Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › More good stuff on 'free trade' (quotes intended!)
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) More good stuff on 'free trade' (quotes intended!) (Read 747 times)
BobK71
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

More good stuff on 'free trade' (quotes intended!)
Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
There Is No Free Trade, Only the Darwinian Game of Trade.

This is from Charles Hugh Smith, whom I admire greatly for his insights into the world system, even if I don't agree with his remedies.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Re: More good stuff on 'free trade' (quotes intended!)
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:43pm:

This is from Charles Hugh Smith, whom I admire greatly for his insights into the world system, even if I don't agree with his remedies.

Can you explain the reference to 'Darwinian' as you see it? I'm missing it.

To say that there is no free trade by saying there's no completely free trade, is an exaggeration of the facts.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Those bleating about "free trade" are simply pushing a Darwinian strategy that benefits them above everyone else.

Darwinian strategy??

Quote:
US corporate profits have quadrupled since China entered the WTO; is this mere coincidence? No: global corporations arbitraged labor, credit, taxes, environmental/regulatory and currency inputs to dramatically lower their costs (and the quality of the goods they sold credit-dependent consumers) and thus boost profits four-fold in a mere 15 years while tossing the hapless consumers a few nickels of "lower prices always" (and lower quality always, too).

A lot lower prices! And definitely not always lower quality. Corporate profits quadrupling in the US is due to the unjust system and how it's allowed income inequality to grow. Not because of China! As are the negatives on the environmental aspect, as well as other, not the fault of China or other trading partners.

This guy is responding to Trump's policies after only a year in. Maybe he still thinks Trump is poor man's friend who's going to save all poor Americans from China?

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 12:43pm:

He has lost heart. He thinks that we might as well throw up our hands and settle for a Medieval style mercantile system because that's the system that governments mostly like these days.

Warring Mercantile States is Darwinian in that it is the law of the jungle.

I choose to believe the empirical evidence that shows that reducing trade barriers, even unilaterally, is a net benefit and reduces the chances of war.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 12th, 2018 at 7:34pm:
He has lost heart. He thinks that we might as well throw up our hands and settle for a Medieval style mercantile system because that's the system that governments mostly like these days.

Warring Mercantile States is Darwinian in that it is the law of the jungle.

I choose to believe the empirical evidence that shows that reducing trade barriers, even unilaterally, is a net benefit and reduces the chances of war.

Darwinian makes no sense. He may have misused the term, meaning Orwellian instead?

Even though that wouldn't make a lot more sense in the context he's trying to explain his theory.

Darwinian is 'law of the jungle'? Duhhhhhhh!

Looks like BobK is going to try to run from giving us an explanation.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Darwinian makes no sense.
He is talking about competing Mercantile States (often with a State Religion), and that is the Medieval 'Law of the Jungle Rule by Conquest' period usually called the Dark ages, although the system of political economy (mercantilism) persisted for millennia and still exists.

Survival of the most adaptable, cooperative, and lucky is what Darwin was talking about.

IP Logged

BobK71

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Can you explain the reference to 'Darwinian' as you see it? I'm missing it.

To say that there is no free trade by saying there's no completely free trade, is an exaggeration of the facts.

It seems just an adjective he chooses.  He could have used 'hard ball' as far as I'm concerned.  Can never be sure, though.

How about: there is no free trade because unfree money colors everything?

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:38pm:
It seems just an adjective he chooses.  He could have used 'hard ball' as far as I'm concerned.  Can never be sure, though.

How about: there is no free trade because unfree money colors everything?

That's what I thought Bob. He's likely stupid enough to have confused 'darwinian' with 'orwellian', even though it would take some clever thinking to even make 'orwellian' work.

A great big loss of credibility on his part Bob. You've better than that. I suggest you be a little more selective on what and who you support.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
BobK71 wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:38pm:
It seems just an adjective he chooses.
Ha ha.

Coward.

He is talking about competition between crony capitalist mercantile states and how it absolutely prevents free trade and therefore always screws the peasants.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
He's likely stupid enough to have confused 'darwinian' with 'orwellian', even though it would take some clever thinking to even make 'orwellian' work.

Perhaps "clever" redefinition of terms would work better? That's what "progressives" favor.

Just redefine "Darwinian" as meaning "Orwellian".

Presto Chango reality is altered!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › More good stuff on 'free trade' (quotes intended!)
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy