Libertarian's Forum
Libertarian Forum to discuss politics and free market economics.
Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Income Inequality (Read 2497 times)
Jeff
Libertarian Freedom Member

Libertarian's Forum

Re: Income Inequality
Reply #10 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:26am
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:17am:
That article said the U.S. is the worst country in the industrialized world when it comes to extremes in wealth and poverty.
Worse than Russia and China? I don't think so. I think the article is intentionally wrong.

I also know you are wrong about needing to spend more money on children in school. There is plenty wrong with our government schools, but a lack of money isn't one of them.

Breaking the cycle of poverty will require that we stop subsidizing unwed mothers and people who aren't working and free the economy so that it can expand and create jobs.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Billie, I don't know about the extremes in wealth and poverty when it comes to Russia and China.

And no, we don't need to spend more on education, we need to stop allowing children of illegal immigrants to be educated for free.  And we need to attach the money to each student and let schools compete for them.  Also, no teacher's unions. 

Why are you going after unwed mothers?  There's nothing magical about a marriage license that makes people good parents.  Not having the state's (or religion's) stamp of approval on your romantic relationship isn't going to make you a bad parent.  Though it's ideal that children grow up with their biological parents in a loving, committed relationship with each other, we can't all have what's ideal.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:41pm:
Billie, I don't know about the extremes in wealth and poverty when it comes to Russia and China.

You accepted the contention of the article you cited, which said it's worse in America than anywhere else in the world.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #13 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 4:41pm:
And no, we don't need to spend more on education, we need to stop allowing children of illegal immigrants to be educated for free.
Ho hum.

All children in America are "educated" for free, if you consider tax revenues to be magical stuff.

Learn more about what immigrants, illegal or not, do for our economy, and find out how many of them work and pay taxes.

The libertarian position is, eliminate government schools except on a very local level, a level where the teachers and school board members are directly responsible to the parents and payers of local taxes.

I know some of the illegal immigrants in my area, and they are fine people.

IP Logged

Don_G
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
RubyHypatia wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:17am:
That article said the U.S. is the worst country in the industrialized world when it comes to extremes in wealth and poverty.  I'm saying a big reason is that the U.S. has been taking in way more of the world's poor than any of those other industrialized countries.  In fact, taking in so many poor people, whether they're here legally or not, is unfair to the poor people who have been born here.  It's much easier to help your poor when you don't have so many of them.  Breaking the cycle of poverty begins with the children while they're in school.  The more immigrant children (legal or not) we have in our classrooms, the less money we have to spend on each student.  Unfortunately, Dems want more poor people here because the poor tend to vote for those who will redistribute wealth, they want a Robin Hood Government.  Dems love government dependence.      

You're a broken record Ruby, but patriotic til the last. A lot of American women are because only some are beginning to think for themselves . Hence, they bought Trump.

But you shouldn't let Sickler make comparisons of your country with Russia and/or China. They're both having growing pains and are just starting to catch up. Demand comparisons to the leading countries in the world! If you've been paying attention you would have seen lists posted on what countries they are that lead in the H.D.I.

And then comparions on health care need to be compared with basically the same countries.

And then life expectancy, infant mortality rate, and other social factors in the US shouldn't be praised with your patriotic applause if far better than Ethiopia.

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
But you shouldn't let Sickler make comparisons of your country with Russia and/or China. They're both having growing pains...
Their governments have been essentially unchanged for a very long time...

Why would they just now be having "growing pains"? I thought Stalin took care of all that sort of nonsense when he was The Great Leader.

Are you asking us to believe that Marx and Lenin and Stalin and Mao were all wrong?

When was it they made profits legal in Russia? Right about the time the ex-KGB cronies took over anything of economic value in Russia?

That was long time ago, and the mess they have created in Russia is what you call "growing pains". Shame on you.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Billie, you think all those poor immigrants give more than they take?  What about the ones working under the table, and their kids are still getting a free education?  They show up in the emergency room, they have to be treated whether they can pay or not.  The legal ones get government benefits.

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
How the U.S. Subsidizes Europe's Health Care Costs
http://fortune.com/2015/11/03/us-europe-healthcare-gdp/

IP Logged

Jeff

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
But you shouldn't let Sickler make comparisons of your country with Russia and/or China. They're both having growing pains and are just starting to catch up.
Here's some current news about another of your favorite "socially responsible governments" Dan-

http://thehill.com/opinion/international/381294-cubas-next-president-faces-choic...

It looks as if their ideologically imprisoned "leaders" are willing to keep Cubans from even starting to "catch up". They feel that preserving the "socially responsible communist system" is more important than Cubans catching up even with the Russians... Cry

IP Logged

RubyHypatia

Libertarian's Forum

Reply #19 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 7:49am
Print Post  
What is with these countries that they keep trying to make communism work when it's just beating a dead horse?  It's capitalism that's responsible for them having the latest in technology, but heaven forbid they acknowledge that.  I'm reminded of the Occupy Wall Street idiots with their smart phones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Send TopicPrint

Libertarian's ForumLibertarian's ForumFreedom Forum › Income Inequality
Libertarian's Forum

Libertarian's Forum Information Rules, Agreement and Privacy Policy