Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What is the difference between voluntaryism and agorism?
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What is the difference between voluntaryism and agorism? (Read 243 times)
DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

What is the difference between voluntaryism and agorism?
Feb 28th, 2018 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
They seem to be the same thing.

IP Logged

kaz
Libertarian Freedom Member

Minarchist

Re: What is the difference between voluntaryism and agorism?
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 9:50am
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Feb 28th, 2018 at 11:52pm:
They seem to be the same thing.

Only if you take voluntarism to the extreme and apply it to all society.  Churches for example are maintained on voluntary contributions within an involuntary tax system.  You would call that voluntarism, you would not call it agorism

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 11:33am
Print Post  
My understanding is that voluntaryism is a philosophy, while agorism is an economic/market strategy based on voluntaryism.

I sometimes do business transactions using silver in lieu of money.  My barber, my mechanic and my tobacconist all take silver as payment for their services and goods.  The government hates this because they cannot collect taxes on these types of [barter] transactions.

This is practical application of agorism. 

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 11:33am:
My understanding is that voluntaryism is a philosophy, while agorism is an economic/market strategy based on voluntaryism.

I sometimes do business transactions using silver in lieu of money.  My barber, my mechanic and my tobacconist all take silver as payment for their services and goods.  The government hates this because they cannot collect taxes on these types of [barter] transactions.

This is practical application of agorism. 

How is there a difference in paying the barber with a ten dollar bill or a piece of silver worth ten dollars? Both are cheating the government in the same way. And one is no easier to trace than the other. In fact, the silver would likely be more tracable.

And it doesn't change the price of the haircut or the degree of cheating.

Did you make up a story before thinking it through again?

IP Logged

kaz

Minarchist

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:
How is there a difference in paying the barber with a ten dollar bill or a piece of silver worth ten dollars? Both are cheating the government in the same way. And one is no easier to trace than the other. In fact, the silver would likely be more tracable.

Bravo!  Your money is the government's!  When you don't give it to them, you are "cheating" them of their money!!!!

The judges are happy now.  You've ended this nonsense where you make sense.

A troll video, for you, sir!

Greg Gutfeld - I became a conservative by being around liberals and I became a libertarian by being around conservatives

Matt Stone - I hate conservatives, but I really f'ing hate liberals

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
How is there a difference in paying the barber with a ten dollar bill or a piece of silver worth ten dollars?
A ten-dollar bill is essentially worthless. Its just a piece of paper.

The silver has intrinsic value - it's considered to be an asset by most people who are knowledgeable about money and finance.

Quote:
In fact, the silver would likely be more tracable.
You earned the laughing-man reward!  I'm too lazy right now to post it.  I'll credit your account, ok?   Smiley

Quote:

Actually, it does.  Haircut is $18 at my barber.  But he'll accept a 1-ounce silver coin instead (worth $16)

Quote:
Thanks for accusing me of lying again.  It makes the mundane things that I do much so more rewarding!    Smiley

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 1:13pm:
A ten-dollar bill is essentially worthless. Its just a piece of paper.

The silver has intrinsic value - it's considered to be an asset by most people knowledgeable about money and finance.

No Chief, that's not true at all. But it's just a dodge from answering my question. You simply made it up and you don't pay in silver.

I fully understand the issue but it's pretty plain you don't. People don't barter in silver but some do hold silver and gold because they are paranoid about the collapse of the dollar. I would say they have about a 50/50 chance of being right over the long term. But the long term can't be established.

Quote:
You earned the laughing-man reward.  I'm too lazy right now to post it.  I'll credit your account, ok?   Smiley

You can fool some of the people Chief, as Bush2 would say.

Quote:
Thanks for accusing me of lying again.  It makes the mundane things I do much so more rewarding!   Smiley

It's a relatively harmless lie. It only harms your credibility!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
People don't barter in silver but some do hold silver and gold because they are paranoid about the collapse of the dollar.

We do things a little different in the US, Don_G.  It's just something you'll need to come to grips with.   

BTW, I have a many tubes of 2013 and 2014 Canadian Maple Leafs.  They're very nice.   

Quote:
It's a relatively harmless lie. It only harms your credibility!

You find the most mundane things incredible.  Don't they ever allow you to leave the house?  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 1st, 2018 at 1:41pm:
We do things a little different in the US, Don_G.  It's just something you'll need to come to grips with.   

BTW, I have a many tubes of 2013 and 2014 Canadian Maple Leafs.  They're very nice.   
https://www.ps-coins.com/media/images/info/MaplePrivyMoose.jpg

You likely don't, but it would all depend on when you bought them if you actually did. You could be a big winner or a big loser. To my point!

Quote:
You find the most mundane things incredible.  Don't they ever allow you to leave the house?  Embarrassed

You didn't pay your barber in silver Chief. Don't compound the lie, it just gets you deeper into the dogshit.

On another issue concerning silver that you may be aware of.

When we put new starters in a sawmill I worked at, we replaced quite a few size 3, 4, and 5's. They started throwing them in the steel bin because separating out the copper wan't really worth it at the time. But for some reason nobody thought of what else could be separated out. And the company that came to take the scrap steel didn't either.

But years before, when I went to trade school, one of the guys came in with a full jam jar, and I remembered that and where he got it. So I took out the starters one by one from the steel bin on the night shift and separated out the good stuff. Just as I was doing that, the price went up to somewhere around $50 an ounce. So I collected it over a period of a couple of years and as I collected and filled jam jars, the price went down, down, down.

I made a pretty nice profit out of it and nobody at the mill was any the wiser. But what I made was abour a tenth of what I could have made. Dohhhhhhh!

You should know what this is all about. Unfortunately the contacts on the big ones aren't anymore. But think of it! Each of those mothers was about an ounce on the number 5's and each starter had 12 of em!

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
When we put new starters in a sawmill I worked at, we replaced quite a few size 3, 4, and 5's. They started throwing them in the steel bin because separating out the copper wan't really worth it at the time. But for some reason nobody thought of what else could be separated out. And the company that came to take the scrap steel didn't either.
I don't believe a word of this.  It sounds so incredible to me.

Why do make this stuff up, Don_G?  Lol!!

Smiley

edit: kaz, please submit this post to the judges for a troll video reward.  It's really lame, I know, But so are most of Don-G's troll posts, and he gets the reward multiple times per day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › What is the difference between voluntaryism and agorism?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy