Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Fall Of California - A Paradise Lost
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 55 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Fall Of California - A Paradise Lost (Read 21985 times)
ahhell
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: The Fall Of California - A Paradise Lost
Reply #420 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:15am
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 3:59am:
Hi, I am Yamcha and I am new here.  Glad to be in a place where opposing views are not shut down.

I and 47 and born and raised in California (Orange County).  I am too young to remember what some people call the "Golden Years" when Reagan was governor but I do have great memories of growing up there during the late 70s till now.

It was like paradise on Earth.  We have relatively low taxes and housing was affordable and there wasn't any PC or big illegal problem and boy the weather was and still is the best.

Most of the more serious crime was committed by Blacks and Mexicans but it was kept mostly in their own areas.  Then came the 90's with the riots, O.J. Simpson, PC culture and the Democrat party take over.  Everything went to the shit that you see now.

Now, besides the weather, I can't think of anything I like about this place.

There's a truism about golden ages, everyone thinks it was in the past around the time they were kids.  Mostly because if your parents were any good they kept you insulated from the shittiness. 

Crime was worse then, it wasn't relegated to the Black and Mexican Communites, you almost certainly have no idea what taxes were like but prop 13 past in the late 70s which would suggest they weren't as low as you think. 

Homelessness was a smaller problem then though.  And on the upside, if you died tomorrow, your last governor of CA will be the same as your first!  The first you might remember anyway. 

In the end this post comes off like you saying, man I miss the days when I could call a spic a spic.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #421 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Why can't you still call a spic a spic?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #422 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:09am
Print Post  
The uncomfortable answer is because of private property rights.

Calling a cracker a cracker (or even a Nazi) is perfectly fine, because people won't ban you from forums or track you down and then threaten your employer until they fire you.

Doing that other thing will cause these things to happen to you.

The law has nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry people on this board can't seem to understand that I support private property rights regardless of the result being a horribly unfair world.

I also think that even if someone very important is dying, and a transplant can save him, it doesn't matter how many peoples' lives hinge on the decision: That one guy who's a match should be allowed to say no and keep his kidney. Doesn't matter if that decision will cause the deaths of a million people. It's his kidney.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #423 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
yamcha wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:31am:
Why can't you still call a spic a spic?
You are welcome to, just don't be surprised when some folks react badly to it and make certain judgements of you.  For instance, I think you're probably a racist.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #424 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:09am:
The uncomfortable answer is because of private property rights.

For a very clever Vulcan, you say some incredibly stupid things. Grin

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #425 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:55pm:
You are welcome to, just don't be surprised when some folks react badly to it and make certain judgements of you.  For instance, I think you're probably a racist.

I'm almost certain yamcha is a racist.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #426 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 10:15am:
There's a truism about golden ages, everyone thinks it was in the past around the time they were kids.  Mostly because if your parents were any good they kept you insulated from the shittiness. 

Crime was worse then, it wasn't relegated to the Black and Mexican Communites, you almost certainly have no idea what taxes were like but prop 13 past in the late 70s which would suggest they weren't as low as you think. 

Homelessness was a smaller problem then though.  And on the upside, if you died tomorrow, your last governor of CA will be the same as your first!  The first you might remember anyway. 

In the end this post comes off like you saying, man I miss the days when I could call a spic a spic. 

Points are taken and thank you.  Yeah, what did I know about taxes while I was still living under my parent's roof?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #427 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:55am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:55pm:
For instance, I think you're probably a racist.

Jeff wrote on Jul 10th, 2019 at 1:37pm:
I'm almost certain yamcha is a racist.

And I don't care because I'm not the PC police. It's almost like you can't have infinite diversity in infinite combinations unless you're actually willing to tolerate people with different beliefs.

You can't show people intolerance is wrong by being more intolerant than they are.

You're the ones sowing divisiveness. That's the great irony here.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #428 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:55am:
And I don't care because I'm not the PC police. It's almost like you can't have infinite diversity in infinite combinations unless you're actually willing to tolerate people with different beliefs.

You can't show people intolerance is wrong by being more intolerant than they are.

You're the ones sowing divisiveness. That's the great irony here.

How so?   Jeff and I merely expressed our opinions.   Neither of us have made any move to silence yamcha or censure him in any way. I've merely pointed out the conclusion I've drawn from his posts. 

Also, this talk of intolerance being wrong is a red herring.

IP Logged

yamcha

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #429 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:52am
Print Post  
And if I hate all races equally including my own? Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 55
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › The Fall Of California - A Paradise Lost
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy