Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarians who Support Involuntary Taxes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Libertarians who Support Involuntary Taxes (Read 121 times)
Snarky Sack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Libertarians who Support Involuntary Taxes
Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Don't seem that libertarian to me.  How can you say you want freedom and protection of rights when you want government to take way the freedom to own property and when government is the main force that takes away the right to own property?

It reminds me of a review I read of a bourbon called "Devil's Cut."  Devils cut is unique in that instead of selling the used aging barrels for aging of other liquors, Jim Beam has a process to extract the bourbon that soaked into the wood.  They put that "devil's cut" back into the bourbon.  The reviewers criticism:  the bourbon tasted "woody." 

Well, duh.  You drink stuff extracted from wood and act surprised that it tastes woody.  But that's no dumber than people who want government to take our money by force but then complain that it redistributes wealth and forbids us from being free.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Libertarians who Support Involuntary Taxes
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:29am
Print Post  
There will be a government and it will take your stuff without your prior ascent. 

I prefer a government where I have some recourse to vote for politicians I prefer and petition them for redress of my grievances.  If they don't have involuntary taxes they will be replaced by someone that does.  Probably the strongest guy or group other than the existing government.

Its not very anarchistic of me but it is perfectly libertarian.

IP Logged

Snarky Sack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:04am
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:29am:
There will be a government and it will take your stuff without your prior ascent. 

I prefer a government where I have some recourse to vote for politicians I prefer and petition them for redress of my grievances.  If they don't have involuntary taxes they will be replaced by someone that does.  Probably the strongest guy or group other than the existing government.

Its not very anarchistic of me but it is perfectly libertarian.

Letting people steal from you as long as you can be one of millions of voters deciding who gets to do the stealing is democracy, not libertarianism.

"Taxes are morally justified theft" - Jeff

IP Logged

ahhell

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Snarky Sack wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:04am:
Letting people steal from you as long as you can be one of millions of voters deciding who gets to do the stealing is democracy, not libertarianism.
Its not letting anyone do anything.  I will be stolen from, I'd rather I have a say in how much and what its used for, even if a tiny say.  The alternative is that I'm the one doing the stealing, which is much less libertarian than a democratic theft.

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
One cannot have self-ownership if there are involuntary taxes.  How could ANY true libertarian support involuntary taxes? 

I support VOLUNTARY Taxes.  Like a Gasoline Tax, Marijuana Tax, Liquor Tax, Data Tax, etc...  If a person doesn't want to pay a Gasoline Tax, he/she can ride a bike or walk.  If a person doesn't want to pay a Marijuana Tax, he/she can grow their own. etc, etc.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
ahhell wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:14am:
Its not letting anyone do anything.  I will be stolen from, I'd rather I have a say in how much and what its used for, even if a tiny say.  The alternative is that I'm the one doing the stealing, which is much less libertarian than a democratic theft.

Good for you! You're being realistic about it even though you attempt to put a libertarian spin on the issue.

Now we're talking 'real' libertarianism!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Libertarians who Support Involuntary Taxes
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy