Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Attorney General Sues California On Obstruction Of Justice
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Attorney General Sues California On Obstruction Of Justice (Read 377 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Attorney General Sues California On Obstruction Of Justice
Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:04am
Print Post  
Jeff Sessions blasts California for 'sanctuary' laws, immigration policies. 

Guv Moonbeam Brown retorts; "It's a stunt..."

My opinion:

California needs to secede from the Union. ¡inmediatamente!.  Clearly, our agenda is not aligned with the rest of the Nation.

Congress:

Set us free.  Please.   You know it's the right thing to do.    So do it.   Yes, produce from California will be more expensive.  Sure - it will hurt for a little while.  Tariffs are the answer.  Tax the crap out of California exported goods.

The US consumer will bear the brunt of this.  Not to worry.  Government subsidies can enable farmers/ranchers to pick up the slack.  Within a year or so, produce prices will should be back to normal.

(no promises, though!)

http://www.kcra.com/article/sessions-blasts-california-for-sanctuary-laws-immigr...

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Attorney General Sues California On Obstruction Of Justice
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:53am
Print Post  
I agree. California not only has the right to secede, but it also doesn't (IMEO) really have the right to intentionally harbour people breaking federal law.

This is exactly why the right to secede exists. If California wants open borders, it has a right to have that. Without putting it on the shoulders of the rest of the country.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:04am:
Jeff Sessions blasts California for 'sanctuary' laws, immigration policies. 

Guv Moonbeam Brown retorts; "It's a stunt..."

My opinion:

California needs to secede from the Union. ¡inmediatamente!.  Clearly, our agenda is not aligned with the rest of the Nation.

Congress:

Set us free.  Please.   You know it's the right thing to do.    So do it.   Yes, produce from California will be more expensive.  Sure - it will hurt for a little while.  Tariffs are the answer.  Tax the crap out of California exported goods.

The US consumer will bear the brunt of this.  Not to worry.  Government subsidies can enable farmers/ranchers to pick up the slack.  Within a year or so, produce prices will should be back to normal.

(no promises, though!)

http://www.kcra.com/article/sessions-blasts-california-for-sanctuary-laws-immigr...

Is there a normal for produce prices, though?  I would think that in a free market, normal price for any commodity, good or service is whatever people are willing to buy and sell it for.  If current prices are normal, then they are the prices for food produced using primarily illegal alien and guest worker labor.  It seems that using force against farm owners and workers to compel them to pay and work for a minimum wage would mean that prices would rise due to the market being less free.

I'm not sure how they would drop back down unless government allowed more workers to come in.  Government already subsidizes illegal alien labor by turning a blind eye to their collecting welfare benefits while a) working cash jobs and b) being illegal and c) having three families living in a one bedroom apartment so they can send more money to relatives in Chiapas.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:23am:
Is there a normal for produce prices, though?  I would think that in a free market, normal price for any commodity, good or service is whatever people are willing to buy and sell it for.

I'm not sure how they would drop back down unless government allowed more workers to come in.  Government already subsidizes illegal alien labor by turning a blind eye to their collecting welfare benefits while a) working cash jobs and b) being illegal and c) having three families living in a one bedroom apartment so they can send more money to relatives in Chiapas.

Currently, California farmers and ranchers are heavily subsidized by the Fed gov't. If California were to secede, those subsidies stop, and the prices for California produce will go up substantially.  Overnight, too.

California produces 13% of the total cash agricultural receipts for the U.S., so the country is heavily dependent on California for our produce. 

California the 6th largest economy in the World.   We are more valued than any other state. And that is precisely why Congress would never allow California secession.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
duplicate - sorry.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 11:49am:
Currently, California farmers and ranchers are heavily subsidized by the Fed gov't. If California were to secede, those subsidies stop, and the prices for California produce will go up substantially.  Overnight, too.

California produces 13% of the total cash agricultural receipts for the U.S., so the country is heavily dependent on California for our produce. 

California the 6th largest economy in the World.   We are more valued than any other state. And that is precisely why Congress would never allow California secession.

But California has 12% of the U.S. population so doesn't most of that food end up being eaten by Californians? 

I know it doesn't exactly work like that, but California ships oranges and Marijuana to Kansas, Idaho and Alabama who then ship corn, potatoes and cotton to California, correct?  Assuming that secession wouldn't mean a trade barrier between the U.S. and the ROC, I don't see the problem. 

But I'm no economist, so I'm all ears . . .

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 1:01pm:
But California has 12% of the U.S. population so doesn't most of that food end up being eaten by Californians? 

Oddly, no. A lot of the produce we buy at the grocery store is imported from Mexico!  The oranges come from Florida, and the limes from Mexico.  We ship California-grown oranges to Florida. And Cal-grown limes... not sure where they go... Probably to Mexico!!  LoL

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 6:23pm:
Oddly, no. A lot of the produce we buy at the grocery store is imported from Mexico!  The oranges come from Florida, and the limes from Mexico.  We ship California-grown oranges to Florida. And Cal-grown limes... not sure where they go... Probably to Mexico!!  LoL

Right, so a seceded California would not be isolated economically.  A seceded Confederate States would not have been isolated economically either.  Lincoln appealed to the economic interests of northern states to get them to go along with his quest not to be "the president that lost the south."  He only talked about the war being against slavery when he wanted to convince foreign governments not to help the CSA.

More than one hundred years later many still fall for that propaganda.

I think a state government is much more responsive to the desires of its citizens than a national government could ever be.  Ideally, a government should be no larger than a city-state, roughly the size of a modern U.S. county.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
"Justice?"  Really?

How is it "just" to all but invite people to come from Latin America to come to the United States and then persecute them when the come?

Huh?

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 8th, 2018 at 10:10pm:
"Justice?"  Really?

How is it "just" to all but invite people to come from Latin America to come to the United States and then persecute them when the come?

Huh?

Its not but then its not just to all but invite them to be poorly paid underclass either. 

My analogy to the issue, its like we have two people sharing an apartment and one invites his body to sleep on the couch for a small fee but his room mate doesn't want that to happen. 

Anyrate, Sessions will almost certainly win the case give the results of Arizona's attempt to help the Feds enforce federal law was shut down by the courts. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Attorney General Sues California On Obstruction Of Justice
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy