Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is John R. Lott, Jr. a fraud?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is John R. Lott, Jr. a fraud? (Read 94 times)
DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Is John R. Lott, Jr. a fraud?
Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
If you aren't familiar with John Lott, he is an economist and gun policy "expert" and founder of the Crime Prevention Research Center (I recommend you go to the site, it looks highly unprofessional).

This guy puts out outrageous statistics that are widely disputed. For example, he says that in terms of mass shootings among developed countries, the United States doesn't even make the top ten. And that Norway is number one. What a joke!

Every article I've seen to come out of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Shooting that is critical towards new gun policy, with exception to Reason, all cite statistics published by Lott.

What's most disappointing for me is John Stossel has featured this guy on his show a number of times, and Stossel is supposed to be the one exposing phonies and frauds. Lott has even admitted he gave a forged review for one of his books, pretending to be one of his former students and praising himself as "the best professor I've ever had".

This guy also promotes the idea that illegals are vibrant criminals.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Is John R. Lott, Jr. a fraud?
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:42pm:
If you aren't familiar with John Lott...
I am. His research is well supported and his conclusions are so far not contradicted by any new evidence... Or anybody at all other than people who say his research was ideological. It was not. His accusers are ideologues.

Produce evidence that he was a "progressive" hack, and produce real evidence in refutation, or piss off.

IP Logged

DontTread44
Libertarian Full Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 5:57pm:
I am. His research is well supported and his conclusions are so far not contradicted by any new evidence... Or anybody at all other than people who say his research was ideological. It was not. His accusers are ideologues.

Produce evidence that he was a "progressive" hack, and produce real evidence in refutation, or piss off.

Kay, easy, guy. Understandably the left demonizes Lott and he has been accused of being funded by the NRA, to which the NRA actually butted in and said, "no we don't!!" His research purportedly has severe statistical errors, in one case he claimed "that more than 99% of Brady background check denials are errors. However, an Inspector General's report reveals that these background check denials are accurate in 99.8% of cases".

I'm a Libertarian. Not a Republican. A major reason I'm not a Republican is because I will not be fed obvious bullshit, and I will not spread obvious bullshit. I will seek the honest truth whether it supports my beliefs or not.

IP Logged

Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
DontTread44 wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 6:49pm:
Kay, easy, guy. Understandably the left demonizes Lott and he has been accused of being funded by the NRA, to which the NRA actually butted in and said, "no we don't!!" His research purportedly has severe statistical errors, in one case he claimed "that more than 99% of Brady background check denials are errors. However, an Inspector General's report reveals that these background check denials are accurate in 99.8% of cases".

I'm a Libertarian. Not a Republican. A major reason I'm not a Republican is because I will not be fed obvious bullshit, and I will not spread obvious bullshit. I will seek the honest truth whether it supports my beliefs or not.
You're saying John Lott is a dishonest fraud, or not?

Who is the anonymous "Inspector General" you prefer to believe?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Is John R. Lott, Jr. a fraud?
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy