Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Age Limits For Gun Ownership Violates 2A
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Age Limits For Gun Ownership Violates 2A (Read 706 times)
The Opposition
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Age Limits For Gun Ownership Violates 2A
Reply #30 - Mar 4th, 2018 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 10:25pm:
SnarkySack wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 8:05pm:
All this discussion of the U.S. Constitution as the guide to what is and what isn't libertarianism is counterproductive.  The Constitution was doomed to failure as a document intended to protect individual liberty.  It began to fail in that goal almost immediatly and has been more of a failure over the last two centuries.

As a document intended to give the federal government more power over states and over individuals, it has been a smashing success.

Regrettably, I'm compelled to agree with you. It was doomed from the get-go.  But only for the lack of righteous people to defend it.  Especially those assholes who raised their hand to swear an oath to defend it, against all enemies, foreign and domestic,  and then proceeded to dismantle it!   Angry

Want a list?   

(former) King Obama tops that list. What an awful president! There are others. 

edit: Many people claim that Jimmy Carter was the worst president ever.  Whatever.  He kept his oath.  He is welcome in my home anytime.  King Obama and Hillary-the-Defiler  -  NO TRESPASSING. Ever.

Where's the flaming, Jeff? I used to say this all the time and all you did was tell me I didn't understand liberty or rights, or the Constitution.

Jeff wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 5:15pm:
"Eaten to death" is not a good choice of words.

Yes it is.

Jeff wrote on Mar 3rd, 2018 at 5:15pm:
It will make some people chuckle and think- "As opposed to being eaten to life by alligators." Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

As opposed to being eaten just a little. For example, if someone were to flambe your arm and nibble on it a little.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:46am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 4th, 2018 at 11:51pm:
Where's the flaming, Jeff? I used to say this all the time and all you did was tell me I didn't understand liberty or rights, or the Constitution.

Red is hopeless.

You've come to understand and accept natural Rights.

Maybe you can even see the Constitution for what it is, a limitation on the power of the national government designed to protect individual rights and general Liberty.

Donat has the "progressive" model firmly embedded in his narrow mind, he thinks if there is no explicit restriction, the government can do whatever isn't expressly forbidden to it, and that individuals are forbidden to act unless there is express permission granted by the Constitution, which makes Donat hopeless too.

Edit:The states have power to decide how old people must be to own guns.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:46am:
Red is hopeless.

You've come to understand and accept natural Rights.

Maybe you can even see the Constitution for what it is, a limitation on the power of the national government designed to protect individual rights and general Liberty.

Donat has the "progressive" model firmly embedded in his narrow mind, he thinks if there is no explicit restriction, the government can do whatever isn't expressly forbidden to it, and that individuals are forbidden to act unless there is express permission granted by the Constitution, which makes Donat hopeless too.

Edit:The states have power to decide how old people must be to own guns.

Well, then all they have to do is set a minimum age of 120 years and they can effectively ban guns without running afoul of the constitution, right?

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:31am:
Well, then all they have to do is set a minimum age of 120 years and they can effectively ban guns without running afoul of the constitution, right?

You're obviously right even though you exaggerate. It could just as well be 25 years old of 40 for dangerous weapons like the AR's. And say 50 for handguns. Maybe 20 for BB guns.

People like Oppo, therm, and Alayne??

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 11:31am:

That doesn't seem likely, but none of your fantasy creations do.

Did you know that if Lincoln wished to preserve slavery, all he had to do was join his arguments to the slave state governments (and you) and say that States, being Sovereign States, had a right to leave the Union, and say further that he was not going to call out the Militias or raise an army to stop them.

Congress could have have appealed that decision to the Supreme Court, but they would have lost and slavery would have been preserved, just like Lincoln (and you) wanted.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 12:03pm:
You're obviously right even though you exaggerate. It could just as well be 25 years old of 40 for dangerous weapons like the AR's. And say 50 for handguns. Maybe 20 for BB guns.
You would save far more lives by making the minimum driving age 21, or even 20.

It would probably save more lives to give yearly road tests to drivers over 65.

And outlaw bicycles. And stop drugging our children in school.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 5:46pm:
That doesn't seem likely, but none of your fantasy creations do.

But there is nothing to prevent it.  For example, if the federal government raises the age to 21, what prevents a state from raising it to 25 or 30? 

Quote:
Did you know that if Lincoln wished to preserve slavery, all he had to do was join his arguments to the slave state governments (and you) and say that States, being Sovereign States, had a right to leave the Union, and say further that he was not going to call out the Militias or raise an army to stop them.

Congress could have have appealed that decision to the Supreme Court, but they would have lost and slavery would have been preserved, just like Lincoln (and you) wanted.

Lincoln did NOT wish to preserve slavery.  He wished to keep the southern states in the union by force and the slavery issue was not important except in how it furthered that goal.  That's not me saying that.  That's what Lincoln himself said.  Can you explain why you don't take Honest Abe at his word?

He gave a warning to states in rebellion before announcing the emancipation proclamation to give them a chance to keep their slaves by rejoining his United States.  How is that being a "great emancipator?"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:40pm:
Lincoln did NOT wish to preserve slavery.  He wished to keep the southern states in the union by force and the slavery issue was not important except in how it furthered that goal.
Right, except the issue of human chattel slavery was important enough to have people fighting over it across the entire nation with words, and in Kansas and Missouri with guns and nooses and torches.

Lincoln knew about all of that, and he knew that to eliminate slavery in American would require preserving the Union.

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #38 - Mar 5th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:55pm:
Right, except the issue of human chattel slavery was important enough to have people fighting over it across the entire nation with words, and in Kansas and Missouri with guns and nooses and torches.

Lincoln knew about all of that, and he knew that to eliminate slavery in American would require preserving the Union.

Show me one scintilla of evidence for that.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 5th, 2018 at 6:55pm:

Lincoln can't know something that's not true; he can only think something that's not true.

The union was preserved and there is still slavery in some parts of the world today, therefore preserving the union did not eliminate slavery.

While you have a qualifier in America, why should it matter whether it's on this continent or not? If you accept the South's right to secede, it was another country.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Age Limits For Gun Ownership Violates 2A
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy