Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Sheriff Engangers Children by Leaving Gun in Locker room
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sheriff Engangers Children by Leaving Gun in Locker room (Read 283 times)
SnarkySack
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Sheriff Engangers Children by Leaving Gun in Locker room
Mar 13th, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Gosh, and he was licensed and everything . . .

SHEPHERD, Mich. -- A county sheriff is apologizing for accidentally leaving his gun in a mid-Michigan school gym locker room.

Isabella County Sheriff Michael Main said in a statement Tuesday that he takes full responsibility and is "devastated" by his negligence. He says he was at a weekend event at Shepherd Middle School and used the locker room to change from street clothes into uniform.

Main says he believed the gun - his backup weapon - was in his bag when he left.

"In the 20 years of law enforcement service I have never left a weapon anywhere. I have no excuse for my lack of responsibility with this matter," Main wrote in the statement released to CBS affiliate WNEM. "I have worked diligently my entire career to protect people, especially our youth. However, I have failed to do just that, and I'm devastated with my lack of accountability in this matter."

The Morning Sun of Mount Pleasant reports that Shepherd Public Schools Superintendent Claire Bunker told parents that the weapon was found before classes started Monday, prompting speculation about who left the weapon.

Main says a student found the gun and immediately contacted an adult.

In the statement, Main praised the student and apologized to the school and the community.

"I am prepared for the harsh criticism that will follow the release of this information. I understand clearly that I have a higher level of standard that must be met and quite frankly I let myself, my family and the community down," the statement said. "No matter how busy or how much is going on there is no excuse for this and I am truly sorry. This will not happen again."

I used to be burnsred . . .

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Sheriff Engangers Children by Leaving Gun in Locker room
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Well, should he be fired? It seems like he feels bad about it, but of course that's no excuse.

Making Sci-Fi great again since 2063.

Not taking Jeff seriously until he admits this is animal abuse (which he says should be illegal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE-IT7_CaE4

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:01pm:
Well, should he be fired? It seems like he feels bad about it, but of course that's no excuse.

I don't know.  When I was in the Army, losing your weapon was a career killer.  There was a whole battalion in my brigade that was put on lock down because one M16A1 was lost.  Everyone knew whose weapon it was and he was suspected of selling it rather than losing it.  But the officers and NCO's who lived off post were forced to move into cots in the gym so the unit could be on restriction until it was found. 

I presume this Sheriff's pistol was loaded, the kid who found it did the right thing as would ninety-nine percent of kids. 

I don't know.

My point is that government agents aren't any better than ordinary citizens when it comes to gun safety.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:19am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 13th, 2018 at 11:01pm:
I wonder if there are any homes in the village that don't have guns in them?

Instead of panicking and calling for the Sheriff to be fired, it would be a good time to teach a short basic gun safety class in the schools.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 8:19am:
I wonder if there are any homes in the village that don't have guns in them?

Instead of panicking and calling for the Sheriff to be fired, it would be a good time to teach a short basic gun safety class in the schools.

Would that be assuming that they haven't already been taught gun safety?

You've probably hit on a reason for all the gun deaths in your country. No matter how much you teach them gun safety, guns are dangerous weapons that kill people. They go off! They're not safe!

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:18pm:
Would that be assuming that they haven't already been taught gun safety?

You've probably hit on a reason for all the gun deaths in your country. No matter how much you teach them gun safety, guns are dangerous weapons that kill people. They go off! They're not safe!

It is extremely rare for a gun to just "go off" with no human intervention.  Most of the guns I have know were far too emotionless to kill anyone on their own. 

Guns can be mishandled, though, even by the most well-meaning.  For example, a child who has been taught that guns are intrinsically evil in that situation might have decided to pick it up to take it to an adult.  Since he knows  nothing about guns except that they are vicious killers, a tragic mishandling would be likely. 

One of the school I work with teaches its students that in a situation like that, the three steps are to not touch the gun, to tell others not to touch it and to send someone to notify an adult.

A child familiar with guns would be much less likely to panic at the sight of one and do the wrong thing, is I think Jeff's point.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:36pm:
It is extremely rare for a gun to just "go off" with no human intervention.  Most of the guns I have know were far too emotionless to kill anyone on their own. 

Guns can be mishandled, though, even by the most well-meaning.  For example, a child who has been taught that guns are intrinsically evil in that situation might have decided to pick it up to take it to an adult.  Since he knows  nothing about guns except that they are vicious killers, a tragic mishandling would be likely. 

One of the school I work with teaches its students that in a situation like that, the three steps are to not touch the gun, to tell others not to touch it and to send someone to notify an adult.

A child familiar with guns would be much less likely to panic at the sight of one and do the wrong thing, is I think Jeff's point.

I think that as well meaning as you are burnsred, you've all failed to keep your children safe from guns. A story for you:

When in Anacortes, Washington at customs, two of us who were skippering boats down the coast, were waiting to be processed through. The Ferry had just come in and two ladies who were customs officials couldn't look after us because they needed to attend to the ferry traffic first.

The two ladies, both wearing holstered guns came into the shack and sat down. One, the overweigh one, unbuckled her gun belt to take the pressure off he fat stomach.  A minute or two later the call came over the intercom and they both got up to leave, but the fat one forgot to buckle up her gun belt. The gun crashed to the floor and everybody in the shack bolted or ducked as a reaction to the incident.

These were 'cops'! They supposedly had been trained on how to handle guns? This was an incident that was likely a close call for me, after only being in the land of the gun for 15 minutes or so. That gun could have gone off.

Was this incident representative of a big problem in the US? I think so. There are millions of people wandering around with guns and those people have no idea of how to respect the danger their weapons represent to others.

There are just simply too many guns! In this incident it was handguns and that's a big part of the problem.

Ahhell has it right on handguns being banned. I susupect it could be because he's had an experience with one, up close and personal!

IP Logged

SnarkySack

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Sicklers Dink wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 1:57pm:
I think that as well meaning as you are burnsred, you've all failed to keep your children safe from guns. A story for you:

When in Anacortes, Washington at customs, two of us who were skippering boats down the coast, were waiting to be processed through. The Ferry had just come in and two ladies who were customs officials couldn't look after us because they needed to attend to the ferry traffic first.

The two ladies, both wearing holstered guns came into the shack and sat down. One, the overweigh one, unbuckled her gun belt to take the pressure off he fat stomach.  A minute or two later the call came over the intercom and they both got up to leave, but the fat one forgot to buckle up her gun belt. The gun crashed to the floor and everybody in the shack bolted or ducked as a reaction to the incident.

These were 'cops'! They supposedly had been trained on how to handle guns? This was an incident that was likely a close call for me, after only being in the land of the gun for 15 minutes or so. That gun could have gone off.

Was this incident representative of a big problem in the US? I think so. There are millions of people wandering around with guns and those people have no idea of how to respect the danger their weapons represent to others.

There are just simply too many guns! In this incident it was handguns and that's a big part of the problem.

Ahhell has it right on handguns being banned. I susupect it could be because he's had an experience with one, up close and personal!

When your story started, I thought it would be how the fat ladies were open carry civilians.

Of course, the more we arm our government officials, the more likely they are to have accidents with their guns.  I don't favor any police carrying pistols except detectives who keep them out of sight and in condition 3 at most. 

If there is true danger of a gunfight, then shotguns and rifles are the best armament.  A police officer unsnapping his Glock holster when he pulls a guy over for tinted windows is asking for a tragedy.  If he's afraid to approach a certain vehicle during a traffic stop, let his partner be a on the other side of it with the pump action in condition 3 also to prevent accidents or trigger-happiness.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Parents and schools endanger their children by not teaching them about guns and gun safety, and by not teaching them how to safely use guns.

IP Logged

Sicklers Dink

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
SnarkySack wrote on Mar 14th, 2018 at 3:51pm:
When your story started, I thought it would be how the fat ladies were open carry civilians.

Of course, the more we arm our government officials, the more likely they are to have accidents with their guns.  I don't favor any police carrying pistols except detectives who keep them out of sight and in condition 3 at most. 

If there is true danger of a gunfight, then shotguns and rifles are the best armament.  A police officer unsnapping his Glock holster when he pulls a guy over for tinted windows is asking for a tragedy.  If he's afraid to approach a certain vehicle during a traffic stop, let his partner be a on the other side of it with the pump action in condition 3 also to prevent accidents or trigger-happiness.

You're one of the few I pay attention to on this forum now, except to make light of some of the mutts to mock them.

From now on you're on probation. If your post contains any nonsense at all then I won't be responding to you.

The example of intolerable behaviour in this post is: Quote:

There were worthwhile comments made by you but because of that bad behavour I won't bother with it.

I would expect that you would demand at least as much from me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Sheriff Engangers Children by Leaving Gun in Locker room
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy