't anything the government can solve.

OK, Do the poor in the series have an opportunity to get rich?
Are the rich in the series like the rich in the real world, who have the opportunity to lose or squander their wealth and become poor?

Income inequality is only a bad thing if it is government enforced or government aided.

If you can get rich because your husband is part of the government and I don't have the same 'opportunities' because I don't have government connections, then income inequality is bad.

If government isn't allowed to tilt the playing field, then income inequality is just the natural result of some people working harder, being 'smarter' and having better luck.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #112 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:36am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 11:35pm:
I think they can solve it, but the question is, at what cost?

It's not as if it's never been tried lizard.
If you want to know the probable cost, look to the costs that have been imposed on nations and peoples where government tried to equalize income.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #113 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:37am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 11:35pm:
The rich are rich precisely because they own everything, and they sell everything.
This is nonsense and you know it.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #114 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:35am
Print Post  
Opposition, I love Malcolm in the Middle.  And yes, I remember that silly speech Lois gave in the final episode.  You can tell the writers wanted to throw some politics in at the last minute.  It really made no sense since Malcolm has almost no chance of being elected to anything, let alone president.  I guess Lois didn't remember how unpopular Malcolm is.

I get so tired of Hollywood preaching to us, they're a bunch of rich assholes who think they know better than the rest of us.  Apparently at the awards ceremony last night they went after Trump.  Funny, they loved him when he was a democrat.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #115 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Jeff, yes, the poor do have an opportunity to get rich, but the odds are stacked against them.  Capitalism is the best system for climbing one's way out of poverty, as long as government doesn't interfere.  But government can help.  It has poor children in its schools for about 18 years, yet if fails to teach them all about our economic system.  Every child reaching adulthood should know how to make a budget, know about the pitfalls of credit card debt, and have a good understanding of investing and taxes.  They need to have been taught things like building careers, being good employees/employers and the basics of running a business.  If government can't do the job, they need to rethink their system.  Maybe attach money to students and let them attend the private schools of their choice.

How a Great School is Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in America's Poorest City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiCDdixweg&t=22s

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #116 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:51am:
Jeff, yes, the poor do have an opportunity to get rich, but the odds are stacked against them.  Capitalism is the best system for climbing one's way out of poverty, as long as government doesn't interfere.  But government can help.  It has poor children in its schools for about 18 years, yet if fails to teach them all about our economic system.  Every child reaching adulthood should know how to make a budget, know about the pitfalls of credit card debt, and have a good understanding of investing and taxes.  They need to have been taught things like building careers, being good employees/employers and the basics of running a business.  If government can't do the job, they need to rethink their system.  Maybe attach money to students and let them attend the private schools of their choice.

How a Great School is Breaking the Cycle of Poverty in America's Poorest City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiCDdixweg&t=22s

Jeff is on to something and it's because he's learned from what I've told him. You've probably been aware of how government holds people back for a long time but you haven't though it through to it's logical conclusion. That's likely because your train of thinking has been blocked by those who control government. You're probably not going to like this:

US government is controlled by the 1% or 2% who ensure the tax breaks go to them. Your government is already fixed to control the wealth so the middle class and poor are immobilized.

As an American, you must never allow yourself to accept that. And that is why Bernie was called a commie and I will be thought of as a commie.

In truth I'm a Canadian capitalist. The difference in our capitalism is what we need to talk about. But like I say, you're not permitted to talk about it. It's a psychological mindblock that's been installed in your skull.

Just so you'll know Ruby.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #117 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:35am:
Opposition, I love Malcolm in the Middle.  And yes, I remember that silly speech Lois gave in the final episode.  You can tell the writers wanted to throw some politics in at the last minute.  It really made no sense since Malcolm has almost no chance of being elected to anything, let alone president.  I guess Lois didn't remember how unpopular Malcolm is.

Which is why he broke down and had a fantasy that he was president, without a single vote being cast in his name.

Jeff wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:37am:
This is nonsense and you know it.

Okay, I admit that. People who own less, and sell less, are more rich.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #118 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Don, are you saying no one in America can become wealthy if they're poor?  Because I'm pretty sure that's not true.  People from the middle and lower classes can and do improve their economic status in the U.S.  That's why so many people are trying to get here, legally and illegally, and often at the risk of their lives.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #119 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 3:04pm:
Don, are you saying no one in America can become wealthy if they're poor?  Because I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Some are born wealthy Ruby. Are you mentally challenged too?

Quote:
  People from the middle and lower classes can and do improve their economic status in the U.S.  That's why so many people are trying to get here, legally and illegally, and often at the risk of their lives.

From poor countries to all rich countries obviously. You really are pretty base aren't you.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy