Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Sheriff's Deputy has Ex-Wife Arrested for Facebook Post
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sheriff's Deputy has Ex-Wife Arrested for Facebook Post (Read 223 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Sheriff's Deputy has Ex-Wife Arrested for Facebook Post
Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:

She complained about the deputy's refusal to get some over-the-counter medication for her (and his) sick kids (she was sick also).  So he sent his buddy to pick her up after some idiot magistrate issued a warrant for the ex and a friend of the ex's who joined in the bashing.

I'm not a big fan of Facebook posts complaining about ex's.  I have a cousin for whom that seems to be the entire purpose of Facebook.  But obviously, that is not a crime; the U.S. isn't that authoritarian yet.

A judge threw that case out, but that doesn't change what that woman and her friend had to go through.   The idea that government employees are the only ones who should have guns seems more and more absurd when one examines reality.

"I think I'll backtrack." - Jeff

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Re: Sheriff's Deputy has Ex-Wife Arrested for Facebook Post
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:52pm:
She complained about the deputy's refusal to get some over-the-counter medication for her (and his) sick kids (she was sick also).  So he sent his buddy to pick her up after some idiot magistrate issued a warrant for the ex and a friend of the ex's who joined in the bashing.

I'm not a big fan of Facebook posts complaining about ex's.  I have a cousin for whom that seems to be the entire purpose of Facebook.  But obviously, that is not a crime; the U.S. isn't that authoritarian yet.

A judge threw that case out, but that doesn't change what that woman and her friend had to go through.   The idea that government employees are the only ones who should have guns seems more and more absurd when one examines reality.

So this is about guns. I couldn't figure where you were going until I read the last sentence.

No, more guns aren't the answer. You're suggesting that others should have guns to shoot cops. That's just calling for more dead bodies because the cops will be awarded free license to massacre all resistance. And they should be if they are held to be working for the state.

The right solution is in ending the corruption. In this example, ending the corruption within the police. Which are the state of course.

(where's Jeff? Temporarily gone or gone for good? And I mean 'good' literally!) (something to do with anonymity?)

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So this is about guns. I couldn't figure where you were going until I read the last sentence.

No, more guns aren't the answer. You're suggesting that others should have guns to shoot cops. That's just calling for more dead bodies because the cops will be awarded free license to massacre all resistance. And they should be if they are held to be working for the state.

The right solution is in ending the corruption. In this example, ending the corruption within the police. Which are the state of course.

(where's Jeff? Temporarily gone or gone for good? And I mean 'good' literally!) (something to do with anonymity?)

LoL!

That would be good, but I think he will come back and say he was in a fugue state or some other excuse for another "lost weekend."

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
If you don't like this, what you actually don't like is civil law.

No, she shouldn't have been arrested.

He had every right to sue her for what she wrote. If it caused damage (which every action does in one way or another) he should have won.

This is how it would go down in a libertarian world. Instead of $1000 bail, she'd be paying out probably multiple thousands in damages instead of now seeking them herself for the wrongful arrest.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 3:14pm:

He had every right to sue her for what she wrote. If it caused damage (which every action does in one way or another) he should have won.

This is how it would go down in a libertarian world. Instead of $1000 bail, she'd be paying out probably multiple thousands in damages instead of now seeking them herself for the wrongful arrest.

I don't think it's a tort to complain about someone's behavior unless the behavior you complain about actually did not happen.

In my example, it was criminal law enforcement that went bad.  As far as I know, the deputy didn't sue his ex for truthfully stating that he refused to get medicine for his children.  If he did, he should have to pay court costs. 

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 3:41pm:
In my example, it was criminal law enforcement that went bad.

Right, and this should never have been a criminal matter.

As far as I know, the deputy didn't sue his ex for truthfully stating that he refused to get medicine for his children.  If he did, he should have to pay court costs.

He would, but if he won, he would surely get that back. He did claim it was false, though. Or at least, somebody did. It's reasonable to assume it was him.

The arrest warrant, as noted in the complaint, said: The "subject did, without a privilege to do so and with intent to defame another, communicate false matter which tends to expose one who is alive to hatred, contempt, or ridicule, and which tends to provoke a breach of peace."

I don't think it's a tort to complain about someone's behavior unless the behavior you complain about actually did not happen.

Right, but this is another objection I have to civil law. Civil cases do not declare innocent until proven guilty. They use preponderance of evidence instead. That means, if there's no evidence that her post was true, it's a total crapshoot whether the jury declares it true or false.

The only question is why a dumbass would try to use criminal law when civil law would give him the better chance to punish the other person.

This example is actually not a failure of the criminal system. It worked to exonerate the ex-wife. The judge, as he should, said, "Why are we even here?"

This is how the criminal system works. The civil system, which libertarians like Rothbard and Friedman want to handle every case, works differently.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
All she said was that he refussd to get the kids some meds for their flu, then added an, "overwhelmed" emoji.  It was her friends that called him nasty names in response.  Should they be sued as well?  If we're going to sue people over such petty nonsense, then we're going to need more courts and lawyers. 

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 9th, 2018 at 3:14pm:

Right. What was the crime? What was the probable cause and reasonable cause to arrest anyone?

I don't like arresting people without probable cause.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Sheriff's Deputy has Ex-Wife Arrested for Facebook Post
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy