Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 50 Reasons Pseudo-Libertarians are Crazy.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 50 Reasons Pseudo-Libertarians are Crazy. (Read 1294 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: 50 Reasons Pseudo-Libertarians are Crazy.
Reply #30 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
MMMark wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 2:50pm:
Criticism of libertarianism ranges from the scholarly to the juvenile (this list is an example); I welcome the proliferation, which confirms the ascension from obscurity.
Screw around a bit with Don_G and he will raise you out of obscurity for free, make you perhaps even more famous than Craig Sickler... Who cares?

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #31 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But 'The Opposition' has managed to interpret it as equivalent to the truth on that being proposed by libertarians.

I've taken several points the list makes and linked to the Mises institute articles that support those points being true.

Without the nasty commentary, the one or two meaningless statements of moral values, and the obviously, blatantly false point 42, there's nothing wrong with that list at all.

If anyone disputes any of the points I'm more than happy to link to the Mises institute again.

I will also defend them because I think they're right. I'm not going to hiss back underneath the fridge and scream that liberals don't get to define my beliefs when they're spot-on.

I'm very sad that the rest of the people on the board reacted this way.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #32 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:02pm:
I've taken several points the list makes and linked to the Mises institute articles that support those points being true.

Your ideology prevented you from learning anything from Mises?

Too bad for you.

Let's talk fundamentals.

That's why you are here, right? To learn fundamentals?

What have you learned so far?

IP Logged

MMMark

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #33 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Tues. 18/03/13 18:09 EDT
.post #23

Quote:
I've already freely admitted that the list isn't stated in a complimentary fashion. It's not meant to be, it's meant to be insulting to libertarians.

I enjoy a good insult if it's skillfully executed...but that list's composer isn't talented in this respect.
More importantly though, and as I pointed out, anyone who ridicules libertarianism (skillfully or artlessly) is really saying "Yay for aggression!"  Not very attractive.

Quote:
I guess I should take that as meaning that you don't dismiss any of it?

I don't mind juvenile insults...sometimes they can stimulate a more thoughtful person into delving below the superficial.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #34 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
Your ideology prevented you from learning anything from Mises?

https://mises.org/library/defending-blackmailer

MMMark wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
as I pointed out[/url], anyone who ridicules libertarianism (skillfully or artlessly) is really saying "Yay for aggression!"  Not very attractive.

Correct. And I will defend any of the points on that list accordingly.

For example, it's not very nice to stop an unlicensed doctor from providing substandard care to a patient for whom he is the only hope. You're just mandating that the patient die, then.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #35 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:10pm:
For example, it's not very nice to stop an unlicensed doctor from providing substandard care to a patient for whom he is the only hope. You're just mandating that the patient die, then.
fooch

Edit: Coward. Dishonest evasive coward. Not my problem, but it might be why your Mother tried to kill you.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #36 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:13pm:
fooch

Edit: Coward. Dishonest evasive coward. Not my problem, but it might be why your Mother tried to kill you.

Alright then. It is nice to stop unlicensed medical care. Okay? I can't fight your insults so whenever you do this, I'll just change my position and agree with you instead.

-SnarkySack

IP Logged

MMMark

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #37 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Tues. 18/03/13 19:16 EDT
.post #24

Quote:
Now that leads to an analysis of each point made in order to determine if it does coincide with libertarians' stated politics and wishes for government. I know of no exceptions but that's the challenge.

The composer of this list has not substantiated, nor has he referenced, even a single claim.
He claims these are the positions of some libertarians, but which ones?  When?  Where?
He does not say.
Why not?

Talk is cheap.  Facts and evidence and substantiation cost a bit more.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
MMMark wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:09pm:
Tues. 18/03/13 18:09 EDT
.post #23

I enjoy a good insult if it's skillfully executed...but that list's composer isn't talented in this respect.
More importantly though, and as I pointed out, anyone who ridicules libertarianism (skillfully or artlessly) is really saying "Yay for aggression!"  Not very attractive.

I don't mind juvenile insults...sometimes they can stimulate a more thoughtful person into delving below the superficial.

libertarianism is about far more than just aggression. As to the libertarians on this board, they're selectively opposed to aggression. I could prove this claim but they will prove it for you over time.

You talk from a high moral ground and so that will call for putting you to the test.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #39 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:36pm:
It is nice to stop unlicensed medical care.
Why? You want to burn practical midwives and traditional healers as Witches?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › 50 Reasons Pseudo-Libertarians are Crazy.
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy