Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending Bill
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending Bill (Read 1740 times)
SkyChief
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

$1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending Bill
Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Republicans link arms with Democrats to come up with a fiscal disaster.  Not surprising for Democrats - we expect them to spend our hard-earned money like drunken sailors. 

A little dissapointing for the Republicans, though. They really should know better.   But they've carefully lowered themselves into the same trough with the Dems.

And the Deep State has coerceded the president to sign it.   So he will.  When he does, he becomes part of the "swamp" he promised to drain during his campaign.    Many people will call him on this blunder.  I'm guessing Trump is completely oblivious to this.  Which makes it even funnier.  Grin

There is no money to pay for this [2232-page] bill.  It's 100% defecit spending.

I'm glad, actually.  It just proves the point that neither Democrats NOR Republicans can be counted on to do the right thing.

We need some adult leadership.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/379658-read-the-13-trillion-omnibus-spending-b...

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

The Opposition

Libertarian's Forum

Re: $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending Bill
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:53pm:
he promised

And so he did. It's a pity promises aren't legally enforceable.

This moral relativism of yours is exactly what lets government take this freedom, then that freedom, until we have lost them all.
-SnarkySack

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:35am
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:57pm:
They are under most conditions, but campaign promises like "I'll get the economy moving again and create lots of jobs" or "I'll drain the DC Swamp" aren't... They aren't really promises.

If I promise to teleport you to Mars for the low price of $250,000, and you promise to and do pay me in advance, it will be fraud when I can't deliver on my part of the promise. If I am not honorable enough to refund your money (plus damages), you can file a compliant with the local court.

Anyway, close your eyes and I promise to make a pink unicorn appear...

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:39am
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:53pm:
We need some adult leadership.

We keep electing adults, but they keep discovering that our unlimited government is out of the range of their abilities to control, and that other powerful adults already control the unlimited government and are using it to their own benefit.

What we need is limited government. The States should call a convention, soon.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
The Opposition wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 10:57pm:
The American people are fools for not insisting that all contracts bear one of burnsred's stamps.

That would make the contract legally binding and breaking a contract could be punishable in any way chosen by the aggrieved party. The death penalty perhaps because it wouldn't stand in violation of the NAP.

I would only suggest that there be no charge for the stamp because it would be another tax and that would be contrary to libertarian principles.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

SkyChief

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Senator Bob Corker (R-Ten) said of the omnibus bill:

"This is the worst piece of legislation I have ever seen."

Senator Rand Paul (R-Kentucky) poked fun at the absurdity of the bill:

“It’s a good thing we have Republican control of Congress or the Democrats might bust the budget caps, fund planned parenthood and Obamacare, and sneak gun control without due process into an Omni...wait, what?”

Somebody needs to step in and stop all the [fiscal] madness in Washington. The government is granting themselves more power with this bill.  The expansion/reckless spending  continues...

A provision in this bill for Funding that can be used for the Gateway project (another pork-barrel project), which aims to bolster railway infrastructure between New York and New Jersey!  Seriously??    Roll Eyes

What an epic boondoggle this bill is.

Governments will always devise ways to deprive an honest man of his money or property, and claim that it's legal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
SkyChief wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 4:45pm:
Somebody needs to step in and stop all the [fiscal] madness in Washington. The government is granting themselves more power with this bill.  The expansion/reckless spending  continues...

If the States won't call a convention and re-limit our national government, bad things are going to happen.

The States should also call their State Militias home, and tell them to bring their arms and armaments with them.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #7 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 7:04am
Print Post  

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Little Big Man

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Jeff wrote on Mar 22nd, 2018 at 5:49pm:
If the States won't call a convention and re-limit our national government, bad things are going to happen.

Yes, meaning that they will continue to happen.

I love your idea in principle, Billie.  Unfortunately, there are some practical issues that make it nearly impossible.  Any new improved constitution would have to have even more compromises with evil than our original constitution did.  Imagine a new constitution that Texas and California would both agree to.  The original constitution used deliberately vague language that could be interpretted one way by North Carolinians and another way by Pennsylvanians.  That wouldn't fly today because communications are instant and uniform across the states. 

The most important reason it would not work is that the federal government in 1861 asserted an extra-constitutional power to use its military in any way it chose to force states to comply with its desires regardless of what the constitution said.  Because it later rewrote history to make that murderous and destructive power grab into a great moral crusade against slavery, and because so many otherwise intelligent people buy into that, the majority of Americans believe that "saving the union" from uppity states is a legitimate function of our national government.

So if this:

Quote:
The States should also call their State Militias home, and tell them to bring their arms and armaments with them.

ever happened, those militia members attempting to leave federal bases with weapons would simply be mowed down and the same people who cheer General Sherman would cheer the General who ordered the massacre.

It's a nice thought, though, about states having rights.

Snarky no more!

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Little Big Man wrote on Mar 23rd, 2018 at 8:48am:
Yes, meaning that they will continue to happen.

I love your idea in principle, Billie.  Unfortunately, there are some practical issues that make it nearly impossible.  Any new improved constitution would have to have even more compromises with evil than our original constitution did.  Imagine a new constitution that Texas and California would both agree to.  The original constitution used deliberately vague language that could be interpretted one way by North Carolinians and another way by Pennsylvanians.  That wouldn't fly today because communications are instant and uniform across the states. 

The most important reason it would not work is that the federal government in 1861 asserted an extra-constitutional power to use its military in any way it chose to force states to comply with its desires regardless of what the constitution said.  Because it later rewrote history to make that murderous and destructive power grab into a great moral crusade against slavery, and because so many otherwise intelligent people buy into that, the majority of Americans believe that "saving the union" from uppity states is a legitimate function of our national government.

So if this:

ever happened, those militia members attempting to leave federal bases with weapons would simply be mowed down and the same people who cheer General Sherman would cheer the General who ordered the massacre.

It's a nice thought, though, about states having rights.

All is lost and nothing can be done you say? And that's all you are saying.

The power to call out the militia to put down rebellions is right there in the Constitution, and that is what happened when slaver cronies of slave state governments decided to go to war rather than give up living off of the labor of people they viewed as livestock.

"Free hate speech"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › $1.3 Trillion Omnibus Spending Bill
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy